PDA

View Full Version : antelope lake ?

finsane
02-12-2015, 10:53 PM
I am interested in fishing antelope lake this spring. Does anyone have any info on this lake, which campgrounds are good, the predominant baitfish etc. ? Thanks in advance.

miko733
02-15-2015, 06:46 AM
fishing can be extremily good there. my friend, a fly fisherman has had 30 plus days of nice trout float tubing. last report was water level was down a lot. all the lakes in the area are down around 50%. can't help u w campground. we usually stay in susanville.

okie
02-15-2015, 08:27 AM
I am interested in fishing antelope lake this spring. Does anyone have any info on this lake, which campgrounds are good, the predominant baitfish etc. ? Thanks in advance.

i fished there a couple of times in 2001 for bass, it was the best lg mouth fishing i have seen
other than anderson near morgan hill. but the last time i was at antelope was right after the big
fires up there, they used so much water out of the lake, i didnt even recognize the hot spots
because they were several feet out of the water.
good luck
be safe

finsane
02-16-2015, 07:07 PM
thanks guys

nvthis
02-17-2015, 08:57 AM
Haven't been there since the fires... Good trout fishing though. Rainbow and brook. A lot of brook. Used to be a trollers paradise in the main body by the dam, just steer clear of the massive weed beds. Also, if you intend to keep, the fish are a bit wormy.

Prettyman01
02-19-2015, 08:55 AM
Fished there last summer for 3 days and found great action on planter bows between 10-14 inches and a couple holdovers to 18". Wedding ring/dodgers and f-7 rapalas down 10-15 feet.

Lifted
02-19-2015, 09:37 AM
One of my friends was there back in December and he said they caught a two limits in two hours jigging nightcrawlers, then switched to bass. They don't troll since he just has a little car-topper with a trolling motor. He showed me pics and the fish were all good size 14-16". I definitely plan on heading their this spring, but I'll probably be making a day trip from Reno. I've also heard good things about Antelope from a guy that goes to Almanor a lot, but he didn't give me any specifics other than we outta take the boat there some time.

finsane
02-19-2015, 08:17 PM
Massive weed beds by the dam ? Sounds like a pretty shallow lake then... Are there any browns ?

jeffe
02-19-2015, 11:13 PM
Haven't been there since the fires... Good trout fishing though. Rainbow and brook. A lot of brook. Used to be a trollers paradise in the main body by the dam, just steer clear of the massive weed beds. Also, if you intend to keep, the fish are a bit wormy.

Brookies, I know another East side lake near Mammoth (Kirman, Catch and release hike-in) where they grow to footballs. Hows the Brookie fishing in Antelope?

nvthis
02-20-2015, 08:49 AM
Brookies, I know another East side lake near Mammoth (Kirman, Catch and release hike-in) where they grow to footballs. Hows the Brookie fishing in Antelope?The brooks we caught were never huge, just plentiful and easy. We had kids there catching them with bobbers and worm in the 12" to 13" range. Never saw any browns come out, but they could be there. And, as I recall, the main lake was the only place to troll as the arms of the lake can get fairly choked out.

Lifted
03-04-2015, 03:22 PM
I'm reviving this thread, because I want to camp up there this Friday night and fish Saturday. I don't care if it's cold, but my main concern is if there will be snow. I've never been before, so I don't exactly know what the elevation is. Will most of the snow have melted as if it were Frenchman/Davis or is there the risk of the ramp being icy/snowed-in/closed?

Edit: The CA Dept of Water Resources 2/25/15 data for "Antelope Ridge" says 0" of snow, so I'm going to assume it'll be ok.