PDA

View Full Version : 2015 almost turkey time

deadeye
02-15-2015, 11:22 PM
i know its a little early but this weather makes me think its spring time and im itchin to get out there and scout for old tom anybody gone out yet

Waterdog
02-16-2015, 08:53 AM
I will be going turkey hunting for the first time this year. Looking forward to it. I have lots of questions but will post them later.

BigUnInDaBoat
02-16-2015, 09:15 AM
The big groups of birds have not broken up yet in the foothills. When you stop seeing them in large flocks it's time to start scouting. Too cool at night still, only thing that is stopping an early breeding season. I really dislike hunting them after all the breeding has occurred, makes for a tougher hunt, and I've had to resort to spot and stalk when it's happened.

deadeye
02-16-2015, 03:43 PM
yup there is a group on the hill across from me now and its all toms so your right they havent broke up yet and if we dont get some weather they might start early and just like you said the traditional way of hunting them stops and spot and stalk starts it happened a lot to me last year and it look like we are on track for the same thing this year we need weather

BigUnInDaBoat
02-16-2015, 08:20 PM
yup there is a group on the hill across from me now and its all toms so your right they havent broke up yet and if we dont get some weather they might start early and just like you said the traditional way of hunting them stops and spot and stalk starts it happened a lot to me last year and it look like we are on track for the same thing this year we need weather

The hens won't produce eggs until a set amount of daylight hours it seems. I raised some Narragansetts last year and they hens did not start laying until late march.

Judging by when the wild hens showed up around here with their poults (they'd come and socialize with my turkeys) that the wild birds may have been only a week ahead of them.

Got my turkey vest out today and made sure it's read, only 40 more days, haha.

Seon
02-16-2015, 08:45 PM
No shortage of Turkeys here on my property. They're crapping all over my driveway, which is about 1/4 mile long. I had two Toms pecking my truck's chrome bumper thinking itís an opponent.

BigUnInDaBoat
02-16-2015, 09:34 PM
No shortage of Turkeys here on my property. They're crapping all over my driveway, which is about 1/4 mile long. I had two Toms pecking my truck's chrome bumper thinking itís an opponent.

I can help ;) Killed my first archery tom last spring!