PDA

View Full Version : Natomas big platinum trout in the 1990s?

SierraJetSledder
05-15-2015, 02:17 PM
Back in 1999 I went into Wild Sports in Citrus Heights and I saw amazing 8.5"x11" pictures of several fat 10lb rainbows from Lake Natomas. The weird thing was that those fish were all super bright chrome, more like platinum. I have always wondered, what was the deal with those fish? Why was their color so unique and why have we never seen them since? How about bringing back some more of whatever those were?

sarahpee
05-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Those were the "footballs" that were caught in the upstream narrows, just below the barrier which cautioned you not to proceeded any further. They were thought to be the well fed hatchery holdovers which adapted to feeding on what ever was churned up & came down from Folsom, maybe there might be some naturally reproduction as well. But as you said, these fish were fat, well fed, and shiny bright chrome footballs, and smart. They are most vulnerable when the flows are a bit faster/higher than normal, they were most often caught on bait. They still are some in there, if you put your time in, make sure to get to the bottom (this is a must), you might get one or two. As long as they continue t stock natomas, there will always be a few that adapt to growing large & wise.

CAL916BEAR
05-15-2015, 05:45 PM
There ARE still some in there just very difficult to catch. Trolling rapalas close as you can to the bottom out of small crafts seems to be the ticket....fyi if your not losing lures you aint fishin deep enough

Goldencarp
05-15-2015, 05:57 PM
Anything like this?

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/591/mp0517.jpg

salmonid
05-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Anything like this?

Big pig!

Goldencarp
05-15-2015, 08:07 PM
Supposed to be Lake Natomas in the 90's.

Owlman2
05-15-2015, 08:55 PM
That fish in the picture is the 27# prior state record rainbow that came out of Natoma....in 2007 IIRC.

IMHO it is still the state record, as the 28 pounder that replaced it was raised and caught in weird circumstances.

SierraJetSledder
05-16-2015, 05:12 PM
Thanks for posting that photo, that was the huge type of trout with the super bright color that I remembered. Really unique, glad to hear there are still some left, I won't be taking any out if I ever get to catch one, especially given the limited stocking that they seem to have at Natomas now. Many thanks.

salmonid
05-16-2015, 05:34 PM
Good thread, SierraJetSledder!

Kind of an aside if the fish you are talking about are holdover hatchery plants but this still may be of interest...

In the reservoir just upstream of Natoma (Folsom) there are good sized wild and native rainbows that also have that bright color. Some anglers claim they are steelhead that come down to the lake from the American river just above it.

Turns out they are indeed wild fish spawned from resident tout up there that initiate the anadromous lifestyle but are blocked by the dam. I wonder if they can make it to Lake Natoma??

Anyway, these native fish are now being considered for replacement of the Eel River strain at the Nimbus hatchery for steelhead production in coming years. The changeover in hatchery stocks has been sidelined for the time being, but it will be interesting to watch how it unfolds.

USED 2 B IRON
05-16-2015, 09:54 PM
Good thread, SierraJetSledder!

Kind of an aside if the fish you are talking about are holdover hatchery plants but this still may be of interest...

In the reservoir just upstream of Natoma (Folsom) there are good sized wild and native rainbows that also have that bright color. Some anglers claim they are steelhead that come down to the lake from the American river just above it.

Turns out they are indeed wild fish spawned from resident tout up there that initiate the anadromous lifestyle but are blocked by the dam. I wonder if they can make it to Lake Natoma??

Anyway, these native fish are now being considered for replacement of the Eel River strain at the Nimbus hatchery for steelhead production in coming years. The changeover in hatchery stocks has been sidelined for the time being, but it will be interesting to watch how it unfolds.
in the 70's a group of men were catching steelhead in the basin and then they would release them in lake natoma.this thread has brought back good memories.thank you MEN :smile:

Troutbead
05-17-2015, 07:14 AM
in the 70's a group of men were catching steelhead in the basin and then they would release them in lake natoma.this thread has brought back good memories.thank you MEN :smile:

Should we also thank the men who decided it was a good idea to plant pike in Lake Davis? Unauthorized planting shoukd never be condoned no matter how great an idea it may seem. Just a really bad idea.

Owlman2
05-17-2015, 07:48 AM
Should we also thank the men who decided it was a good idea to plant pike in Lake Davis? Unauthorized planting shoukd never be condoned no matter how great an idea it may seem. Just a really bad idea.

Good point.

That is also how we wound up with smallmouth bass in Prosser Creek Reservoir and the Truckee River.

Carp were introduced to the USA in the 1800s because the DFW types back in the day thought they would be the ideal game fish. So I'm thinking that "authorized" planting is not always a good idea either. The problem with these sorts of decisions is that there is no going back.

But back to the planting of "steelhead"....my understanding is that steelhead are genetically the exact same fish as rainbow trout...it is only the trip to the ocean that makes them "different". It always seems to me that a lot is made about the advantages of planting steelhead in landlocked waters, and I believe that if they cannot get to the ocean they are no different than any other rainbow.

At least I think that is the case....

TroutLife
05-17-2015, 10:51 AM
Good point.

That is also how we wound up with smallmouth bass in Prosser Creek Reservoir and the Truckee River.

Carp were introduced to the USA in the 1800s because the DFW types back in the day thought they would be the ideal game fish. So I'm thinking that "authorized" planting is not always a good idea either. The problem with these sorts of decisions is that there is no going back.

But back to the planting of "steelhead"....my understanding is that steelhead are genetically the exact same fish as rainbow trout...it is only the trip to the ocean that makes them "different". It always seems to me that a lot is made about the advantages of planting steelhead in landlocked waters, and I believe that if they cannot get to the ocean they are no different than any other rainbow.

At least I think that is the case....
You are right. Steelhead are Rainbow trout in anadromous water, when they reach 15" are considered steelhead. If they have gone to the ocean yet or not. That's how DFW classify them at least. One might think they are different from the size and amount of fight they give. What a difference a trip or two to the ocean can make.

BIG FIN
05-17-2015, 07:34 PM
Anything like this?

Goldencarp , guys name is Frank Palmer and I believe that was a state record rainbow for a time , Frank passed last year at a much too young age his ticker was too big just like that fish . Alot of you hit it right on , it came from the narrows by the Prison . Frank was very cagey he would never tell me exactly where his spots were only would say go at night and use jigs which were hand tied but he would not sell me any , the last time I tried to find it I ended up with Posion Oak!!!! That Pic will always hang from the walls at work and the stories of Frank walking the streets of Folsom with monster bows will live forever !!! Tightlines Frank RIP Big Fin

Troutbead
05-17-2015, 09:59 PM
Goldencarp , guys name is Frank Palmer and I believe that was a state record rainbow for a time , Frank passed last year at a much too young age his ticker was too big just like that fish . Alot of you hit it right on , it came from the narrows by the Prison . Frank was very cagey he would never tell me exactly where his spots were only would say go at night and use jigs which were hand tied but he would not sell me any , the last time I tried to find it I ended up with Posion Oak!!!! That Pic will always hang from the walls at work and the stories of Frank walking the streets of Folsom with monster bows will live forever !!! Tightlines Frank RIP Big Fin

It is still the state record at 27lbs. The domestic rainbow (planters/ privately raised) record is slightly larger but that record means nothing. Frank has the real record.

USED 2 B IRON
05-18-2015, 09:50 AM
WOW:bump:

BIG FIN
05-18-2015, 05:37 PM
It is still the state record at 27lbs. The domestic rainbow (planters/ privately raised) record is slightly larger but that record means nothing. Frank has the real record.

Yeah he does own that record , that fish was probably over that 27lbs cause he had to take it to Fish & Game the next morning , I remember him telling me it was late that night and he had problems finding a certified scale . Something about the grocery store had one but for some reason Fish & Game did not recognize it . Tightlines BF

CAL916BEAR
05-19-2015, 05:11 AM
My dad was good friends with frank, we fished with him several times when I was a kid. I remember him pulling 10 pounders out of lake natomas like they were planter trout using some glow in the dark jig. My dad acknowledged him as the best fisherman he ever met, used to say "man that guy could catch a fish in a outhouse" lol.... he was always kinda a d**k to me but I was probably just an annoying kid to him lol... I remember seeing that 27 lber in a picture and it saying he caught it on a rapala which I knew was bs cuz I never seen him use anything besides jigs

Goldencarp
05-19-2015, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the additional info, a great fish from a great fisherman.

Owlman2
05-19-2015, 09:45 AM
My dad was good friends with frank, we fished with him several times when I was a kid. I remember him pulling 10 pounders out of lake natomas like they were planter trout using some glow in the dark jig. My dad acknowledged him as the best fisherman he ever met, used to say "man that guy could catch a fish in a outhouse" lol.... he was always kinda a d**k to me but I was probably just an annoying kid to him lol... I remember seeing that 27 lber in a picture and it saying he caught it on a rapala which I knew was bs cuz I never seen him use anything besides jigs

Funny you say that...

I have gotten to somewhat know a local guy in my fishing travels who knew Frank for years....he said the same thing about him. He had a touch and an instinct for fishing that defied explanation....and he outfished everyone around him...always.

As far as the state record fish, I have read and heard more BS about how it was caught and on what, I doubt that Mr. Palmer ever told anyone "the whole truth". It's just the way fishermen are I think...they withhold the key pieces of information that they feel are critical to success. The more serious and dedicated the fisherman, the more they lie....LOL.

I think legendary deeds like state record fish are often more the product of dedication than of knowledge and technique. As I understand it, Mr. Palmer practically lived at Lake Natoma for years, fishing day and night, in the quest to catch that record. He definitely "earned it".

A lot of the time, if the weather and conditions or whatever are not perfect, I would rather sit on my arse and watch TV than go fishing. As I understand, Frank was not like that. He lived, breathed, ate, drank, and slept fishing.

fishy_fishy_fish
05-20-2015, 06:36 PM
Whenever Folsom's spillways flow, all kinds of fish drop into Natomas. A friend of mine caught a small King out of there 5 years ago. The can produce a new record. Every year the lake kicks out big rainbows, some of the guys are very hush! I've seen rainbows caught out of there over ten pounds and more! One time 3 in morning! Sad thing is all 3 were kept! No records can be broken when people keep potential up and comers! :(

Tyeechinook
05-21-2015, 10:51 AM
I caught a 10lb king there once...

My biggest rainbow was 18.2lbs. Years ago though. Everyone catches and keeps. That lake should be a one fish limit lake since they don't stock it anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TroutLife
05-21-2015, 02:39 PM
Yum yum! That lake looks so gross to me. Surprised it can sustain trout