PDA

View Full Version : My experience with pyramid lake, please share yours

sarahpee
05-15-2015, 01:58 PM
Although I do have a boat, I elected to go without. I drove to the area and was pleasantly surprised by the remoteness of the area. Relatively primitive, & not a lot of people around, even the "popular" spots. I was kind of skeptical about this lake because of the on-line pics I saw of the elbow to elbow, or step ladder to step ladder fishing I saw. I wish to avoid this type of fishing.

Anyway, i elected to bring my inflatable kayak, and try to employ some boat fishing tactics if shore fishing was limited,mor not productive. Apparently the day before had some big winds, but today was looking perfect...uh scattered overcast, with the sun occasionally peeking through. Not too cold & not too hot, and the wind was calm with just a slight breeze out of the north east.

So I geared up and first launched and paddled out 300 yds from shore in about 40 feet of water. I put on a plastic jig & started bouncing the bottom, letting the light wind push me towards the shore. After 50 minutes, I hooked up. At first it didn't seem to realize it was hooked, making no big, effort to get away. Then he started making some serious runs towards deeper water. This guy pulled me around in my yak...against the breeze. So I played the fish for abt 20 minutes without making any headway. So I decided to loosen up on the drag & start paddling to shore. Once I was abt 100 feet from shore, I tightened up as much as I dare on my 6lb test. Got him to break the surface, but he made two more runs before getting close to the net. Finally was able to get the net under him, he barely fit into my net. I estimate 26-27 inches, and about 10lbs. Released back ASAP...beautiful fish, had a head as big as a salmon. This fishes gut looked absolutely stuffed, as he wasn't hurting for food. Partially coughed up a 8 inch cutthroat trout he recently ate. Magnificent experience, my kind of fishing experience, lots of empty space & solitude.

Captain Compassion
05-15-2015, 05:31 PM
Pyramid is a mystical place and perhaps the greatest fishery in the lower 48. Memories of fishing this lake will come back to haunt you in the stillness of the night and you start counting the days until you can return.

http://epictrout.com/article/viewArticle/2015-02-10%2021:08:44_1

CC

CAL916BEAR
05-15-2015, 05:55 PM
I had a rough experience my first and only trip to the lake... fished 12+ hours for not a mere nibble and spent well over $100 on gas, food, and gear in the meantime not to mention 6+ hrs of driving round trip. I still have a box of gear that okie was kind enough to give me and a box of spoons, jigs, beetles, and minnow imitation with barbless hooks that I probably wont use anywhere else so im a bit iffy on whether or not I wanna risk experiencing that over again lol... having 3 young children and another on the way my fishing opportunities are getting fewer and further between so I usually go somewhere closer where I know ill most likely catch fish. BUT with all that bieng said its reports like this that keep me thinking about it and yearning for one of those big cutts. Thanks for the report, glad you had a good day!

Captain Compassion
05-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Cal you can use some of that stuff for Bass.:cool2: Skunks are part of the Pyramid experience. In late winter and early spring this year I had 4 skunk trips in a row. Didn't bother me much. The lake was still mystical and beautiful.

CC

Line Stretcher
05-15-2015, 08:24 PM
My first trip to Pyramid was a 12 hour round trip with 3 hours of fishing for two decent cuts. I lost a DR ball and a chamberlain release.

I had a great time and scheduled a second trip a few months later. On that trip I made a bunch of new friends, had a fantastic time and brought home two more cuts.

I'm going back in two weeks with my gal and friends that I met the last time and I can't wait.

The place is truly magical if you let it be.

dr.fish
05-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Although I do have a boat, I elected to go without. I drove to the area and was pleasantly surprised by the remoteness of the area. Relatively primitive, & not a lot of people around, even the "popular" spots. I was kind of skeptical about this lake because of the on-line pics I saw of the elbow to elbow, or step ladder to step ladder fishing I saw. I wish to avoid this type of fishing.

Anyway, i elected to bring my inflatable kayak, and try to employ some boat fishing tactics if shore fishing was limited,mor not productive. Apparently the day before had some big winds, but today was looking perfect...uh scattered overcast, with the sun occasionally peeking through. Not too cold & not too hot, and the wind was calm with just a slight breeze out of the north east.

So I geared up and first launched and paddled out 300 yds from shore in about 40 feet of water. I put on a plastic jig & started bouncing the bottom, letting the light wind push me towards the shore. After 50 minutes, I hooked up. At first it didn't seem to realize it was hooked, making no big, effort to get away. Then he started making some serious runs towards deeper water. This guy pulled me around in my yak...against the breeze. So I played the fish for abt 20 minutes without making any headway. So I decided to loosen up on the drag & start paddling to shore. Once I was abt 100 feet from shore, I tightened up as much as I dare on my 6lb test. Got him to break the surface, but he made two more runs before getting close to the net. Finally was able to get the net under him, he barely fit into my net. I estimate 26-27 inches, and about 10lbs. Released back ASAP...beautiful fish, had a head as big as a salmon. This fishes gut looked absolutely stuffed, as he wasn't hurting for food. Partially coughed up a 8 inch cutthroat trout he recently ate. Magnificent experience, my kind of fishing experience, lots of empty space & solitude.

Well done! Six lb test is living on the edge. I usually go with 8 lb P line CXX but this next season am going to try a 10 lb braid

Captain Compassion
05-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Well done! Six lb test is living on the edge. I usually go with 8 lb P line CXX but this next season am going to try a 10 lb braid

Up until 3 years ago I was using 6# CXX. I still use it if I'm going real small so I can cast further. I usually use 12# XL. These fish aren't exactly line shy.

CC