PDA

View Full Version : Los Vaqueros Lunker 2/18/15

miko733
02-18-2015, 10:27 PM
Somebody caught a 15 lb trout today trolling a repala, but would disclose location. We managed three limits of trout and legal striper. Caught him on power bait!! Also caught a small large mouth bass on power bait. What gives??

gcabral
02-20-2015, 01:43 PM
what location did you catch limits? what was your setup and PB color? looking to take my son out next weekend. thanks.

kelpkutter
02-23-2015, 09:07 AM
My buddy used to work there and he said he caught a monster trout while trolling for stripers. They are out there but where is why it's called fishing.

Fish_For_It
02-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Big boys are all after that easy, fat meal, regardless of the species. With the lake holding all these species of trophy size fish, it is no wonder that you have a nice variety to choose from. Keep up the good work.

Spartan79
02-23-2015, 04:38 PM
what location did you catch limits? what was your setup and PB color? looking to take my son out next weekend. thanks.

The south cove appears to be the most popular. I went last Saturday we were inline at 704am. We didn't to the toll booth until roughly 740am. We rented a boat and trolled for trout. No luck. But saw several fish caught from the shore, specifically the south cove.

gcabral
02-24-2015, 04:03 PM
i'm headed there with my boy on sunday. i think we may try a boat this time and head to penn cove out by the damn. may just throw out some PB and try some rapalas.

miko733
02-24-2015, 08:00 PM
fished there today. We got three limits of nice trout. If u don't pay attention to your rod tip you will probably miss over half the bites. The trout aren't that aggressive. After the rod tip moves, we feed line to the trout until they pull. We only had a few pull downs. We fished next to three other boats and they only caught a few trout each. I use a 3 weight fly rod blank I converted to a trout rod ( I used to make custom rods) and use 1/8 oz sinkers with power bait. I usually out fish my buddies and we figure the difference is the super light tip on my rod. My rod caught most the fish as usual so I let my friends have fun with my rod. This is the same rod I landed the 10 lb trout on.
My friend now wants me to make him a super ultralight rod. Bye the way the butt of my rod is reinforced with an additional section of carbon fiber from a telescope rod section which gives it great power. It's 8' and weights only 2 ounces...

gcabral
02-26-2015, 03:12 PM
i went for the first time a couple weeks ago. used a light rod with 4lb test, 1/8oz sinker and PB. i fished from shore and left the line loose with a small bobber hanging from the line for the visual. we got skunked. so did most around us. hope its better sunday in the boat. i used to use cod liver oil at other locations so i may try that as well. also used PB worms at the end of the hook with PE. anyway, a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work!