PDA

View Full Version : Regulations Forum?

starrtel
10-28-2006, 09:36 PM
I posted my question in the fishing issues forum, but wasn't sure if that was the best place to receive some replies. What do you think about a regulations forum?

Here were my questions...

I've spent some time trying to look-up some guidelines on trebble hook regulations, but I'm still not clear on it. Can someone help me out? I mostly fish gibbs minnows in the 2-4oz range. I DO NOT keep foul hooked salmon, but I want to be clear on the use and non-use of trebble hooks. I fish the Sacramento River 98% of the time, but I'll venture up the American a few hundred yards now and then. Is the use of trebble hooks legal in the Sacramento/Amercian rivers? Are there dates where I need to change to single hooks in either river? I've been fishng the downtown area for 10 plus years and I don't think I've ever seen anyone using a single hook on their gibbs minnow. I know some jiggers are called snaggers... but I want to be clear that I have NEVER kept a salmon that was foul hooked. I hope to get some feedback. Thank you!! Also... what about the Feather River? (around the mouth of the Sac/Feather)

Chief_Sniffer
10-29-2006, 07:11 AM
As always, ALL disclaimers apply. Do not use this information as official. As I sift through the regs, a treble hook on a jig is fine to use in the waters you are asking about as long as...

The gap between the shank and the hookpoint is not more than 3/4's of an inch.

Know_Excuses
10-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Not to argue but I believe that using a treble hook in the sac above the I-80 bridge and in the american is NOT leagal.Always check the regs and when in doubt you can call dfg and talk to a live person.As for a regs forums you would most likely get alot of well informed opinions (like my own) but you cant beat checking for yourself ;D

Chief_Sniffer
11-01-2006, 09:40 PM
2.10. Hook and Weight Restrictions.
(a) Definition of Gap: For the purposes of this
section, “gap” means the distance measured
from the point of a hook to the shank.
(b) Maximum Gaps and Gear Rigging for
Rivers and Streams unless otherwise provided
(does not apply to lakes and reservoirs, the
Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta (see Section
1.71 for definition of the Delta), and the Colorado
River).
CHAPTER 2. STATEWIDE REGULATIONS
FOR FISHING AND FROGGING IN INLAND
. No person shall use any single hook with a
gap greater than inch or any multiple hook
with a gap greater than 3/4 inch.
2. It is unlawful to use any hook which is
directly or indirectly attached closer than 8
inches to any weight exceeding /2 ounce.
3. It is unlawful to use any multiple hook or
more than one single hook on non-buoyant
lures exceeding one ounce.
4. It is unlawful to use any weight directly
attached below a hook.
(c) Maximum Gaps for the Sacramento-San
Joaquin Delta (see Section 1.71 for definition
of the Delta).
. No person shall use any single hook with a
gap greater than inch or any multiple hook
with a gap greater than 3/4 inch.

1.71. Sacramento-San Joaquin River
Delta.
The Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta
includes all rivers, sloughs, canals, cuts,
forebays, and flooded islands within the
area south of Interstate 80 to its junction
with Highway 50, and south of Highway 50
via the Pioneer Bridge to its junction with
Highway 99, west of Highway 99, north of
Interstate 580, 205, and Highway 120, and
east of Interstate 680.

So the way I read this, lure can't be over 1 oz. and have a multiple hook on it.

If you think about it, you wouldn't be able to use kwikfish or spinners etc. with trebles above I-80 with your restriction.

Know_Excuses
11-01-2006, 10:11 PM
I believe most kwick fish are buoyant so they are ok, and most spinners are under one ounce, so they should be ok ;D