PDA

View Full Version : Fish With Gary Tackle: Pacific NW Sportsmen's Show

fishwithgary
02-02-2009, 08:39 PM
I just arrived in Portland for the Pacific NW Sportsmen's Show which starts Wednesday February 4 and goes through Sunday February 8. Penny and I will be in booth 213.
It will be a ton of kokanee fun. They have some great kokanee waters in Oregon and Washington, and I'm looking forward to meeting in person all of the on-line friends we have made over the years. I know we will also be making some great new friends too.
It was an awesome drive up here today - so clear and mild it is hard to believe we are in the grips of winter. 8-)
Kokanee Power Oregon has a booth one isle over from me, so we should get some good interaction going. A tip of the derby to Greg at KP Oregon for all of the hard work and dedication.
I'll keep you all posted.

Gary

metalmouth
02-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Have a great show Gary!

fishwithgary
02-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Things are going VERY well at the show, way beyond what I had expected. There are a lot of kokanee fishermen up here, and are just as excited about new tackle and methods as are the folks down in CA.

We have met some outstanding good folks and have many new friends, and it has been really neat to meet face to face the many customers in this area who had purchased on-line.

Portland is a very beautiful city with impressive architecture. The people are exceptionally friendly and helpful. All of the vendors have been great to meet and chat. This show has a ton of quality stuff and services. Given the weather, it is also nice that all of the Expo buildings are connected indoors, so no going outside between buildings. They even have an indoor trout pond for the youngsters, who get to walk around with their catch before taking it home to filet and enjoy.

Huge crowds are expected to be packed in later today and tomorrow. JZell will be helping Penny and me tomorrow (Saturday).

So far, awesome time.

Gary

fishwithgary
02-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Today is the final day (day 5) of the show. Chatted with Vance Staplin before the doors opened yesterday. He is working some of the other booths. Also talked with Gary Mirales who is doing the same.

I continue to be impressed with the number of kokanee fishermen and women and teenagers who are in the "kokanee-hood." And more and more have discovered the joy of ultralight fishing. We have an excellent location- across the isle is Scotty Downriggers, next to us is Apex Hot Spot, and on the other side is an outfitter from Northern BC with 2 nice mooseheads over their display area.

And you would be surprised to see the number of folks who read the fishsniffer boards, and particularly the kokanee forum. I have been encouraging them to join and contribute.

Penny and I are thrilled that we are finally getting some "weather" back home. It will make for a long drive back home on Monday.

Have a great Sunday.

Gary

fishwithgary
02-11-2009, 09:15 PM
We made it home safely after a 10 hour drive. As soon as we left Portland, the weather cleared, and it was just beautiful all the way home, where we were greeted with about a foot of snow.

The show for us was a rousing success, meeting so many excellent folk. Very much looking forward to doing it again next year.

We will be headed off to do the Central Oregon Sportsmen's Show in Redmond OR March 5-8.

BTW, the brass-gold dodger is being upgraded to the all gold offset recurve blade. Extreme visibility and proper vibration. They will be available within a few days.

Once again, a very hearty thank you to the people of the Portland for making our stay there so enjoyable.

Gary