PDA

View Full Version : Almanor

RichnWendy
05-11-2015, 05:59 PM
Hey Sniffers, we're going to Lake Almanor for Memorial Day Wknd and just wondering if anyone has had success jigging there. We've never tried it there; looking for input as to where to go and what to use. Let me know! Thanks

RestlessOne
05-14-2015, 02:43 PM
I've fished almanor a lot since the mid 90's, all I used to do was troll and on rare occasions bait fish... The past 4 years or so, i've switched over to primarily jogging with tremendous results... Bigger fish in better numbers. The jig bite moves around the lake through the season as well as the species that will accept your offering. A dept. of forestry biologist, lake resident, and avid angler has turned me on to Berkleys Gulp! Baits. Go with the 3" version in the pond smelt pattern if you can find it, black and white, or watermelon are good second choices. Depending on the bite, I fish them on 1/8 or 1/4 oz gamakatzu jigs. Lighter weight for the lighter bite. Light bites or times of the year when the smelt are in their juvenile phase will sometimes prompt me to trim an inch or so off the head side of the bait, this has been very effective at times. I also use p-line laser minnows in chrome/blue, a variety of sizes work depending on conditions. This time of year, the salmon and Browns typically school up on the west shore near the public launch. This year has not been typical, try the west shore in about 30 FOW, but be prepared to move if the fish aren't there, "the Snag" near the dam launch ramp ( eastern shore about a mile north of the dam) is probably holding fish and was the last place I targeted with any luck...Hamilton branch may also be worth exploring as well as any other sources of flowing water...you may want to soak a bait rod with a crawler while jigging, this works great suspended wherever the fish are holding...you'll likely get a good mix of fish right now, smallmouth, salmon, and trout should all be on the chew. Good luck! Let me know if you want even more detail, I've got plenty of subtle tips to share.

Porem
05-14-2015, 07:21 PM
Wow. Thanks for the great post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichnWendy
05-14-2015, 08:17 PM
I've fished almanor a lot since the mid 90's, all I used to do was troll and on rare occasions bait fish... The past 4 years or so, i've switched over to primarily jogging with tremendous results... Bigger fish in better numbers. The jig bite moves around the lake through the season as well as the species that will accept your offering. A dept. of forestry biologist, lake resident, and avid angler has turned me on to Berkleys Gulp! Baits. Go with the 3" version in the pond smelt pattern if you can find it, black and white, or watermelon are good second choices. Depending on the bite, I fish them on 1/8 or 1/4 oz gamakatzu jigs. Lighter weight for the lighter bite. Light bites or times of the year when the smelt are in their juvenile phase will sometimes prompt me to trim an inch or so off the head side of the bait, this has been very effective at times. I also use p-line laser minnows in chrome/blue, a variety of sizes work depending on conditions. This time of year, the salmon and Browns typically school up on the west shore near the public launch. This year has not been typical, try the west shore in about 30 FOW, but be prepared to move if the fish aren't there, "the Snag" near the dam launch ramp ( eastern shore about a mile north of the dam) is probably holding fish and was the last place I targeted with any luck...Hamilton branch may also be worth exploring as well as any other sources of flowing water...you may want to soak a bait rod with a crawler while jigging, this works great suspended wherever the fish are holding...you'll likely get a good mix of fish right now, smallmouth, salmon, and trout should all be on the chew. Good luck! Let me know if you want even more detail, I've got plenty of subtle tips to share.

Thanks for the great information. Wondering if you have ever had any luck jigging around Rocky Point? Also, when you mention the public boat ramp (west) are you referring to Canyon Dam? Thanks again for sharing, Rich & Wendy

RestlessOne
05-15-2015, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the great information. Wondering if you have ever had any luck jigging around Rocky Point? Also, when you mention the public boat ramp (west) are you referring to Canyon Dam? Thanks again for sharing, Rich & Wendy
I have not tried jigging at rocky point but have trolled speedy shiners and those same gulp
minnows behind an action disc when you need a slow presentation with success. The ramp I was referring to is closer to Pratteville mid lake on the west side. Happy to help

RichnWendy
05-15-2015, 04:46 PM
I have not tried jigging at rocky point but have trolled speedy shiners and those same gulp
minnows behind an action disc when you need a slow presentation with success. The ramp I was referring to is closer to Pratteville mid lake on the west side. Happy to help
Thanks again for all your help! RichnWendy

Brutus20
05-18-2015, 02:21 PM
Great info Restless. Been wanting to fish Almanor for a while now. Such a beautiful place but kinda intimidating ..Good luck R&W and thanks for posting.

...........Brutus..