PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Hunting Questions

Waterdog
02-25-2015, 06:18 PM
I have been an avid hunter for over 40 years - waterfowl, pheasants and other upland game and big game (although I haven't hunted deer and other big game in 10 years). I have an iinvitation to turkey hunt on private property opening weekend. This property is loaded with turkey and it will just be me and a friend I invited hunting it. I have never hunted wild turkey and my friend has done so only once. Got a few questions for some of you experienced experts.
1) what size shot should I use? 5's?
2) we are going up a day early to scout. What should I be looking for (other than turkey) when scouting. What kind of habitat or areas should I be looking for? What kind of sign should I be looking for.i am an experienced outdoorsman so I can figure it out with a little information.
3) any suggestions on the different turkey calls. I plan to get a video on turkey calling but but don't know what kind or kinds of calls to get.
Any other information you can give me is appreciated.
Thanks
Ken

BigUnInDaBoat
02-25-2015, 09:29 PM
Do not call when scouting, before sunset is best. #5's are ok but make sure they are 3" magnums. Personally I'd spend the money on a hevi-shot turkey load. I shoot the Winchester longbeard XR (extended range, look it up on youtube) #4's 3" out of an Indian creek turkey choke tube, deadly out to 60+ yards. But they run about $3.50 per shot. But at that price you can get 10 of them, pattern your gun and still have enough rounds for at least one season. It's very impressive ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6emQ8tB5bxY

Scouting I'd do my best to find their roosting tree, feathers and droppings should be at the base. Opening day set up at least 50 yards from it, then call.

Pattern your gun before you hunt at 20, 30 and 40 yards at least. Know what your gun can do at those ranges. I aim for the center of the waddle on the neck.

All you should need is a box call, very user and newbie friendly. If you can get some mouth calls, and start practicing now, then by all means do that. I had orthodontic surgery as a kid and I can't use a mouth call well. Still I kill lots of turkeys with my box call. I also carry two slate calls with 6 different strikers.

DO not over call, that is the #1 mistake new turkey hunters make. It will chase the big toms away. It sometimes takes awhile for a tom to move into range, be patient.

Get some hen decoys. Avian-X makes some of the best, but they are a little bulky and expensive. This year they came out with a western turkey (Merriam/RG) pattern that is a spot on repo of our western hen turkeys.

Good luck with the longbeards I can barely contain myself.

BigUnInDaBoat
02-27-2015, 09:21 PM
Cmon there has to be more turkey hunters on here? Or was my advice just that good? ;)

redneckpunk
02-27-2015, 09:35 PM
Cmon there has to be more turkey hunters on here? Or was my advice just that good? ;)

I had to chase a couple of them out of the driveway yesturday.......Sorry its all Ive got for turkey

~RNP

BigUnInDaBoat
02-27-2015, 10:23 PM
I had to chase a couple of them out of the driveway yesturday.......Sorry its all Ive got for turkey

~RNP

haha, they know where they are safe! Wild turkey breast aged 5-7 days, brined, wrapped in thick cut pepper bacon, smoked over apple and cherry mix, amazing! 29 more days!

Waterdog
03-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the info, it is appreciated. If anyone else has some tips or advice fo me that would be great. I am going to the property in a week or two to scout it.

K-15
03-07-2015, 06:36 PM
I'm no expert,. b.u.d gave some solid advise,..few more things, if you go up before, find the roost, or strutting area's, you can put up a blind if you own one. They offer comfort and concealment,..if your on private property, you can leave it set up.If your "running and gunning" be sure you got some foam pads for the rear,..keeps the early morning dew from soaking the drawers and provides a little comfort for the longer sets on mature backsides. A lot of vest have them built on.
Put some deet on and check for ticks,.as they will be out too. Locator calls like a owl or crow call can get them to fire off, helping you locate them. When possible, set up with your back against a tree, to break-up outline, and in the shadows. Have your gun in your lap, or on your knee, (If not in a blind), as they have real good eyesight, and any movement can cost you. Like he said, don't over call, be patient.
Have fun, and good luck!.
mike

outdoordude
03-10-2015, 07:18 AM
Sorry waterdog haven't been down in this section in a while good advise given so far, my favorite call is a box call great for the novice the best I've found is th Wood Wise Mystic, has a black paddle that works when wet and never needs to be chalked, great sounding easy to use. Check some you tube vids...on calling...rythm is more important than quality and less is better...tiny puts and I meen tiny, one here one there or general come here calling in odd number cadences...3, 5 and sometimes 7...cluck, cluck, cluck....if you get a response give it a minute before answering back with same call...they don't make a lot of calls (hens) so little clucks or we call them putts is often all that it takes...also if you get a group comming in and they're mixed aged birds a lot of times the big boy will be in back. I use collapsible hen decoys, two feeding and one alert, in line, back one is alert. Good luck post results.

nvthis
03-10-2015, 08:51 AM
The Primos magnetic box calls look awesome. Imagine.... Not having to search for new, perfect sized rubber bands every season!

All I might add is try to keep the morning sun at your back. I try to practice this religiously where ever I can. Facing into the sun is a major disadvantage, so let the birds have it.

Whatever
03-11-2015, 03:02 PM
If you don't have a blind...make sure you have the appropriate camo...and most of all DON'T MOVE. If you don't find their roost, have and owl or crow call for a locator, but you probably won't need it this time of year. The toms are hot to go already at the place where I hunt. Hope they didn't get turned on to early because of the nice weather.

Lumpy
03-11-2015, 03:36 PM
A turkeys eye sight is its first line of defense, camo is a must, and even when fully camo'ed they will still pick up on movement, gotta be still. As far as shot size, 5 and 6's seem to be the most popular, but you gotta get out and see what you gun likes. While scouting look for feathers, tracks, strut marks and poop, start high to increase your hearing range. And if their are dirt roads on the property look for tracks and poop. Usually they will roost in digger pines, but not limited to them. In hilly country usually the roost about 2/3 the way up the mountain or hill and usually fly off the roost down hill, and a lotta of times they will be close to water. I would go with a box call, easy to learn and they have turkey sound built right in them. You can go on YouTube and watch all kinds of turkey hunting stuff. Oh, and aim for the turkeys head!
Hope this helps
God Bless

BigUnInDaBoat
03-11-2015, 04:38 PM
Middle of town....they sure know where they are safe26107

deadeye
03-21-2015, 07:28 PM
#1 thing is safety!!!!!!! be safe out there.... next is patients patients patients these birds are on their own schedule they are often in no hurry to get anywhere most of the time even the hottest gobblers are very wary often it will seem like its taking forever for the birds to get to you or call to you. once you get a few responses give it 10 or 15 min. most of the time if they arent calling they are moving in your direction and if you havent seen or heard him in 10 or 15 min. give some soft clucks and purs and you might get a thundering gobble a few yards away or the bird might need some more finess.... dont know how big the property is but if its large enough to hold multiple groups of birds try to roost some toms that have little or no hens with them that will make it a lot easier to get him or them to commit and shoot the strutter.... the toms that are hened up are almost impossible to pull away but if you have done your homework and located the area that they like to drop down to after leaving the roost you can put yourself in a good location near that area or if you know the general direction they like to head in you again can put yourself in a good location to have them meander by you while they are doing their daily thing. hunt all day afternoon can be very productive. good luck

Spinner
03-23-2015, 07:30 AM
PATIENCE!!!! When I sit to call I won't move for at least 2 hrs.!! Deadeye, toms WILL leave their hens around lunch, to investigate a new girl, even in early season, you just have to wait and hope the girls don't come first as they will try to drive off the intruder/competition making the whole set-up a big circus, very comical but tough to get a shot at the tom.
Also, TRACKS! When it comes to scouting a new area, I go in the heat of the day and find tracks, near water or food sources and then "it's on"!!! And be there one morning, before daylight, to listen for the roost tree gobbles, if you find that, the hunt is a piece of cake!!! WHATCH OUT FOR POACHERS!!!

Spinner
03-23-2015, 07:41 AM
Middle of town....they sure know where they are safe26107Middle of town, safe? Pellet guns are legal for turkeys making them NOT safe in town! I've wanted to get a big tom that frequents burger king's parking lot(wonder if it will taste like french fries),, but the manager didn't like us sitting at the table with our guns, and the cops that's another story, but it is legal, and after a little talking we found out that if we had had the manager's permission it would be frowned upon, but legit. Soooo, that tom is safe, he must weigh in over 25lbs. do to the fine cuisine. And the whole dayn was just to prove a point on a joke and a dare. Point here is that it is legal to hunt turkey "IN TOWN"

CRABBY
03-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Middle of town....they sure know where they are safe26107LOL,looks like my front yard or just about anywhere here on the property,along with deer!!Used to let people hunt but no more,pop one now an then with a pellet gun for the kitties,I like white breast meat only an they are all dark meat!!But bigun's recipe sounds kinda good!!!!!!!:action-smiley-077:

BigUnInDaBoat
03-28-2015, 09:30 PM
How did you do? I was done before 7am, hunting 125 acres of private property. It was too easy. Blew the right side of his tail fan off, but not a pellet anywhere but his head and upper neck. Indian creek choke ftw!

Slowtrollr
03-29-2015, 06:38 AM
How did you do? I was done before 7am, hunting 125 acres of private property. It was too easy. Blew the right side of his tail fan off, but not a pellet anywhere but his head and upper neck. Indian creek choke ftw!

Great work there. I was surrounded by them yesterday, i mean behind me, in front of me, both left and rights sides, i just couldn't close the deal. I purchased some new decoys and am wondering if that may have played a part, they are kinda creased still from being in the box, i let them sit out for about a week before opening day however still a little funky. I will be back after them soon. I know where they live and where they will be as I killed two in there last year and it is on private land so they are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Congrats on the success ....

BigUnInDaBoat
03-29-2015, 07:56 AM
Great work there. I was surrounded by them yesterday, i mean behind me, in front of me, both left and rights sides, i just couldn't close the deal. I purchased some new decoys and am wondering if that may have played a part, they are kinda creased still from being in the box, i let them sit out for about a week before opening day however still a little funky. I will be back after them soon. I know where they live and where they will be as I killed two in there last year and it is on private land so they are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Congrats on the success ....

Thanks! Hot water will help on taking the creases out!