PDA

View Full Version : los vaqueros 4/10

miko733
04-11-2015, 06:54 AM
managed to catch 17 trout for four of us. most bites between 9 to 11am. we rented two boats. largest fish 4 1/2 lb. all other fish 1 to 2 1/2 lbs. did notice that the other boats didn't do as well. i think this is due to the fact that they were fishing between 10 to 30' while we fished between 4-10' and very close to the shore. i use a portable fish finder (hummingbird 175 $65 on ebay) to determine the depth and bottom makeup. most fish on orange powerbait. tried chartuse, bubblegum, peach, rainbow, green with less success. there was one boat that caught and released 15 under size stripers.

raider73
04-12-2015, 08:14 AM
u did better than me. managed only 1 trout but had 5 hits from 7:30-9am. fishing from shore. this place is like combat fishing, i used to be by myself on most days in the past and it seems like the salmon are gone, haven't seen one in a long time.

miko733
04-12-2015, 08:03 PM
yep shore fishing will be like a combat zone for awhile. they planted 6000 lbs of trout in the last two weeks for their april trout derby. this is 3 times their usual plant. south cove is always crowded. we're at the marina before 7 am to beat the crowd. if you fish from shore, i suggest you fish only 20 to 40' from shore. most people overcast. i had a chance this weekend to determine the depth at all coves and the shoreline between the marina and south cove where there are trees along the shore line. where people were casting it was 15 to 20' deep. the very end of south cove is the shallowest. almost all the fish we catch are in 6 to 10'. if we could i would beach the boat in a shallow area and fish from shore. the two floating docks are in 30 to 50' on the marina side. when we shore fish in south cove we cast 10 to 20'. i use two rods and i'll cast one short and one long to see what works. been out 16 times this year and we have had the best year in 40 years of fishing. that why 16 trips...the supervisor at the marine knows us and can vouch for us.