PDA

View Full Version : Trophy Sticks trolling depths

mtalley
12-11-2007, 07:45 PM
I just got some trophy sticks in the mail and I want to try thm out in the morning on some stripers. Trolling depth is very important so does anyone know how deep the run. I bought the middle size and the small size. I will be trolling about 2.5 mph and want the lurea at about 20 feet. I do have downriggers but I would like the lures 100 feet or more behind the boat. Thanks for the help.

metalmouth
12-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Why not call the Mfg. and ask? He could tell you exactly as he has a rep that fishes them for Stripers. * ;)

I'm moving this to the vendors board as that is where they answer questions about their products.

fenton_chris
12-11-2007, 10:33 PM
what size u get?

Trout_Tamer
12-12-2007, 08:39 AM
I just got some trophy sticks in the mail and I want to try thm out in the morning on some stripers. *Trolling depth is very important so does anyone know how deep the run. *I bought the middle size and the small size. *I will be trolling about 2.5 mph and want the lurea at about 20 feet. *I do have downriggers but I would like the lures 100 feet or more behind the boat. *Thanks for the help.

Thank you for your inquiry! *When I troll that far behind my downrigger it is safe to say that the 4.5 inch will run 6-7 feet and the 5.5 inch will run 7-8 feet deep and the 6.5 will run about 11 feet at that distance of 100 feet back. *So to keep it simple for you in order to have the lure at 20 feet deep at 100 feet back you would set the downrigger to:

4.5 Inch- 13ft
5.5 Inch- 12ft
6.5 Inch- *9ft

Here is a report on running depths from Mark Wiza's first run at them figuring out their running depths with different line weight, lengths, speed etc. SO FAR....

Your plugs look great, the detailed finish and the actual shape of the gill-plates are very cool. I ran the 6.5 inch on Saturday on Tahoe. *I'm still getting the feel for what your lure does with depth/speed. It usually takes me a while to get the properties of any new bait down. *

I could tell from the diving lip shape, size and angle that I should get at least 15 feet of trolling depth on Tahoe specs, and indeed I hung up in 14 to 16 feet of water. A good standard trolling depth specification would be to troll the plug at 2.5 MPH with 150 feet of 10 pound test (with an average diameter like Berkely Trilene, .011") line out. I got this spec from the box on my Rebel Fastrac, which I found quite helpful. I'm just starting with your lure, but I'd say with these parameters, your 6.5 inch model would go 12 - 14 feet deep. You can't possibly account for every different trolling line/length configuration combo someone who buys your lure would use, but having a basic one that makes sense, like "on 150 feet of 10 pound test this lure trolls 15 feet deep" would be good. *

If you only let out 100 feet for depth tests, you won't get a realistic diving depth for trophy trout anglers, who will troll on average at least 150 to 200 feet. Tahoe is a specialized fishery, but so are some other ones like the Great Lakes, where you might troll a very long, very light line. *

A 'secret' I share with trolling clients is that on Tahoe specs (300 to 400+ feet of 6 to 8 pound line) a Rapala F18 will dive 18 feet or more on the troll. An F9 needs more than 9 feet to keep from hanging the bottom. This also works with jointed Rapalas (J-13 needs more than 13 feet to be safe), but Countdowns are different (CD11 needs 18-20 feet) *

I know trophy trout guys who troll the Rapala F13 in just 6 -10 feet of water, but they are trolling 200 foot lines. Length of trolling line is important, and I've found that lures will troll deeper on longer lines, TO A POINT. *

This factor intersects with line diameter. The fatter the line, the shallower the lure will troll. A plug will dive way deeper on 100 feet of 6 pound line than it will on 15 or 20 pound. It will also continue to achieve additional depth for every foot you let out, whereas with the thickness of say, 20 pound line, the water resistance against the fat line will actaully make your lure troll at a shallower depth for every addtional foot of line you let out beyond the maximum depth you can achieve at that line diameter. *

I hope this makes sense. This comes from experience but also from a number of books I've read with actual trolling charts (speed x lure diving depth x amount of line out x line diameter.) Some of these books actually set up trolling scenarios that would be completely impractical in the real world. And I bet if we trolled your 6.5 inch Trophy Stick at 2.5 MPH on 600 feet of 4 pound Fireline, that puppy would troll 30 feet deep without additional weight. Then we'd either hang the bottom, or a big fish would hit and we'd be screwed. *

From my one morning testing, I'd say your 6.5" lure would troll around 12-14 feet deep on 150 feet of 8-10 pound test at trophy trout speed, and would run closer to 18 feet on 150 YARDS of line.

Also pm me or email me as well and we can further discuss in detail.

Trout Tamer

mtalley
12-13-2007, 07:50 AM
MM,

It was 7:45 at night when I thought about asking the question and I did not feel like bothering Jake that late. By the way I was not aware of the Vendors Board, but it sounds very exciting.

Fenton Chris,

4.5" and 5.5", that would have been good info to let you know in my question, sorry.

Trout Tamer,

Thanks for all the info, Mark sure knows his stuff.

TS sent me a PM the night I asked the question and it seemed to do the trick. I was running the 5.5" at right between 9 and 13 feet otw in 20 feet of water. The lure did produce for stripers and I will post my report on the appropriate board.

Thanks everyone.