PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle vs Quarry Lakes vs ? for toddler.

stingray4540
02-02-2015, 07:50 AM
Hi guys,
Looking for some advise.
I want to take my 2 year old out to see if she's coordinated enough to catch her first fish. I usually hit Chabot when I want some local bank fishing. But, with the algae problem, I don't think I'm going to take her there.

So, what's the scoop on Del Valle and/or the Quarry Lakes for this coming weekend? Which is better for bank fishing? I've got too much crap going on this week to get the boat ready, so I'm just gonna have to try our luck on shore. Plus, it'll give her more room to stretch and run around when she gets board; she's pretty ADD...

Any help would be great so I'm not going in blindly. I saw someone report only one nice fish caught yesterday at Del Valle, so I'm inclined to see if this weekend is when it kicks off, but then again, I saw a report that made it sound like the quarry lakes were doing real well the last few weeks of January, but no recent reports that I can find.

Troutbead
02-02-2015, 09:20 AM
If it is really about seeing if your daughter can reel in a trout on her own then take her to a pay-and-take trout pond. There are four in the Bay Area and she is assured to get a bite real quick. Google them.

Spartan79
02-02-2015, 10:05 AM
If it is really about seeing if your daughter can reel in a trout on her own then take her to a pay-and-take trout pond. There are four in the Bay Area and she is assured to get a bite real quick. Google them.

I personally like Del Valle for the location and the variety of fish species. The bank fishing can be good on both the west and easy swim beach. I think the east swim beach may be a little easier to get to. I've never fished from the west swim beach off the bank. Only trolled by it. If bait fishing at DV I like to use inflated crawlers, power eggs, or mice tails with a basic setup and a leader from 12" to 18" . Also doesn't hurt to throw a rapala or Panther Martin if you have a second rod stamp. (Or extra time if you have a little one ). Both beaches tend to draw a decent size crowd on the weekends though.

stingray4540
02-02-2015, 01:31 PM

Thanks, but I don't fish for the catching. If we don't catch anything, she'll have fun just being out and running around. She likely doesn't have the coordination to real in a fish on her own anyway, but she'll probably get a kick out of holding the rod with me and feeling it, and seeing it when I get it in. Last time she went fishing, she was too young to have any interest or even care what was going on.

I personally like Del Valle for the location and the variety of fish species. The bank fishing can be good on both the west and easy swim beach. I think the east swim beach may be a little easier to get to. I've never fished from the west swim beach off the bank. Only trolled by it. If bait fishing at DV I like to use inflated crawlers, power eggs, or mice tails with a basic setup and a leader from 12" to 18" . Also doesn't hurt to throw a rapala or Panther Martin if you have a second rod stamp. (Or extra time if you have a little one ). Both beaches tend to draw a decent size crowd on the weekends though.

Thanks for the tips, I'll check out Del Valle then. Gotta go look up a map now to find out which beaches you're talking about, lol. Maybe I'll get lucky and the rain will keep some of the people home. Well, I'm a wishful thinker anyway.

Troutbead
02-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Del Valle vs Quarry Lakes vs ? for toddler. Hi guys,
Looking for some advise.
I want to take my 2 year old out to see if she's coordinated enough to catch her first fish.

Thanks, but I don't fish for the catching. If we don't catch anything, she'll have fun just being out and running around. She likely doesn't have the coordination to real in a fish on her own anyway, but she'll probably get a kick out of holding the rod with me and feeling it, and seeing it when I get it in. Last time she went fishing, she was too young to have any interest or even care what was going on.

Sorry. You said you were looking for a place for your daughter to catch HER first fish, that why I suggested a trout pond. It looks like you were were actually looking for a place for YOU to fish. The best way to get a kid hooked on fishing is to go were you know they will catch fish quickly. :fish_jumps:Good luck

stingray4540
02-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Sorry. You said you were looking for a place for your daughter to catch HER first fish, that why I suggested a trout pond. It looks like you were were actually looking for a place for YOU to fish. The best way to get a kid hooked on fishing is to go were you know they will catch fish quickly. :fish_jumps:Good luck

I appreciate the suggestion, and I know why you made it, we just have different opinions when it comes to fishing.
I am intending to take her fishing more than myself, although, at 2 years old I think I'll likely be doing the majority of the actually fishing and reeling etc.
Maybe when I know she can actually hold onto a pole and reel on her own, I might consider a pond. That being said, my dad didn't need to take us to any ponds as kids to get us into fishing. Four to 5 trips a year to the Sierras was enough to get us hooked, so I'll likely forego the pond route unless they start showing a disinterest in fishing. She'll have plenty of opportunities to catch fish over the years, and hopefully she'll enjoy the time outdoors as much as the catching of fish, otherwise fishing is gonna be hard for her to enjoy...