PDA

View Full Version : Where to Flush Motor at Pyramid Lake?

BassJack
03-05-2015, 08:57 AM
From what I've read it is a good idea to flush out your motor with white vinegar immediately after boating at Pyramid Lake. The issue is that calcium carbonate dries out on the surface of the cooling system if not immediately flushed out. It is not corrosive like salt, but it will prevent the cooling system from functioning.

Here is a summary of what I've found:

Flush white vinegar through the motor immediately after each trip to Eagle Lake or Pyramid Lake.
Some motors require you to warm up the motor first to open the thermostat.
Flush with fresh tap water afterwards to remove the vinegar so it doesn't etch into the metal.
To add the vinegar, fill the lower end of your empty hose with white vinegar before adding the muffs. Or - use a garden spray attachment full of white vinegar.

My question is, where is there a water source to flush the motor at Pyramid Lake? I don't recall seeing a faucet at the Pelican Point ramp, they had potable toilets with no running water. Does Crosby's have some kind of facility? Is there a camp site or a RV toilet dump site that has a faucet or hose?

Thanks,
Jack

Line Stretcher
03-05-2015, 01:52 PM
You're fine to do that after you get home. Vinegar or CLR will do the job just fine.

This is one of those cases where paranoia strikes deep. One person has a problem after several trips without flushing and the next thing you know it's a sin to not flush it immediately after use.

Your coolant/engine temp is around 115 degees. That's not enough to bake it on but it will build up over time if you don't flush it out regularly.