PDA

View Full Version : deer for the family

scales
12-12-2009, 08:16 PM
well its been a very good last three years!!! two years ago i got drawn for x7b. bagged a nice first year legal buck [ cant eat the horns ] last year my wife gets drawn for the same zone and shot her first deer. again cant eat the horns but he was legal. my son had an either sex tag, which cost him all 4 points he had, and took a doe the second weekend early saturday morning than came home and went to home coming dance.
to top it off, this year when we got the early dusting of snow, i told my wife, "the deer will be moving" sure enough, we take a ride up behind union valley and i bag a first year legal buck. Life is good!! 4 deer in three years in California.
I sure do wish i was making good money again. My son is at the age when i can get him to do the grunt work but I just cant afford to go. so, if any of you need a 16 y.o 6' 220 young man to pack decoys out or help packing a big pig up, let me know. we can work something out.

Cal_Kellogg
12-13-2009, 02:46 AM
"I sure do wish i was making good money again. My son is at the age when i can get him to do the grunt work but I just cant afford to go. so, if any of you need a 16 y.o 6' 220 young man to pack decoys out or help packing a big pig up, let me know. we can work something out."

Dang I used to be that 16 yo....Actually I still am. My dad just turned 72 and I'm still the grunt, but I love every minute of it...I just move a little slower and the muscles get a little tighter... ;)

Dad is having back surgery on Wed. so he was sidelined this season, but I hunted quite a bit by myself. I spent the deer season hunting the dividing line between D-4 and D-5.

When we got that first early snow I was hunting up near French Meadows and saw a pair of fork n horns cross the road at noon while I was moving from one spot to another....I parked the truck, grabbed my rifle and snuck into the brush after them, since they didn't look spooked at all...

I caught up with them about 200 yards from the road...They were both about 40 yards away...One fork was a lot bigger than the other. They were both looking at me and I was afraid they were about to jump so I throw up the rifle and shot at the bigger buck...He kicked out his back feet like a bucking horse and bolted into some real thick brush....

I was sure I'd nailed him, so I didn't even look..I'd left the truck so fast that I didn't bother grabbing my pack that contained my tag, knife etc, so I headed back to get the pack...

When I got back to the spot where I'd fired, I saw the smaller fork looking at me from about 80 yards away..."Get outta here", I yelled at him and walked up the hill to tag "my" buck...No buck, No Blood, No nothing...! After two hours of searching and finding zero sign I decided that I'd shot over the buck's back...The shot seemed too easy and as a result I missed the easiest shot I've ever had....

To compound things...I'd been too cheap to buy two D 3-5 tags at once...If I'd had a second tag, I would have shot the second fork standing broadside looking at me at 80 yards...At least then I would have had one buck when I found I'd missed the larger one...Instead, a hasty shot and cheapness cost me big time...Sometimes you just can't win!!!

I came on strong at the end of the season and ended up filling my tag, but that's another story....I'll share that later....

Anybody else have a 2009 deer story to share? Let it rip!

xxxxxx
12-13-2009, 04:16 AM
I used to hunt that area alot 20yrs ago....French Meadows,Red Star Ridge & Robinsons Flat....High elavation big deer for sure!!! Then there was the fishing trips over to FM Lake during the afternoon for nice RBT & Browns from shore....Man those were the days...My dad would always get a nice 3x4 or 4x4 each year. I am gonna go back and hunt that area next year for sure!!!!

RF

smithstation
01-14-2010, 06:49 AM
I had the best season this year. I took two first time archery hunters up and they both got their first archery buck. They were both forks but they were legal. One of the archery hunters was a 14 year old girl!!* SHe and her dad have had a rough year so I took them back during rifle season. She not only shot a 4x4 with her rifle tag but we filled her dads tag with a 21 inch heave 2x3. Then we found another fork (during rifle) for another friend. He smoked it and it taped at 26 inches wide, not very tall but wide. I filled my two tags with 4x5's. One was wide (26in.) and the other was tall. If someone can post pics for me PM me and I will e-mail them to you and have you post a few. I have some great pics of some nice bucks early in the archery season. One is a spike/fork that is about 24 inches tall!!* I could have shot him several times but I really want to see what he does this year, horn wise.*

bean
01-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Got my first buck this year. i was lucky enough to go to wyoming, long story short saw a little forky my bro wanted me to nail it but being out of state i was greedy for somethin bigger and out of nowhere comes this 3x3 and the rest is on the table. best huntin trip for me so far but its still fun to head up to d4.