PDA

View Full Version : 2/19/05 my and my dads first sturgeons ever

fish.on
02-21-2015, 11:51 AM
landed my first sturgeon ever finally. me and my dad launched out of sherman lake fished near the powerlines in about 30' of water , water temp was about 56. got to our spot around 12 n the afternoon. baited up with some roe eel, ghost shrimp and anchovy. so my dad baited up with anchovy on one rod and ell on the other. while i had eel on one and roe on the other. just about a hour in my dad starts getting some bites on the anchovy he picks up his rod waits and sets the hook and looks to be a good fish, so i go for the net and to my surprise the fish shows itself and its a sturgeon that took his anchovy. landed it and it was undersized 36" a quik pic and back it goes to grow. so now im like hmmm a sturgeon on anchovy wow lol. he kinda made a joke of it to cuz ive been after getting on a sturgeon for the last couple years using eel roe shrimp baits. and hes like see just a good old anchovy and i got one lol. hes first sturgeon ever.so i change one rod over to anchovy and after about 1/2 hour my rod almost goes over board i go for it feels like a real good fish and i get it to the boat land it ands it a 13.1# striper my pb for a striper, my wife loves striper and it being my pb it came home with us. so now im pumped up even more. and after a while it slows down but we got bites threw out the day. i switch over to roe and i mean about 5min i start to get bites. i pick up my rod wait and set the hook another good fight is on get it to the boat land it and its my first sturgeon ever. it was undersized also 32" so back it goes to grow. it was a great day out with my dad and both of us landing our first sturgeon and my pb striper. couldnt get any better. ill post pics as soon as i can. and i do wanna thank all the sniffers that helped out with some great info in helping me land these sturgeon. thanks

deadeye
02-21-2015, 12:19 PM
keep at it you guys will get your keepers but shakers are just as fun!!!!!!!

Yearroundfisherman
02-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Awesome stuff Fish.on. I never tried and anchobe for sturgeon. Bullheads and gobies seem to get it before anything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fish_For_It
02-21-2015, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the great report and congratulations to you and your dad on your first sturgeons. Bait is bait. Mr. Sturgeon is not going to pass up a fine meal of anchovy if it is on the bottom and in front of him. I am sure you can't wait to get out there for another go at it.

fish.on
02-21-2015, 01:25 PM
heres some pics, my dad with his first sturgeon ever 36" on anchovy released my pb striper 13# on anchovy and my fisrst sturgeon ever 32" on roe released.

fish.on
02-21-2015, 01:33 PM
thank you. and i cant wait to get back out there again. and only time till i get on a keeper even tho i was pumped with the 32" i got it was good fun. and i was as surprized my dad getting his on anchovy, but as u say he also says you present ur bait to the fish they hungry they wont pass it up even a chovy lol.

Fish_For_It
02-21-2015, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the pictures. Nothing like spending a day with your dad and you both get your first sturgeons. Family and fishing is a hard combo to beat.

fish.on
02-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Fish for it , your welcome. And yea its always a great time spent with family and some fishing. Now I just can't wait to get out again. My boat is still down, think ima have to sneak off with his on my day off due to he's back to work and won't have a day off together till mid march.

FishFINattick
02-21-2015, 06:33 PM
I caught a sturgeon on anchovy in the Napa River back in May of 2009. Their bottom feeders.
Kind of like the Hoover vacuum's of the Delta. They probably will eat just about anything.

salmonid
02-21-2015, 06:42 PM
Congrats to you and your Pops, fish.on!

Nice looking sturgie even though undersized, at least you are doing it right-just a matter of time. Also, that is one really NICE striper (here they come!).

Best,

mrmike130s
02-21-2015, 08:46 PM
Was quite a while ago. Maybe 15/20 years. We were anchored on the Sac River just west of the opening into Sherman Lake. My mom, rest her soul. Hooked into to a 40inch sturgeon. It was a beautiful fish. Probably on sardines or anchovy. We were fishing for stripers. Was a god day. And yes, bait is bait. Stripers will take your sturgeon bait and viva versa.
sounds like a great day with your dad. I was out with my son today. We go out as much as possible. I miss being out with my dad. But age has made it not possible for him to get out with us.

newtothegame
02-21-2015, 10:34 PM
That's awesome great post! Those memories are priceless!

LONO100
02-21-2015, 10:55 PM
congrats! looks like a few people have been landing their first dinos in the last few weeks. im hoing to get on the board in 2015 tomorrow myself. congrats again.

49erbassman
02-22-2015, 08:38 AM
Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fish.on
02-22-2015, 10:24 AM
Congrats to you and your Pops, fish.on!

Nice looking sturgie even though undersized, at least you are doing it right-just a matter of time. Also, that is one really NICE striper (here they come!).

Best,

thank you, and yea that striper was hungry almost swam off with my rod lol.

fish.on
02-22-2015, 10:30 AM
congrats! looks like a few people have been landing their first dinos in the last few weeks. im hoing to get on the board in 2015 tomorrow myself. congrats again.

lono100 thanks, ive seen and read on here you have been after getting one a while now also as myself been going after them just over the past 2 years and finally even tho undersized im happy with it. keep at it u will land yours soon enough. good luck out there

fish.on
02-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Was quite a while ago. Maybe 15/20 years. We were anchored on the Sac River just west of the opening into Sherman Lake. My mom, rest her soul. Hooked into to a 40inch sturgeon. It was a beautiful fish. Probably on sardines or anchovy. We were fishing for stripers. Was a god day. And yes, bait is bait. Stripers will take your sturgeon bait and viva versa.
sounds like a great day with your dad. I was out with my son today. We go out as much as possible. I miss being out with my dad. But age has made it not possible for him to get out with us.

sorry for your loss, great memories made i bet she was excited about her catch, and sounds like many great days on the water and memories being made with your lil guy as well. and yea my dad getting up there in age as well my mom wont let em go out alone but i join em as much as possible.

fish.on
02-22-2015, 10:36 AM
newtothegame and 49erbassman, thank you

LONO100
02-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Your post had me inspired last night so I began to plan an impromptu sturgy hunt for today, but the howling 30 mph winds scared me and my buddy off, I've owned my boat for about a year, but don't consider myself an expert boater just yet (safety first), so ill have to patiently wait until next week for another shot at it. Good stuff everyone, keep swinging!