PDA

View Full Version : Must really hurt

siskiyoufisherman
06-02-2015, 07:29 AM
I was on the river and heard the snap. Another fly fisherman's pole going down. Then this week a friend told me he just broke his second rod. Man that must hurt at $300 a rod for Fly Poles now a days. My $45 Ugly Stick catches everything from little blue gill to big 'ol salmon and it still hurts to close it in the tailgate or step on it or some of the other clumsy things I've done in the past to snap one. How did you break your last rod?

Fishbucket
06-02-2015, 07:53 AM
Shimano.

Was just casting for stripers in Petaluma. Tip section broke half way down and went sailing with the rattle trap. Other than that a couple years ago, knock on wood, I've been lucky.

rkhinsacto
06-02-2015, 11:55 AM
I was on the river and heard the snap. Another fly fisherman's pole going down. Then this week a friend told me he just broke his second rod. Man that must hurt at $300 a rod for Fly Poles now a days. My $45 Ugly Stick catches everything from little blue gill to big 'ol salmon and it still hurts to close it in the tailgate or step on it or some of the other clumsy things I've done in the past to snap one. How did you break your last rod?
Closed my window on a 8'6" Lamiglass light Steelhead casting rod. Now it's a 8'3" rod.:nevezuha1bz:

redneckpunk
06-02-2015, 12:53 PM
I had a couple rods (Shimano Downrigger, 2 Ugly Stik), all within a month or so snap on me and all in the same area of the rod, just below the bottom eye. Two were casting fatalities and one went at Rollins while letting my line out with a set of flashers and a nightcrawler. Thought I was jinxed, had only broken one rod in 40 years and there went 3 in a couple weeks. Wasnt until the third that I started to really think something was wrong because they were all too similar in how they broke. And as I sat on the shoreline, PO'd and stewing over it, a lightbulb went off and I realized what had happened.

I used to have my rods stored on the back wall of my garage in a vertical position. The same wall that when angeling the boat into the garage I would occasionally "bump" with the teak swim platform. Not being at the back of the boat when it would "bump" I didn't realize exactly where. Turned out the platform was at the exact height that all the rods broke. Opps!! Live and learn. Rods are now ceiling mounted out of the way of everything and nothing is along that back wall in the area of the platform. On a positive note from this, I decided when I replaced those rods that I would upgrade to a bit more expensive gear, but not forgetting my Ugly Stik roots.

~RNP

Must Fish
06-02-2015, 02:55 PM
One of the first time's fishing in my Yak I got snagged in the water below a tree. Paddled over to get it out and forgot I had a rod standing up in the holder behind me. Snapped off between the 1st two eyes. Cut the rod down to the 2nd eye. Still a solid pole with just a little less bend and feel. Hopefully learned my lesson the first time.

Cali Duck
06-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Had my cheapo Daiwa bass pole in a lateral rod holder in the boat...my pup tried to use the rod tip as a step...snap!

broken bonz
06-02-2015, 03:33 PM
I have a anchor rope tied down cleat in my bow....got into a nice school of gills...Wife had a nice one on in the back of the boat and wanted me to net it lol...so set my favorite ultra lite down...helped her..ran back...picked up the rod to get back in action...it had slipped under the cleat...snapped in half....dammit!! Had that pole since I was about 8:duh:

salmonid
06-02-2015, 03:46 PM
Got a refurbished rod...

Landed some chinook with it back in Oregon. One day a salmon hook up and the butt section simply busts in half. Lost fish.

Used rods sketch me out now!

CAL.NDN
06-02-2015, 04:25 PM
I had to make a trip to air gas a few weeks ago and get a bottle exchange I was at work and had my old ugly and my custom S-Pro bass rod in back and decided I will just prop up and all will be good Dam stupid choice!!!! had that S-Pro for a long ass time and has slayed thousands of ditch pickles! It made it fine there and all the way back till I pulled in to the shop last turn and I heard it fall down and heard SNAP!!!!!! NO BUENO. The ugly survived but my favorite old trusty got snapped in two places first and second eye. And all I would had to do different is take them out sit in the shop like I did the other day with my 2 rods. Live and learn.

Plug-n-Jug
06-03-2015, 11:16 AM
I had a custom built 8'6" rod with a Penn Spinning reel. A friend and I were fishing the Sac river for cats. Got into a snag and then broke off the line. We decided we had enough for the day and packed it up. While driving back north on I5 to Sacramento I here a loud thump in the back of the truck. Look in the rear view mirror just in time to see my rod kartwheeling end over end untill it hits the highway. Then got to see the Freightliner behind me SMASH IT TO PIECES!!!!! %*#!$&##!!!!! Figured that the free line must have free spooled out and caught something on the road causing it to jerk the rod out.

Catfish Blues
06-03-2015, 02:52 PM
My buddy dove into the river on Monday night right close to Garcia Bend. Somehow his GL2 paired with a metanium went flying out of his hands on a nasty backlash. I looked back and saw a look of fear I have never seen before from him. He pulled his pack of cigs and keys out of his pockets, threw them on the back deck and dove for it. He came up with rod in hand and we got over to the bank so he could get back on the boat. Luckily he had a sweatshirt he switched to and we were only gonna go till sundown so he went with soaking jeans like a pro. He said "there is no way I'm losing $700 worth of gear!"

salmonid
06-03-2015, 03:36 PM
My buddy dove into the river on Monday night right close to Garcia Bend. Somehow his GL2 paired with a metanium went flying out of his hands on a nasty backlash. I looked back and saw a look of fear I have never seen before from him. He pulled his pack of cigs and keys out of his pockets, threw them on the back deck and dove for it. He came up with rod in hand and we got over to the bank so he could get back on the boat. Luckily he had a sweatshirt he switched to and we were only gonna go till sundown so he went with soaking jeans like a pro. He said "there is no way I'm losing $700 worth of gear!"

I think I would've tried to snag it with another rod first!

Glad he got it though!

J_W
06-05-2015, 09:09 AM
My last rod breakage was me being a drunk idiot reaching for the net in my buddies drift boat to land his fish and I stomped on one of my favorite multi use rods. It still hurts! I have nightmares about breaking my favorite rods, wake up in a cold sweat relieved it was just a dream!

J W

kyleb
06-05-2015, 01:58 PM
Back in high school I was fishing with my buddy, he thought it would be funny to throw my rod in the lake just deep enough to where i could see it but still be out of reach. So i thought it would be funny to slam his rod in my truck door........we're cool now :)