PDA

View Full Version : Butterknife Jigs

itsbangtime
05-13-2015, 12:40 PM
Here is a tutorial to make butterknife jigs for rockfish. I use them religiously, and they are cheap, easy to make, and they catch fish!

http://itsbangtime.com/butterknife-jigs/

AnglingWes
05-13-2015, 12:55 PM
AWESOME!!! Going to have my Cub Scouts build these for our trip in July. Great tutorial. Thanks!!!

heatsource
05-13-2015, 12:58 PM
ever run them with a hoochie or grub on the hook?

copper pipe jigs are very popular up north, ever tried one down in CA waters?

AnglingWes
05-13-2015, 12:59 PM
I have done the copper pipe thing for bass. It works, bit don't think it is heavy enough for rock and kings.

salmonid
05-13-2015, 01:10 PM
Wes, they fill them with lead for ocean fishing.

I have done the copper pipe thing for bass. It works, bit don't think it is heavy enough for rock and kings.

itsbangtime
05-13-2015, 01:47 PM
I have. I also put grubs on the hooks from time to time, but tipping them with squid is just killer.

I have done the copper pipe thing, they work good too. Smash one side flat, melt old sinkers in there, then pound the other end flat and drill it out in same fashion.

I kayak fish, so space is premium, and butterknife jigs stow nice and tight. the only problem is they only fihs up to about 100' and if the drift is fast, they flutter too much and are really hard to keep vertical. These are my go-to for fishing the kelp beds and edges. Anytime I am under 60' of water, this is what I fish unless the current is ripping, and when that happens, kayak fishing is tough and time to find a sheltered cove, and I am back to these!