PDA

View Full Version : Shad Reports?

BIG_ONE
05-16-2015, 05:59 PM
Why is this thread so quiet now? The shad run is as thick as it gets on the Sacramento River right now. On a good day, I would get easily 10-15 shad in a two hour bite zone (bank fishing). Not sure what is happening on the American River, I'm assuming its still slow until June as it has always been the norm in my experience. From the silence of this thread, I'm assuming everyone must be having fun on the Sac.

:angling:

salmonid
05-16-2015, 06:32 PM
How have you been doing for shad, BIG_ONE?

We will be out tomorrow and will post a report.

Take care,

BIG_ONE
05-16-2015, 06:55 PM
How have you been doing for shad, BIG_ONE?

We will be out tomorrow and will post a report.

Take care,

I've been fishing mostly morning now, most of the bites comes in around 0600 - 0800. After that it becomes real slow with a few bite here and there (probably 1-2 every 30 minutes or maybe an hour). The bites during the evenings aren't as consistent compared to the morning bite. I average about 10-15 fish per trip (3-4 hours) and then there are certain days where I would come close to my limit or limit out in about 3-4 hours. Shad run on the Sacramento this year is a lot better compared to last year.

Wild Hunt
05-16-2015, 07:15 PM
Their not talking because its been hot lol, well couple weeks ago it was real hot at Miller. Now it just seems to be hit or miss. Caught alot and also lost alot some weeks back and its my first year shad fishing too.

salmonid
05-16-2015, 08:05 PM
I've been fishing mostly morning now, most of the bites comes in around 0600 - 0800. After that it becomes real slow with a few bite here and there (probably 1-2 every 30 minutes or maybe an hour). The bites during the evenings aren't as consistent compared to the morning bite. I average about 10-15 fish per trip (3-4 hours) and then there are certain days where I would come close to my limit or limit out in about 3-4 hours. Shad run on the Sacramento this year is a lot better compared to last year.

Solid post!

Yolo
05-16-2015, 10:35 PM
Yes I noticed it too that this year shad is biting a lot better than last year and the weather is a lot cooler. I wish it would stick throughou the summer so we could catch more salmon in August and September :)

This year I experimented with different spots on Sacramento river. For some reason I started thinking that any place (as long as it has relatively shallow waters and faster current) can produce since once shad is in they are all over the river. I was using 1 oz weight and 1/8 shad darts (red and white) with 8 lb flouro leader and tried some places where river is turning in towards the bank you are fishing from and the current is kind of shifted toward the bank more and had some success. Not a terrific one like 10-15 per evening as some are claiming but maybe 4-5 for 2 hours after work like 6-8pm it is still great for me because past 2 years I havne't caught that much at all at Sac river. (Maybe I'm still learning or not so lucky as others)

I just wonder what anybody else thinks about this? Do shad love to hang out at a certain spots like Miller Park, Senki road at Verona and Discovery or are they spread out almost evenly along the river? I kind of stayed away from popular places this year because there are way too many people sometimes.

BIG_ONE
05-17-2015, 10:22 AM
Shad tends to run in patches of school. The goal is to cast as far as possible and work the entire stretch of the river. Most of the shad that I caught hits pretty far out.

HMONG_James_Vang
05-17-2015, 10:43 AM
Shad tends to run in patches of school. The goal is to cast as far as possible and work the entire stretch of the river. Most of the shad that I caught hits pretty far out.

Yes Sac River, 6-8am, cast far out as they will hit out there.

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/jnv2o9/20150516_102308.jpg

dsa2780
05-17-2015, 11:47 AM
You guys that fish shad in the Sac/river road area, what tide do you find to be best for getting bit? I suspect the outgoing, but everytime I try for them either from boat or bank, I come up blanked.

BIG_ONE
05-17-2015, 07:22 PM
You guys that fish shad in the Sac/river road area, what tide do you find to be best for getting bit? I suspect the outgoing, but everytime I try for them either from boat or bank, I come up blanked.

It's not really about tide when it comes to shad fishing, it's more about timing. Shad have a specific time of day that they will be actively biting. Also find the color that they're keen onto and work the depth/speed.

dsa2780
05-17-2015, 07:33 PM
It's not really about tide when it comes to shad fishing, it's more about timing. Shad have a specific time of day that they will be actively biting. Also find the color that they're keen onto and work the depth/speed.

Shad fishing goes way over my head. I can't seem to ever get on the bite, I have dudes catch them right next to me on the bank when we're using the same colors, retrieve and leader setups. Same with drop shotting them from the boat. I think tomorrow evening I'm going to give it a go again and try to find the evening bite. Looks like it's been a killer year so far for shad, a lot better than last year so far. The cooler weather and 1200CFS coming out of the AR really helps I guess, water down to Courtland is 69 degrees even in the afternoon. Wish it stayed like that into summer for our salmon, but I'm sure the flows will be cut.

Wild Hunt
05-17-2015, 10:29 PM
I haven't try the AR, but on facebook, some guys are already slaying them on the American.

I took a drive up to the feather along garden highway, I fished a little here and there but no bites. There isn't 2 many places that you can get to the river without bushwhacking or its a bit steep. I don't mind going to challenging areas, but not alone. Stopped into Elkhorn and listened to some music at Swamp'es, thought about fishing off the dock but boats were coming in.
.Stopped by discovery late evening. They had some kind of music thing there to but it was over and the place was totally trashed.
Think I will just wait for them to come up the AR.

Bigg A
05-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Tide don't matter.....they bite when they want to. Don't matter which river you fish. ...they'll bite all day when you find them

dsa2780
05-18-2015, 04:07 PM
Tide don't matter.....they bite when they want to. Don't matter which river you fish. ...they'll bite all day when you find them

Gonna go set up the kayak in freeport right now and see what I can do for the last 3 hours of daylight.

jkjhung
05-18-2015, 04:51 PM
What color is hitting now? pink?

salmonid
05-18-2015, 04:54 PM
What color is hitting now? pink?

green grubs for us

monkey916
05-18-2015, 06:34 PM
Good luck dsa... I will be in the wastelands area tomorrow... Probably mostly trying for Stripes... Hope I can put the TW down...:rotfl2:

AR tAG
05-18-2015, 09:13 PM
I think this year will be better than last on AR! flows and temp is better and run is in full swing on sac. Perfect ingredients to a classic late AR run! Its been on and off for me on the AR with a mixture of on and of in minutes to a good school coming through and then nothing for days! Interesting mixture of small and large ones as well, one being a 24" chica. Pulled me around for a good 3min!

salmonid
05-18-2015, 09:43 PM
one being a 24" chica

Big one!

AR tAG
05-18-2015, 10:20 PM
Yah. She was pulling upstream like a freight train! :)

Riffle
05-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Caught a few at Verona this am, pink was better then green.

Bigg A
05-22-2015, 01:07 PM
How was the crowd? [emoji41]

salmonid
05-22-2015, 01:36 PM

Gotta dig up my pink ones!

salmonid
05-22-2015, 01:36 PM
How was the crowd? [emoji41]

Gonna be a zoo this weekend I bet!

EG1120
05-22-2015, 01:56 PM
I will be in Verona tomorrow taking the kids, wife...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riffle
05-22-2015, 02:53 PM
Not bad for boats, probably 15 from the mouth down just past the docks, quite a cried on the bank spots down below

BIG_ONE
05-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Seems like the shad bites on the Sacramento is starting to die out. Anything going on the American?

baustin
05-28-2015, 03:58 PM
Seems like the shad bites on the Sacramento is starting to die out. Anything going on the American?

No luck on AR thus far, tried a few spots from paradise to hatchery, nada. All my efforts have been in the late evening though. I'm hearing there's basically only a very early morning bite right now. 4:30 AM to 9:00 AM and then it's off from what I've heard. Hopefully warmer weather may change things? Seeing no action at dusk is a bit bewildering.