PDA

View Full Version : poacher caught and sturgeon revived

redneckpunk
03-12-2015, 02:35 PM
https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2015/03/12/wildlife-officers-rescue-nearly-lifeless-sturgeon-cite-poaching-suspect/

~RNP

Yearroundfisherman
03-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Thats awesome they revived it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swimbaitjunkie
03-12-2015, 04:14 PM
It's a good thing that the dino survive....they should ban that person from having a fishing period....thanx for sharing......

FlyWright
03-12-2015, 06:15 PM
I'd like to see the DFW confiscate everything he owns related to the poaching. What a scumbag!

DFW has a new CALTip cellphone app that helps in reporting to Caltip. I just loaded it on my Droid, but haven't used it yet. It allows you to attach pics of the poaching activity or suspects to aid in their ID. I trust there's an iPhone version, too.

redneckpunk
03-12-2015, 06:43 PM
The iPhone app is available in the App Store under CalTip. Very simple to use.

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsa2780
03-12-2015, 09:09 PM
Residents of my town keepin' it classy! Idiots.

salmonid
03-12-2015, 09:19 PM
Glad he was busted and the fish released. I also wonder how many other oversize he may have poached?

From the link...

An additional wildlife officer was called in and conducted a traffic stop. The fish was found to be a white sturgeon, oversized (at 66 inches) and untagged. Suspect Eric Solden, 34, of Hood, was cited accordingly.

CDFW officers quickly measured and photographed the fish for evidence purposes and then transported it back to the riverís edge in an attempt to resuscitate it and release it back to the wild. A group of nearby sturgeon fishermen shot video of the rescue effort while a wildlife officer patiently worked with the nearly dead fish in shallow water, rocking it back and forth to force water over its gills. After about 20 minutes, the fish gained the strength to swim away. The video has been posted on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0QjxpfdVEM&sns=em.

https://cdfgnews.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/sturgeon-in-truck1.jpg

dsa2780
03-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Knowing the amount that the locals in Hood fish off the bank from January-April, and that they've been doing this at least twice as long as I've been alive according to my parents, probably an excess of 20 years.

salmonid
03-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Knowing the amount that the locals in Hood fish off the bank from January-April, and that they've been doing this at least twice as long as I've been alive according to my parents, probably an excess of 20 years.

Interesting that the fellow went across the river to poach the fish in my Yolo Co. We have enough problems...

Makes sense in way that he didn't want to commit crimes in his own 'hood'. I guess there is a saying about don't s*** in your own yard, or something similar?

I know you are upholding a higher standard and I enjoy reading about your successes, dsa!

Best,

dsa2780
03-12-2015, 10:16 PM
Across the river there's Merits landing, a Yolo county public boat "ramp" and bank access near a good hole and mudflat. Dudes aren't that clever, they just go where they have the biggest likelihood of catching one.

salmonid
03-12-2015, 10:48 PM
Fixed it for 'ya!

Dudes aren't that clever, they just go where they have the biggest likelihood of poaching one.

dsa2780
03-12-2015, 10:59 PM
Fixed it for 'ya!

Lol. Off topic, the guard rails along highway 160 from Freeport down to Hood have old inscriptions and mini fishing reports and pictures carved in by bored fishermen from the 70's-early 2000's. There's one spot that has a ton of them, all the guys would carve in a date and length and bait. I'll try to take a pic one day. Would be cool to save those and put them in like an angling museum because eventually the guard rail will be replaced by the road crews in years to come. I noticed them one day while salmon fishing back in 2012 when the sun was coming up over the Yolo side of the river and shining really bright on my side. Doubt many people ever have bothered to see those.

Troutbead
03-13-2015, 06:51 AM
Good anglers are anglers that follow the rules and if they see something going down they pick up that phone and let us know about it

That warden was exactly right. Glad the good guys won one.