PDA

View Full Version : Visiting southern cal looking for fly fishing recommendations!

Tdawsonjr
03-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Hello all,
Heading to Anaheim area at the end of April and I am looking for some fly fishing recommendations for trout. Coming from Massachusetts. Any info would be welcome.

Thanks
Terry

salmonid
03-26-2015, 06:56 PM
Will you have transportation?

If you can get up into the Southern Sierra's to the East of where you are staying, there are plenty of trout streams.

Around the greater L.A. area I don't know? Perhaps saltwater fisheries may be a better bet.

At least you will have better weather than back in MA!

Tdawsonjr
03-27-2015, 05:41 AM
Will you have transportation?

If you can get up into the Southern Sierra's to the East of where you are staying, there are plenty of trout streams.

Around the greater L.A. area I don't know? Perhaps saltwater fisheries may be a better bet.

At least you will have better weather than back in MA!

I will have transportation. Willing to drive 2-3 hours. Any recommendations?

brokea--boater
03-27-2015, 06:39 AM
2-3 hours drive from Anaheim will put you in the desert or just outside of the city limits depending what time of day it is. Yes the traffic is that bad. The Sierras are a good ways from Anaheim. If you had the extra time to make the drive, the eastern side of the Sierras is worth it. Owens river, The drainage's above Bishop would be my pick. You might get on the BD Outdoors forum and throw the question to those guys, there could be a area closer for fly fishing. Its mostly socal guys on it, good luck and enjoy your trip,,,gregg

gbslade
03-27-2015, 07:03 AM
Try West Fork San Gabriel River east of Azusa. Not sure of current conditions. There is a fly shop in Van Nuys; give them a call.

Tdawsonjr
03-27-2015, 02:34 PM
thanks for the recommendations! I will still do some research, this gets me pointed in the right direction. At the end of April I arrive on a Friday eve late and have until Monday late afternoon before work starts. With multiple days available does anyone have a must visit location?

Terry

salmonid
03-27-2015, 03:25 PM
thanks for the recommendations! I will still do some research, this gets me pointed in the right direction. At the end of April I arrive on a Friday eve late and have until Monday late afternoon before work starts. With multiple days available does anyone have a must visit location?

Terry

Terry, can you make it up to Pyramid lake in Nevada during your trip? Kinda far, but it is the holy grail for Large Lahontan cutthroats...

Monsters in there (pic courtesy of our own CC)...

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/011315-04.jpg

http://ns1.fishsniffer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94766&p=1062672&viewfull=1#post1062672

MKE
03-27-2015, 04:12 PM
The East Walker is fishing good if you can sneak up on them. Check the flows they really change a lot this time of year.Small flies and big browns!

Tdawsonjr
03-28-2015, 12:58 PM
So after all of my research and discussion the last few days, it seems I am setting my sights on the Kern river. Do any of you know whether this is a good idea or a bad one? Thanks in advance.

Captain Compassion
03-28-2015, 03:53 PM
Santa Ana River off of Seven Oaks Road in the San Bernardino Mountains East of LA. Miller Canyon where it enters Silverwood Lake. off of I-15. Sespe Creek off of HWY 33 north of Ventura. The pickings are slim.The Kern River above Isabella can be good. Go up to Roads End and hike up stream.

CC

gbslade
03-29-2015, 08:07 AM
Was at East Walker 3/21. Flows consistent for a month or more at 22 cfs. Leave those fish alone, they are stressed enough.