PDA

View Full Version : Almanor worth a trip.

Zebco Kid
03-20-2015, 05:56 AM
Quiet time of year. Good fishing. Not off the hook, but definitely worth the trip.

22" Brown from last week.

Line Stretcher
03-20-2015, 06:58 AM
Way to go. Glad to hear your trip went well!

pointemdown
03-20-2015, 06:36 PM
Have to agree about Almanor. Fished the last two mornings landing fourteen fish, 12 browns and 2 bows. Biggest browns were 24" and 26". Bite was on in the morning until about 0900, then nada. I was pulling FT speedy shiner (1/16 oz) and chart/silver yo-zuris 2.5 mph with 5 colors of lead. Fished 15 -30 ft. water; lures were running about 9 ft. deep. Downriggers were useless for me. Nows the time to be there, but dress for cold in the AM.

TroutLife
03-20-2015, 07:31 PM
I heard that Almanor is full of snags. Is that true?

pointemdown
03-20-2015, 08:05 PM
I heard that Almanor is full of snags. Is that true?
Actually, there is a landmark on the east side named "The Snag". Almanor is no different from other Sierra lakes...there are snags and experience is the only method to avoid them. For the record I would say that Almanor is a pretty easy lake to fish, but it is big, and learning it takes time. Don't expect to go there for the first time and have a banner day. Watch the other fishermen or ask questions on this forum. I have fished it about fifty times over the past seven years, and I will say that it is my favorite lake to fish; there is always an opportunity to catch a BIG trout.

TroutLife
03-20-2015, 08:09 PM
Actually, there is a landmark on the east side named "The Snag". Almanor is no different from other Sierra lakes...there are snags and experience is the only method to avoid them. For the record I would say that Almanor is a pretty easy lake to fish, but it is big, and learning it takes time. Don't expect to go there for the first time and have a banner day. Watch the other fishermen or ask questions on this forum. I have fished it about fifty times over the past seven years, and I will say that it is my favorite lake to fish; there is always an opportunity to catch a BIG trout.
I think I can catch a big brown my first time there! I'm confident in my abilities. Just wondering if the lake is easy to downrigg the bottom of? Was there sections that didn't get logged fully, like the pit arm of Shasta? I actually can't wait to fish it. Maybe during the next storm it experiences. Thanks for the info!

red boat
03-21-2015, 06:34 AM
What is an ft speedy shiner.

pointemdown
03-21-2015, 07:47 PM
Fire Tiger speedy shiner. Not sure about 1/16 oz.

http://www.thomaslures.com/speedyshiner.htm

I meant 1/6 ounce, sorry.

RichnWendy
03-23-2015, 06:19 PM
Quiet time of year. Good fishing. Not off the hook, but definitely worth the trip.

22" Brown from last week.

NICE! Love that lake, we camp there at least 3 times a year. good job on the brown!

TroutLife
03-26-2015, 07:59 PM
North side of the west basin is the shallow area. Most of the east basin is fairly deep. The snag is a bit less than a mile up the eastern shoreline when launching from canyon dam. Those are the only two areas I would avoid using a DR on the lake. Sometimes you just get better luck on the lead core for reasons I don't understand. I usually bring a LC rig and the DR set up and sometimes wind up using both over the course of a day fishing.
Thanks

pointemdown
03-26-2015, 08:23 PM
Thanks
I agree with TroutLife! Lead core is the ticket when fish are feeding less than 18ft. Anything deeper put out the dr.'s. I'll share this--If I were fishing tomorrow morning at sunrise, I would fish between the "Snag" and "Lake Cove" pulling anything the size of a 2"-3" pond smelt, speedy shiner, slim fish, rapala, Yz, with chartreuse to make it visible (east shore is this area doesn't have sun on it for a few hours). Running lures 8-12 feet using lead core or dr, or fishing with mono and some weight. Fish in 20-30 ft. of water. Once the bite turns off, head to the west side and fish between Fox Farm and Prattville hugging the shallows again with pond smelt imitators, but shallower in 8 to 15 feet of water. By 1000 hit the west shore of the east basin deeper 25-30 ft with raps and speedy shiners. I was marking a ton of fish off Winter Springs at 30' depth in 40' of water. Watch out for treetops! Best lure for me was chart yz (2.5") and ft speedy shiner with chart back 1/6 oz. MY FAVORITE TROUT LAKE!!!!!!

TroutLife
03-26-2015, 08:27 PM
I agree with TroutLife! Lead core is the ticket when fish are feeding less than 18ft. Anything deeper put out the dr.'s. I'll share this--If I were fishing tomorrow morning at sunrise, I would fish between the "Snag" and "Lake Cove" pulling anything the size of a 2"-3" pond smelt, speedy shiner, slim fish, rapala, Yz, with chartreuse to make it visible (east shore is this area doesn't have sun on it for a few hours). Running lures 8-12 feet using lead core or dr, or fishing with mono and some weight. Fish in 20-30 ft. of water. Once the bite turns off, head to the west side and fish between Fox Farm and Prattville hugging the shallows again with pond smelt imitators, but shallower in 8 to 15 feet of water. By 1000 hit the west shore of the east basin deeper 25-30 ft with raps and speedy shiners. I was marking a ton of fish off Winter Springs at 30' depth in 40' of water. Watch out for treetops! Best lure for me was chart yz (2.5") and ft speedy shiner with chart back 1/6 oz. MY FAVORITE TROUT LAKE!!!!!!
I've never fished Almanor yet. It was RestlessOne that gave info.

pointemdown
03-26-2015, 08:35 PM
I've never fished Almanor yet. It was RestlessOne that gave info.
Well get up there brother!!! Sorry, whoever wants to know where big fish are on right now....I'd be there if it weren't for the stripers.

TroutLife
03-26-2015, 08:37 PM
I lost a double digit brown at the net last Saturday! There are BIG ones everywhere! Just a matter of triggering the strike... Lol thanks for all and any info

pointemdown
03-26-2015, 08:46 PM
Look at Almanor Fishing Association website for advice and current info! Get there; find them; catch them!!!