PDA

View Full Version : Pier rod holder

niko
02-17-2015, 04:03 PM
Does anybody know where I can purchase a rod holder that will clamp on to a wooden pier, and lay my rod flat ? I seen a couple guys fishing in antioch, they had rod holders that clamped onto the pier, and they just layed their rods onto them flat, so that the tip faced the water.

One guy had one in orange, the other in white. It looked pretty cool, but I can't find them anywhere

alucardbear
02-17-2015, 04:09 PM
They made them, that's why you can't find them. There are some shops that sell a all metal version. But it's pretty pricey, the shop is in el cerrito.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Line Stretcher
02-17-2015, 04:56 PM
Scotty makes a clamp on rod holder.

robn510
02-17-2015, 06:59 PM
I made my own with a piece of abs and 2 bungee cords. It's basically just a piece of abs pipe with a hole drilled at the bottom and 2 holes towards the middle (most wood piers use 10's or 12's for the railing) you can get fancy by adding a bottom plate (drill 2 holes through the top bigger than the screws and and mount the board, like attaching steel coping on a halfpipe) which will prevent the pipe from rolling but I havent had any problems with that using 2 bungies. with the plate attached you can use it on metal piers too.
I've never seen one of the pipe holders get yanked off a pier but i have seen those store bought holders and their rods get janked off the railing more than a few times.

You dont need to waste money buying one when it takes all of 30 minutes to make one out of some scraps. save your cash to buy baits.

And if you're good with a jigsaw...then

niko
02-19-2015, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. And robn510, that's a nice holder, I'll try making one, thank you!

Jetspray
02-21-2015, 05:30 AM
Problem is pier's vary in rail size and some have metal pipe. I would go with a clamp affixed to some PVC. You can get cheap one's from Harbor Freight or Homeless Depot:7419ne:.........Jetspray

niko
02-24-2015, 09:19 AM
Problem is pier's vary in rail size and some have metal pipe. I would go with a clamp affixed to some PVC. You can get cheap one's from Harbor Freight or Homeless Depot:7419ne:.........Jetspray
That's is true, they do come in different sizes. Thank you jetspray

Jetspray
02-25-2015, 06:36 PM
That's is true, they do come in different sizes. Thank you jetspray
Well I did some fishing at Berkley Pier, Capitola Pier, Dumbarton Pier, Pacifica Pier, and others in the past when I lived in Fremont (1957 - 2016). I even had a foldable cart (like old ladies use to shop with) that I used to drag gear out to use. I still have some salmon bobbers around for casting under the pier with a 16 foot shore pole............Jetspray