PDA

View Full Version : 2015 General Trout Season Opener

Captain Compassion
04-07-2015, 04:56 PM
2 1/2 weeks to the general trout opener. Streams will be open in the Central Sierra and all waters open in the Eastern Sierra (Mono County). So who's going and where are you going to open?

CC

fat fish
04-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Hopefully next to you buddy.

Jetspray
04-08-2015, 04:26 AM
2 1/2 weeks to the general trout opener. Streams will be open in the Central Sierra and all waters open in the Eastern Sierra (Mono County). So who's going and where are you going to open?

CC
I just hope there is no icy roads this year, snow is OK, but no ice..........Jetspray

Captain Compassion
04-08-2015, 05:39 AM
For years I would drive 300 - 400 miles one way from LA to Crowley, Convict or he June Lake Loop. Now Opening Day is less than 30 miles away. I'll be some where on the Carson TBD. I will do a scout before the opener.

CC

frasinc
04-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Upper Sac in Dunsmuir. Also hit McCloud Lake day before opener.

Sac/Striper/Slayer
04-09-2015, 05:31 AM
Carson!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunkfisher49
04-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Richard

Corey and I will be at a Track meet in Roseville on Saturday we will be awaiting your reports to see if the drive up is worth it Sunday...have to convince my wife that I can go and be home I have a guppy on the way and he is due that week.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

:swimmingfish:

TahoeLund
04-09-2015, 08:33 PM
Just had our Fish and Game commission meeting for Alpine County last Friday. We will be able to plant the Carson river well before the opener. The fish should be spread out and eager to fight some fisherman opening day. The river levels are at a very fishable state right now and will probably stay that way. The state stocking program this year will probably be sub par. The size of the fish will be pretty disappointing from them. The Alpine COunty Fish and Game commission will continue with our trophy fish planting program though out the summer. We have all the ducks in a row for the summer as long as the water temps hold. Come enjoy and have lots of fun on the opener in Alpine County.

Who knee
04-09-2015, 08:58 PM
Upper twin on Saturday, lower twin on Sunday.

danweasel
04-10-2015, 08:52 AM
Just to be weird, I'm going to the upper middle Yuba. Should be all alone, of course probably for a reason...

Treebeard
04-11-2015, 02:29 PM
I plan on going if possible, but can't (or won't) say where - it's a place that I've never seen mentioned here, and I think it's better if it stays that way... I will say though that it's a stream and its waters (some anyway) make it out to the Pacific Ocean ;-)
:evil:
TB

NRJohn
04-14-2015, 01:44 PM
May go to Crowley. Has been a long time tradition to go with friends and get a condo but this year everyone backed out. Leaves me with towing the boat up and footing at least a couple hundred bucks for gas. Daughter wants to go though only if I drag the new boat. She wants it cold and for her to be comfy in the cabin. Tough one when the ocean is only 15 miles away and 30+lb yellowtail are being caught. Hell the trout are about the right size for bait!

Captain Compassion
04-14-2015, 03:01 PM
Richard

Corey and I will be at a Track meet in Roseville on Saturday we will be awaiting your reports to see if the drive up is worth it Sunday...have to convince my wife that I can go and be home I have a guppy on the way and he is due that week.

Would be good to see you guys. Congratulations Brad.http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/like.jpg

CC

Treebeard
04-16-2015, 03:01 AM
Just to be weird, I'm going to the upper middle Yuba. Should be all alone, of course probably for a reason...
Just to be a little bit more cooperative than my last post, I'll describe a couple other places where I'd like to be but probably won't get to:

(1) The upper part of the South Fork of the American River, between Riverton and Strawberry Lodge - there are a number of really nice-looking holes visible from the road (Hwy 50, a.k.a. the Lincoln Highway). But access can be difficult because of steep banks, semi-private property (Forest Service cabin leases), and limited parking opportunities. I have fished there a few times with reasonable success; but it isn't a safe place for Rosie to be off-leash (too close to the highway for a possible deer chase) so have been there only a few times in the last 9 years. (as I write this it is amazing to realize that my incredibly bright and powerful little buddy is now a Good Old Dog with signs of arthritus and at the end of her breed's average lifespan with, at best, only a few years left!)

...then into the "Wayback Machine", to one of my favorite places:

(2) The headwaters of the South Fork of the Stanislaus River, up a couple miles behind Pinecrest Lake. It's been many more years than I care to admit since I've been there, but fishing was fair to good for adequate dinners, and scenery was spectacular. Sort of difficult to walk the canyon in some spots though. I remember a trip there when one of our backpacking party 'froze' midway across a steep granite face that we had to cross horizontally. I had to go out and station myself just below him, take his pack, then act like a movable anchor/post for him to cling to, to go one step at a time across. The slope was just a little bit too much for my shoes to provide enough traction for the both of us, so I removed my shoes and socks and became one with the granite crystals ;-) A great place for the fit and agile though!

TB

danweasel
04-16-2015, 06:45 AM
That's a good story. Thanks!

TexWalker
04-16-2015, 08:01 AM
The good fishing doesn't open until July 1.

TahoeLund
04-16-2015, 08:32 PM
The waters of Alpine County have received their first plant of fish this week. We will do another plant before the opener. With the river levels right now they are prime for stocking. With the early plants the fish should be scattered out through the river. Look forward to seeing people enjoying our area on opening day. We will be having the annual Pancake Breakfast at the Woodfords Fire house on Diamond Valley Road. THis is a Fund raiser for the local all volunteer fire department. Stop in and say hi and enjoy some great breakfast. We will be there early and go until the food runs out, usually around 10:00. Look forward to seeing some happy fisherman enjoying a great breakfast.

Captain Compassion
04-16-2015, 09:31 PM
Love the pancakes. I have some friends camping at Crystal Springs. I'll see if I can drag them over.

CC

Jetspray
04-17-2015, 09:25 AM
The waters of Alpine County have received their first plant of fish this week. We will do another plant before the opener. With the river levels right now they are prime for stocking. With the early plants the fish should be scattered out through the river. Look forward to seeing people enjoying our area on opening day. We will be having the annual Pancake Breakfast at the Woodfords Fire house on Diamond Valley Road. THis is a Fund raiser for the local all volunteer fire department. Stop in and say hi and enjoy some great breakfast. We will be there early and go until the food runs out, usually around 10:00. Look forward to seeing some happy fisherman enjoying a great breakfast.
If you take "Doughnations", I'll be there with a little "Moolah". Fundraisers are good for the departments........Jetspray

TahoeLund
04-17-2015, 09:36 AM
Oh we are always looking for donations. :elephant:

Troutdog 59
04-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Chiming in a bit late with this, but with the low snow year my son and I will be at Wishon Reservoir out of Fresno for the opener. We cant typically get to Wishon for the opener due to the roads still being closed due to snow, but this year (and the last three) the road has opened prior to the opener and the lakes are all ice free, so we will give it a go. We will likley do a little creek fishing in the morning for some wild browns and bows. Not much of size, but fun to fish for with an ultralight rod and a panther martin!!!! My sons alot like me and loves to fish the creeks any time he can. At mid day, we will return to the car for some lunch, then on to Wishon proper to try and get some keepers to bring home for the pan and the smoker. I'm jazzed just thinking about it!!!!!:dancingorange:

Captain Compassion
04-24-2015, 09:15 AM
If you are coming over the hill to the Carson River and Alpine County check road conditions and carry chains.

CC

crazyfisher
04-24-2015, 02:56 PM
Troutdog 59:

We were up at Wishon Res last weekend on Sunday. It was on fire. Caught and released 12 in the 3-4 lbs on shore. A few of them were releasing eggs. Most caught on orange pb or mice tail. We got there kind of late at 2 and only fished until 5:30 since the thunder clouds were rolling in.

Checked out the upper kings river while we were around wishon, didn't fish it but looks great. Never fished that part of the river since I couldn't access it due to vehicle since there is a small stream you have to cross. Wasn't a problem this time since I purchase a SUV.

good luck and let us know how you do :)

by the way we were near where the river comes in from wishon.

Jetspray
04-25-2015, 04:39 PM
Oh we are always looking for donations. :elephant:It was nice meeting you and the fellas/gals, nice breakfast to ward off the cold start for the day:)........Jetspray