PDA

View Full Version : Search button

cjskier
07-29-2007, 08:50 AM
When you use the search, why do you have a 120 second IP block after you do a search? Like it does to stop spamming on the boards? Such a pain in the ass when you are looking for things and have to keep wait 2 minutes to search again.

troutfan
07-29-2007, 08:55 AM
It's a necessary evil due to all the spammers that have been hitting this site and as it says to keep from overloading the server. ;)

cjskier
07-29-2007, 11:51 AM
It's a necessary evil due to all the spammers that have been hitting this site and as it says to keep from overloading the server. ;)
I still don't understand. It has nothing to do with spamming. All other forums i go to have the spam blocker when posting, but never on the search button.

troutfan
07-29-2007, 01:17 PM
We'll run ti it by the webamster webmaster and see if anything can be done. ;D

Mickey_Thomas
07-30-2007, 06:27 AM
We'll run ti by the webamster and see if anything can be done. Tony, Tony, Tony, when you forget your spell check everyone knows ;D ;D ;D

troutfan
07-30-2007, 06:35 AM
It's not spelling, it's that sometimes my hunt and pecker doesn't work so well when I'm in a hurry! ;D ;D It almost looks like I'm typing with an Italian accent-Was amatta you? ;D ;D

FS Marketing
07-31-2007, 07:16 AM
As most of you know we had a huge problem with automated posting of "not-so-desireable-content" leading to virus laden websites. on research of this one of the suggestions from the programmers of this forum's software was to increase the time from what we had (30 seconds) to 3 minutes. We thought 3 minutes was really long, so opted for 2 minutes. Between this and other efforts, our "situation" has diminished to almost non-existent, so for the time being, we will not be reducing the time wait which applies to the WHOLE program including, obviously, the Search function.

It is either wait a moment or read "not-so-desireable-content" and get viruses. Best I can do presently. Hope you all understand.

Deborah
Admin

cjskier
07-31-2007, 05:24 PM
As most of you know we had a huge problem with automated posting of "not-so-desireable-content" leading to virus laden websites. on research of this one of the suggestions from the programmers of this forum's software was to increase the time from what we had (30 seconds) to 3 minutes. We thought 3 minutes was really long, so opted for 2 minutes. Between this and other efforts, our "situation" has diminished to almost non-existent, so for the time being, we will not be reducing the time wait which applies to the WHOLE program including, obviously, the Search function.

It is either wait a moment or read "not-so-desireable-content" and get viruses. Best I can do presently. Hope you all understand.

Deborah
Admin
I see. Sounds like a new program is in order when its convenient. But if it fixes a problem, I guess it makes sense.