PDA

View Full Version : Need identifying this rod

sherbig
01-27-2015, 05:59 AM
I found this this split bamboo rod, and I would like to know some more information about it. I forgot to measure the length. I believe it to be 5' and a trolling rod. I'll post more pics later if I need to. But I do have a pic of what's left of the "brand."25432 Thanks for the help!

houla
01-27-2015, 06:16 AM
Premier.
The Classic Fly Rod Forum • PREMIER bamboo rod? (http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=2707)

sherbig
01-27-2015, 08:21 AM
Thanks! Do you know if it is worth anything?

houla
01-27-2015, 08:34 AM
No idea. I stumbled upon this post and a guess and a Google search led me to that. Hopefully a more knowledgeable member can help you out.

Waterdog
01-27-2015, 10:42 AM
Without seeing the reel seat area and seeing what the guides look like its dificult to provide any info on this Rod. Since it's only 5' I assume it is not a fly rod but would need to see the rest of the rod. There use to be a Heddon premier fly rod. If that's it I don't know the value but I doubt it worth more than $100. I believe Montgomery Wards or maybe it was Sears sold a brand of premier bamboo rods long ago but again I do not know its value. Post more pics, may help to ID it.
i had a heavy duty split bamboo rod I bought for $2 as a kid. Took it out to the bay, got snagged and in trying to free the line I snapped the rod in half. Don't remember if it was a premier or not.

sherbig
01-28-2015, 05:37 AM

Here are some more pics of the rod.

Waterdog
01-28-2015, 08:56 AM
Definitely not a fly rod. Looks just like the one I had as a kid previously mentioned. I think the rod is 60 to 70 years old made in the 40's or early 50's. Various companies made similar rods but the company that made the most was called The Montague Company. I think the rod may be a Montague but the Montague name should appear on it and I do not know if they made a rod called premier. Doubt it's worth much, definitely under $100. Ocassionally there are antique fishing equipment meets and if you find one you may want to take it to one and see if anyone can give you more info. If it were mine I'd just put it on the wall of my "man cave" to display.

nvthis
01-28-2015, 09:38 AM
If it were mine I'd just put it on the wall of my "man cave" to display.GOOD stuff..