PDA

View Full Version : search parameter

smallfry
03-05-2007, 07:31 AM
It looks like you should be able to search for all posts by a member. *There is a field for a members name and a drop down menu for selecting posts by member only but the results I always get reflect the search string by all members. *(I did select by member only)

What I'd like to do is get all posts by a single member. *Is there some way to get posts by a single member. *If there is I've not been able to get my browser to do so sucessfully other than to type the members name as the search string but that only get results with the members name in a subject line or text field.

drstressor
03-05-2007, 09:11 AM
The search function is easy to use, but stupid. I requires the entry of a search string. I have been able to fool it by entering the article "a" as the search string and selecting "match partial words". Then if you enter a members screen name you can search for all of their posts or threads that they have started at your discretion.

SuperDave
03-05-2007, 09:25 AM
I think his glitch might be the drop down box to the right of the "user name" box. I've noticed that I have to select "topics started by someone" or "threads posted in by someone" to get an individual member. The other GIANT variable here is again the fact that the user's display name might have a different spelling or capitalization than their sign in name. My sign in name, "Hinrid" and display name SuperDave". Mickey, VVBob, Allfish, Rodney Dangerfish and many more with different display names.

drstressor
03-05-2007, 09:57 AM
I've noticed that I have to select "topics started by someone" or "threads posted in by someone" to get an individual member.

I assumed that he was already doing that.

You guys with stealth identities are always a problem. ;) ;D

SuperDave
03-05-2007, 10:41 AM
You guys with stealth identities are always a problem.

BL, if you know of any post that this person posted in recently, go to it and click on the member's profile. It will display his/her real member name. The program is also case sensitive. MetalMouth's member name is metalmouth, searching as MetalMouth is entirely different.

smallfry
03-05-2007, 12:10 PM
The search function is easy to use, but stupid.

I agree with you Doc, while there is a search field for "by user" *(member) it requires a search string to do a search. *Odd indeed.

I did use the variable: "Search for topics posted...etc" as you quoted.

I hadn't thought of the search text being case sensitive, another oddity, something appropiate for passwords, not search strings in a public forum.

I'll look closer at my spelling, case sensitivity and I will also try to use the Explorer browser (as much as I dislike it) as I noticed the page layout is quite different on that browser. *(I usually use either Firefox or Safari on my Mac/Windows laptop). *Hopefully all that should get the results I wanted.

Thanks to all for your help.

[left]

AllFishNoWork
03-05-2007, 06:16 PM
You want all of a members posts? If you are looking up one of those sickos [smiley=smiley_crazy.gif] with more than 4500 posts, it may blow up your computer :o I may be stating the obvious, but you can get a members last 25 posts from their profile.

drstressor
03-05-2007, 06:33 PM
I believe the sicko level starts at 4000 posts. ;)

metalmouth
03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Whoo, I just barely made it under the Sicko level! ;D :o 8-)

MB_Kevin
03-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Whoo, I just barely made it under the Sicko level! *;D :o 8-)

Don't worry you will be there soon ;D

troutfan
03-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Whoo, I just barely made it under the Sicko level! *;D :o 8-)
Congratulations MM. You are this close to being an official sicko! ;D

metalmouth
03-06-2007, 06:40 PM
3999, Wow I better use the next one wisely! :P

SuperDave
03-06-2007, 07:06 PM
3999, Wow I better use the next one wisely! *:P

Welcome to the sicko side of kahunaville. :)

metalmouth
03-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks Dave, I think! ;D :o :P

DragonSlayer
03-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks Dave, I think! *;D :o :P

112 post in 2 days ............. you've been doing your share of searching :o

metalmouth
03-12-2007, 07:45 AM
I have to be careful not to wear out the keys on the keyboard. ;) I'm averaging 4.5 posts a day and Mickey is at 8.25 a day. I guess that's why he is the King of posters! ;D