PDA

View Full Version : Monte and MBF 1/20-23

FlyWright
01-24-2015, 03:48 PM
Fished Monte Sl and Suisun Bay near the MBF and the 680 bridge for a few days with some hits, some misses and a couple fish. All fishing this trip was NBE...nothin' but eel.

Wed - Got a late start and fished solo near the bridge starting around 1400 for about an hour with no action. Since the flood was dying, I picked up the hook and relocated into Monte for the evening. I marked fish near the mouth and set anchor for the night. I hooked into one on the ebb that ripped line for a couple hundred yards before darting to the near bank. I thought I had him turned around for a bit as be moved a little closer to my boat, then he pointed his snout downstream and made a sprint for Grizzly Bay. When my line counter hit 475 ft, I tightened the drag a little bit to put more pressure on him. My drag must have been heating us and it started grabbing. Then he came unbuttoned. I never saw him, but am convinced it was the largest fish of my lifetime. Must have been over 9 ft. When I retrieved the line, I found my 7/0 Gammy River Bait hook was bent in an offset angle! That's a big fish!

Thurs - Picked up my buddy at Belden's and fished the day in Monte. We marked pockets of fish along the way from the launch to the mouth and fished the biggest collections. We had a couple drive-by's, but no hookups. A couple buddies were also on the slough in their own boat and had similar luck. I dropped my friend off at Benden's before sunset, noting a cluster of fish just west of the bridge. I returned to that spot to fish as the sun set. My friends came by and boarded for a beer. Just as they got onboard, rod #2 got hit. I was happy to have their assistance with the net and camera as I landed a 35 incher. That was all the action for the night as that spot got very grassy on the ebb and became too much trouble to be worth it, so I quit for the night.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p21/akroeger/2015/January%20Fishing/35%20in%20sturgeon_zpscr5gkfwy-1.jpg

Fri - Woke up to some of the thickest fog I've encountered in this area, so I stayed hunkered down at anchor in the warmth of my cabin. As the fog thinned, I lifted anchor and headed toward the mouth, feeling my way with radar and GPS at times. There were a few boats out there, but they all showed up fine on radar from a mile away...long before my eyes could see them.

As I reached the MBF, the skies cleared and it warmed up nicely. I started marking fish near the ships and continued west, away from the other anchored anglers. I marked a nice grouping and set the anchor for one last effort before calling it a day.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p21/akroeger/2015/January%20Fishing/20150123_133254_zps6wtz0ypm-1.jpg

A little after 1300, I got a hit and missed it on the swing. Moments later, as I'm standing at attention focused on the rod like a laser beam, he returned and I swung for the bleachers. Fish on!! He put up about a 15 minute fight and surrendered at my swimstep. He taped out at 62 inches and flopped back into the water after posing for me.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p21/akroeger/2015/January%20Fishing/20150123_131427_zpsvs03hww1-1.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p21/akroeger/2015/January%20Fishing/20150123_131446_zpsrirtqdqh-1.jpg

Here are the details of that last catch:

WEATHER: Fog just cleared, clear skies, calm winds, 62*

WATER: 52*, stained

TIDE: Flood, 2 hrs before high tide

DEPTH: 34 feet

BAIT: Eel with Surgeon Frenzy and Bloody Tuna scents

ACTION: 6/10 with a bite every 20-30 minutes

Quality for the whole trip: 1 35", 1 62", 1 monster that got away for one Angler. (Buddy didn't get action on day 2)

I covered 57.5 NM in 8.7 hrs of running over the 3 days.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p21/akroeger/2015/January%20Fishing/20150123_153345_zpsj4vsmiir-1.jpg

LONO100
01-24-2015, 04:09 PM
looks like a great trip. i was out there yesterday as well. we were launching out of martinez and had to wait until the fog cleared before we took off. we marked lots and lots of fish, we were on eel/roe combos, got a few hits, but couldnt make anything stick. im hoping to get out again next weekend.

salmonid
01-24-2015, 04:21 PM
FlyWright the sturgeon master!

:worthy:

Sounds like a good trip to me, even w/o a keeper.

I think getting some new reels with more stopping power is in order! I may be interested in your used LCs??

Best,

QueenAnnesRevenge
01-24-2015, 07:13 PM
FlyWright the sturgeon master!

:worthy:

Sounds like a good trip to me, even w/o a keeper.

I think getting some new reels with more stopping power is in order! I may be interested in your used LCs??

Best,
With a fish that big more drag wouldn't help, especially if it bent a big river bait hook. With a partner he may have been able to follow the fish until it was tired

Swimbaitjunkie
01-24-2015, 07:37 PM
Great report..... Never seen boga grips use on Dino's B4..... Cool pics....

heatsource
01-24-2015, 09:30 PM
Al,
why not drop anchor and give chase?
the 72" fish i got last night burned 300' so quickly i had to drop anchor and give chase in the fog.
she ran into a tiny inlet with a lot of pilings over 1/4 mile from our anchor, and would have been lost for sure had we not chased...
of course we had a hard time getting out of the inlet in the fog, let alone finding the anchor bouy.
so we droped the spare anchor in an unknown location and hunkered down hoping for the best- ended up getting another keeper there before day light came and the fog lifted enough to go back for my primary anchor...

congrats on a good trip :)

FlyWright
01-24-2015, 11:10 PM
Al,
why not drop anchor and give chase?

I was solo onboard a 34 ft trawler and anchored for the night. It ain't happenin' on my boat. I've boated a 90 incher without chasing him. If I can't bring him into my direction, I'll lose. I can live with that.

Salmonid, I might have the drag rebuilt on that one reel, but I ain't selling those reels! I love my 500LCs.

Here's a pic of my Saber rod while fighting the bif one. I could do nothing but watch him run and burn up y reel, so I grabbed my cellphone for a picture. I didn't think the picture came out, but I like the result.

BTW, that Sabre is a custom rod fished by my best friend's Dad and is quite stiff. I've never seen bendo action like this on that rod before.

monkey916
01-24-2015, 11:24 PM
The link to that pic is messed up FlyWright... Great story though...

salmonid
01-24-2015, 11:31 PM
Salmonid, I might have the drag rebuilt on that one reel, but I ain't selling those reels! I love my 500LCs.

Just a thought!

That is a heck of a pic... awesome.

Take care and keep it up,

monkey916
01-24-2015, 11:57 PM
Pic is still not there... Not complaining... just saying...

salmonid
01-25-2015, 10:06 AM
Quit complaining... J/K!

It was there, maybe FW is tweaking it?

Pic is still not there... Not complaining... just saying...

GoT HeeeeM
01-25-2015, 10:43 AM
nice report FW, that's some serious time otw...I foul hooked a 7+ footer last year that came close to dumping all 300yds of 80# pp on my mxL... got a blister the size of a cherry tomato on my thumb trying to stop it before throwing anchor to chase haha

FlyWright
01-25-2015, 11:27 AM
OK, I think I fixed the pic.

Fish_For_It
01-25-2015, 01:32 PM
This was one of the best fishing reports and greatest fishing stories I have read in quite some time, thank you. Trying to release an anchor by yourself, in the fog or at night is not a safe thing to do. Watching line scream off of your reel is one of the things we dream of. Not being able to turn the screaming fish is one of our nightmares. I have always told myself that I will tighten the drag to the max and if that doesn't work wrap it around the cleat before I let any fish "spool" me. Loosing the fish of a life time is tough but your picture of the adventure is priceless.

The only thing I may have missed in my excitement of reading the multi-day adventure is what was the bait of choice? Anyway, thanks again for the detailed information and for sharing this wonderful fishing experience.

38poundsalmon
01-25-2015, 11:43 PM
Hey how were the conditions out there? Would I be able to fish MBF on a 12' Livingston with 25 Johnson?

Skipjacker707
01-26-2015, 04:15 AM
I would say NO on fishing the fleet area in a 12' but there are people who do. Personally I don't think it's very safe. If you want to fish close to the area in a more sheltered spot I would launch at beldens and fish Monty. That way if it does get nasty you can just drive back up the slough without having to cross a big open body of water that can get pretty nasty.

FlyWright
01-26-2015, 11:05 AM
I would say NO on fishing the fleet area in a 12' but there are people who do. Personally I don't think it's very safe. If you want to fish close to the area in a more sheltered spot I would launch at beldens and fish Monty. That way if it does get nasty you can just drive back up the slough without having to cross a big open body of water that can get pretty nasty.

Agreed... or launch Martinez or Benicia and fish near the 680 bridge, but it can get choppy there with wind waves and wakes.

heatsource
01-26-2015, 03:58 PM
on a calmer day my 12' alum is fine at the fleet

I am however a very experienced boater and know my limitations and when to run for the slough

kris k
01-26-2015, 08:26 PM
I spent a lot of time on suisun in a 12 foot aluminum. It had a deeper v hull than a lot of boats it's size, but I felt very comfortable once I knew what I was doing. My biggest piece of advice is to pay close attention to the direction of the current in relation to the wind. A breezy day can get sloppy real quick if the tide starts running in opposition to the wind. Starting out pick calm days especially focusing on the tides that are running with the prevailing winds. And be ready to call it if you see sheep from the dock.

BaitMaster
01-28-2015, 06:56 AM
My buddy and I fished out of a '12 mirrocraft last weekend during the derby....

Like mentioned, weather, currents and knowing when to call it quits will keep your pants dry ;)

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2