PDA

View Full Version : Halibut rigging

FishnBeer
03-06-2015, 08:58 AM
I have fished for butts only one time, unsuccessfully. Heading out on my buddys boat soon and want to get everything together so im ready to roll. Want to drift and try trolling.
I bought some pre tied rigs, just a 3 way swivel, leader has a slip octopus hook and stinger treble hook. Any other ways? I have heard of using spreader bars, dodgers and hoochies. How do you rig that up?

salmonid
03-06-2015, 09:06 AM
Good topic.

I'll be watching to learn as well.

brokea--boater
03-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Here's what we been doing when bouncing a 1lb ball. The rig should be adjusted to your boat size some what. Smaller boats may want to have a little bit shorter rig so they can bring the fish in closer to the boat. You want your weight to just skip off the bottom, not to much line let out so your dredging. Fish shallow with these rigs,9-15' is what we have targeted. Check your bait often, lots of grass in places. Other may have some good info, but this will get you fish, just have to put in the time. You can change things up, like no dodger, just straight bait. But add a swivel midway in your 4' leader to prevent line twist from your bait( frozen herring,sardine) spinning. Hoochi with or without bait, mix things up. Good luck and post your trip,,,gregg
http://www2.worldpub.net/images/saltwater/articles/fishing/2003/05/bouncing_but_rig.jpg

okie
03-06-2015, 06:11 PM
I have fished for butts only one time, unsuccessfully. Heading out on my buddys boat soon and want to get everything together so im ready to roll. Want to drift and try trolling.
I bought some pre tied rigs, just a 3 way swivel, leader has a slip octopus hook and stinger treble hook. Any other ways? I have heard of using spreader bars, dodgers and hoochies. How do you rig that up?

i used to fish for butts the rig you mention is right, you want a ball weight about 10 to 12 inches from your 3way swivel, have your main hook sliding on the line above the treble stinger hook. the amount of weight you use depends on whether you are trolling or drifting. when i took my boat out i always trolled, the party boats usually drift. some people that fished with me used flashers, i never did.
you dont want the weight to drag along the bottom, you want it to kind of bounce. they are attack fish. DO NOT
bring them out of the water before you have them in the net. they dont get angry until they break the surface.
this is what i have learned from the trips both in my boat and on the party boats out of emeryville. you may want
to try one of the party boats first, they are very good about advice on how to fish for them.
good luck. i used to have a bunch of halibut rigs made up, if you'll pm me i'll check, and i still have them, i'll send
them to you.
be safe

salmonid
03-06-2015, 07:37 PM
Here's what we been doing ...

i used to fish for butts the rig you mention is right ...

Good info, gregg and okie! Thanks for sharing it. I have never fished for California butts but I did get into their larger relatives- the Pacific halibut up in Oregon. Seems like a great fishery close by in the bay.

Best,

robn510
03-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Great topic.

okie pretty much nailed it.

Bounce balling hootchies is a common way to use that rig. It also works for stripers too when theyre in the deeper rocks. Braid w/ 3 way setup and a long flouro leader. You can adjust the dropper, fairly short when you know your on sand or working the deeper mud flats, if you are picking up grass on the baits or working rocky ledges a longer dropper will keep the bait up.

With bounce balls I think the effective method really relies on the boats drift speed, keeping contact, a light drag (a reel with a clicker helps) and making sure you adjust your weight for the speed of the drift. Sometimes you can get away with only 4 ounces compared to when the tide is running or the wind is pushing you. Like the skippers say, hop hop hop if aint hoppin' change it up. Lift and lower your rod a bunch just to keep contact. Pay attention to what your weight is doing and the finder at the same time it really helps, you can adjust for the drops-n-holes and put yourself on the ledges. A trolling motor or drogue can slow your drift and you can set up your boat position and line angle better if drifting too quickly.
Even frozen anchovies work bouncing if youre in the right place. I think the thump thump makes them look around some. And they will chase your bait down if its not going too fast, so try to keep a slow drift.
Bouncing works really well on the shoals, ledges and deeper flats of the bay.

If youre setup for trolling a dodger/flasher it is effective and you can cover a lot of water this way. A plug cut sardine worked for us using dodgers at the buoy before. Ive never had any luck with just a hoochie.

If you find them, mark it and stay around, toss the same thing, they congregate.

hope you nail them, good luck

brokea--boater
03-07-2015, 06:30 AM
We normally troll 2-2.3, and the 1lb ball keeps you at the right line angle to bounce. A 6" dodger with a just a hootchi accounted for two out of our five fish caught Wed. so if your running a few extra rods mix it up and find out whats working on that day. Halibut are ambushers, so look for bait balls and work the area in a grid pattern till you find them, if no one is home, move on. Water conditions for halis is generally the smaller tidal days. Your looking for clean water, small tide changes is less turbulent so the water is cleaner. Fish both sides of the tide at the change if you can,,,gregg

FishnBeer
03-07-2015, 07:01 AM
i have a couple small dodgers kicking around and want to put one out there... how long of a leader do i need? how long from the 3 way swivel to dodger, and how long from dodger to hoochie/herring?

can you run multiple hooks? like one or two hoochies and then a herring at the end?

we will have 4 guys out there, so we can mix up presentations a bit, but i think i want to run a dodger and herring

brokea--boater
03-07-2015, 08:05 AM
The link I posted show's you how pretty much most will set up. The bay has a lot of suspended crap/grass floating around, a spreader bar is going to give you some grief. More time spent clearing lines, less time spent fishing,,,gregg

FishnBeer
03-07-2015, 12:07 PM
Got it. So looks like monday morning we are heading out, oyster point area.
How do the tides affect halibut?
Gonna be low tide around 7am. Should we target deeper water on low tide/shallower on high tide? Or work a shelf/drop-offs?

When we troll should we go with the current or against it? Maybe zigzag pattern?

MoMoney
03-07-2015, 01:27 PM
At Oyster Point most boats troll north and south.If you trolled east and west it would be tough as you would have depths ranging from 8ft to 30 feet.So look for bait if possible and work a specific depth say 10-12 ft.Its hard to troll a constantly changing depth line .If that don't work try a little deeper (ie:17-20ft).You fish both ways with and against the current just change the boat speed.We are gonna give a shot tommarrow also

FishnBeer
03-09-2015, 07:26 PM
Success! My buddy bagged a 35" butt trolling a dodger and herring! Marked that spot on the gps and made a few passes. At the same spot, using similar rig, other buddy had a solid strike and the fish was on, and then he immediately lost the fish and the whole rig due to a failed snap swivel.. ouch! When these things hit, they hit hard! Trolled for around 5 hrs. Marked a lot of bait balls. Really nice day out there.

35", 14lbs

Thanks for the help guys!

salmonid
03-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Success! My buddy bagged a 35" butt trolling a dodger and herring! Marked that spot on the gps and made a few passes. At the same spot, using similar rig, other buddy had a solid strike and the fish was on, and then he immediately lost the fish and the whole rig due to a failed snap swivel.. ouch! When these things hit, they hit hard! Trolled for around 5 hrs. Marked a lot of bait balls. Really nice day out there.

35", 14lbs

Thanks for the help guys!

Glad you guys had some luck, FishnBeer!

What's up with the color of that fish? Maybe a filter on the pic or something.

Congrats on getting out there this season,

brokea--boater
03-09-2015, 08:28 PM
Winner winner, thanks for sharing,,,gregg

Lukebz
03-18-2015, 12:09 PM
Boom, nice fish!