PDA

View Full Version : Golden/Brookie cross??

mark59808
05-04-2015, 07:05 PM
I caught the prettiest fish at a place called "North Lake" in the mountains west of bishop at 9500' it was only 5" long and looked like a brookie but also had a golden hue with red on the leading edges of it's fins. Some guy up there said it was a golden/brookie cross?? is there such a thing??? I know I'm a dumb ass for not having a camera Sorry no pic's.. Im just wondering if it was a cross or a sweet looking brookie. It was one of the few fish I ever caught that I couldn't kill, I put it back, it was special..

CAL.NDN
05-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Goggle brook trout images you might see ones that look like the one you caught. The small ones I've got look like you mentioned. But without a pic it's hard to get a clear image.

mark59808
05-04-2015, 07:41 PM
Yeap it was a Brookie looked like this one, The brookies I'm used to catching in Montana have a more green/yellow belly. Sure is a pretty fish, I gotta go back to that area better prepared and do some more fishing, the Eastern Sierras are Awesome.26981.

BigUnInDaBoat
05-04-2015, 09:05 PM
Brookies are a char and I do not believe they can hybridize with true trout. Possibly browns, but I am not sure.

phishndad
05-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Brookies are a char and I do not believe they can hybridize with true trout. Possibly browns, but I am not sure.

Beat me to the punch. I was going to say the same thing.

Captain Compassion
05-04-2015, 09:33 PM
I caught the prettiest fish at a place called "North Lake" in the mountains west of bishop at 9500' it was only 5" long and looked like a brookie but also had a golden hue with red on the leading edges of it's fins. Some guy up there said it was a golden/brookie cross?? is there such a thing??? I know I'm a dumb ass for not having a camera Sorry no pic's.. Im just wondering if it was a cross or a sweet looking brookie. It was one of the few fish I ever caught that I couldn't kill, I put it back, it was special..

Don't think that they can cross. Goldens will cross with Cutts and rainbows. Brooks will cross with Macks (Splakes). Brooks can also cross with browns (Tiger). Brookies spawn in the fall and Goldens spawn in the spring. Most likely a brookie.

CC

Mr Ed
05-05-2015, 08:08 AM
+1 with CC.

That picture is of pure EB stock.................and a nice one, too !