PDA

View Full Version : First time fishing in the bay on my own boat

trania_000
06-03-2015, 07:24 PM
I have been itching to go out fishing on the bay for awhile now. Not too long ago I went out on a Charter boat out in San Pablo Bay. Had an amazing time.

Well now I want to try going out on my own boat. It is a 19' open bow. Id like to try out in SPB again for some shark action if I can. But really I just need to get a line out in the salt.

Im looking for some tips from some fellow Sniffers. Im coming from Sacramento and was thinking of launching from Vallejo. Where would be a good place to pick up bait? And any ideas where to try for some Sharks possibly?

I would like to go out this Sat. I was looking at the weather reports and so far it seems like it should be a perfect day.

Thanks in advance fellow sniffers!

salmonid
06-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Can't help you with sharkin' spots or bait, but have you thought about inviting an experienced bay angler out with you for your first trip?

Could be valuable in terms of fishing info and of course for safety. Just an idea.

Good luck,

trania_000
06-03-2015, 07:39 PM
I absolutely have, but unfortunately schedules just havent worked out for that. Lol

Was hoping I could get out there and give it a try. I wont be alone, but none of us have been out on the bay in our own boats. Im pretty cautious when im out on the water at all times. I just gotta get out on some other water besides the river! Lol

broken bonz
06-03-2015, 08:06 PM
I would never go outa vallejo! Go outa Benica. As far as bait...
The bait situation around here sucks!
There is a bait shop in Benica.

trania_000
06-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Thanks broken! Ill keep that in mind. What is the problem with Vallejo? Ghetto? I think I read somewhere its not a nice part of town.

RacerX
06-03-2015, 10:53 PM
Go out to the main bay and fish with the fleet.

If you don't have a chart plotter use the navonics app to look for depth contours. Run to sf for bait in the morring. Follow all the other boats!
It's been on fire out there.

salmonid
06-03-2015, 11:30 PM
I absolutely have, but unfortunately schedules just havent worked out for that. Lol

Was hoping I could get out there and give it a try. I wont be alone, but none of us have been out on the bay in our own boats. Im pretty cautious when im out on the water at all times. I just gotta get out on some other water besides the river! Lol

Right on, trania,

Sounds like it's time to just go exploring out there!

Halibut bite has been good in SF bay if you want to launch out of the East bay- I believe that is what RacerX is referring to and he's spot on. Very cool how we have the Bay so accessible to us with all of those salt species there!

Best,

salmonid
06-03-2015, 11:31 PM
Go out to the main bay and fish with the fleet.

If you don't have a chart plotter use the navonics app to look for depth contours. Run to sf for bait in the morring. Follow all the other boats!
It's been on fire out there.

:like:

RacerX
06-04-2015, 12:59 AM
Striper and halibut bite has been on. Launch Richmond or Berzerkeley. If you launch Richmond look at a map. If you launch Berkeley you need no experience at all or map or gps just follow the hurd.

Half the boats will be headed out the gate to Muir where the salmon are biting like it's august.

The other half are going to j&p.

Be at j&p bait by 9am. Fill up livewell.

Then, follow the Hurd some more.
Stop and get in line. Drift up to angel island with 80 other boats. Catch fish. Get in line. Drift. Don't hit rocks. Catch fish.

Follow Hurd to the flats. Dift. Catch hailis.

Run home.
Enjoy fish cooked in beer batter.

RacerX
06-04-2015, 01:17 AM
Oh, and everyone that has a 16' - 19' boat on here that is wondering if they can take their boat out for salmon, YOU should be in the bay fishing right now. There is no swell but plunty of wind waves and when making runs there will be plunty of spray coming over the bow and in the boat. Great time to test out the bilge pump as it will be running all day. If you can fish in the bay you should be able to make runs for salmon. Also if you can run from Bodega you can run across the bay and out the gate to Muir or dux. The fish are there. You should be too.
P.s. Bring your rain gear.

broken bonz
06-04-2015, 05:08 AM
Thanks broken! Ill keep that in mind. What is the problem with Vallejo? Ghetto? I think I read somewhere its not a nice part of town.

Well put it this way. You'll have no truck or trailer when you get back.
I live in berressa, so when I hit the bay I launch outa Benica and make the trek to sf and get bait. Angel island has been good to me!

@Lschilling
06-04-2015, 05:51 AM
We fish SPB and the fleet all the time. First with a 17 open bow now with a 32. SPB can be very rough for small boats when the fog is burning off so watch the weather,winds and tides. Sharks are everywhere there. We use eel and have caught them just off mare island and a bit further down near buoy 5. About 15-20 feet of water in the current. Lots of sharks and some skates. Of you launch from Benicia the bait shop there has eel. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trania_000
06-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the tips @Lschilling! And everyone else! I think im going for sure now!

Luke5150
06-04-2015, 08:07 AM
I have been itching to go out fishing on the bay for awhile now. Not too long ago I went out on a Charter boat out in San Pablo Bay. Had an amazing time.

Well now I want to try going out on my own boat. It is a 19' open bow. Id like to try out in SPB again for some shark action if I can. But really I just need to get a line out in the salt.

Im looking for some tips from some fellow Sniffers. Im coming from Sacramento and was thinking of launching from Vallejo. Where would be a good place to pick up bait? And any ideas where to try for some Sharks possibly?

I would like to go out this Sat. I was looking at the weather reports and so far it seems like it should be a perfect day.

Thanks in advance fellow sniffers!

Hello, I would advise launching out of benicia, vallejo launch is pretty shallow and recently got out truck broken in to... low lives lurkin' in that area. Also benicia bait is pretty good. For sharks, almost anything stinky works. As said above try around bouy 5. Anywhere from 15-25 ft should work.

niko
06-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Oh, and everyone that has a 16' - 19' boat on here that is wondering if they can take their boat out for salmon, YOU should be in the bay fishing right now. There is no swell but plunty of wind waves and when making runs there will be plunty of spray coming over the bow and in the boat. Great time to test out the bilge pump as it will be running all day. If you can fish in the bay you should be able to make runs for salmon. Also if you can run from Bodega you can run across the bay and out the gate to Muir or dux. The fish are there. You should be too.
P.s. Bring your rain gear.
What's the "ideal" size of a good saltwater boat for the bay?

RacerX
06-04-2015, 12:05 PM
Bigger is better of course I want a striper 2601 with two 150s....

It's really all about your boat it's design, freeboard and weight distribution.

Also how you have it setup.

If you have a 16 foot valco I wouldn't recommend taking it out there.

If you have a nice deep V 16 foot walk though, I would say you will be ok.

Alot of it is about comfort.

We take the tracker V18 walk though with a merc 115 out to dux.
The hull performs amazing in big water. I see a lot of lunds and Duckworths out there aswell.

The tracker windows are not very tall so you get alot of spray over the window when running. Also have a huge emergency bilge pump that we have never had to use but the main bilge is pumping spray out on windy days.

I would say anything less than 18 feet would be "less than ideal".
But like I said it depends on your boat and setup and how hard core you are.

fishing 707
06-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Just my two cents.. Take a look at launching out of Sonoma launch ramp at the pet river mouth. Short run to the triangle and quick back if the weather gets questionable and like everyone says plenty of shark along with stripers and sturgeon. That's were I always fished until getting a bigger boat. If I'm fishing San Pablo now I launch out of San Rafael. Short run in either direction if you want to explore alcatraz and that area.it gets nasty past the same Rafael bridge so take care.. Not cheap(20$) but a good launch and safe. I'm in Santa Rosa so unless I'm fishing mbf(I launch out of Martinez) I always launched on my side.. Side note my truck was stolen from the benecia public ramp on easter Sunday of 2014 so I will never launch there again and the wind sucks at that dock. Not for the inexperienced!!
Good luck and have a great time...always keep an eye on gps and fishfinder for depth.your draft is pretty shallow but still a lot of shallow water in spb during low tide.

trania_000
06-04-2015, 01:08 PM
My buddy that knows the waters at my work but cant make it due to scheduling issues recomended i launch out of San Rafael. Said I could even get bait right there. Im leaning towards launching there this Sat. Thank you again to everyone for the great tips. Hopefully ill be able to post up some pics afterwards!

niko
06-04-2015, 01:20 PM
Thank you for the information racer x. I was thinking about purchasing a bayliner to take out there, but I have a change of heart now lol

broken bonz
06-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Just my two cents.. Take a look at launching out of Sonoma launch ramp at the pet river mouth. Short run to the triangle and quick back if the weather gets questionable and like everyone says plenty of shark along with stripers and sturgeon. That's were I always fished until getting a bigger boat. If I'm fishing San Pablo now I launch out of San Rafael. Short run in either direction if you want to explore alcatraz and that area.it gets nasty past the same Rafael bridge so take care.. Not cheap(20$) but a good launch and safe. I'm in Santa Rosa so unless I'm fishing mbf(I launch out of Martinez) I always launched on my side.. Side note my truck was stolen from the benecia public ramp on easter Sunday of 2014 so I will never launch there again and the wind sucks at that dock. Not for the inexperienced!!
Good luck and have a great time...always keep an eye on gps and fishfinder for depth.your draft is pretty shallow but still a lot of shallow water in spb during low tide.

That sucks bout yer stuff gettin jacked! Guess it can happen anywhere. I have gone outa there Atleast 30 times and have good luck. Yer rite about the wind tho!

timothywpothier
01-21-2016, 12:32 AM
First time fishing is a very amazing experience. I can remember when I went to fish for first time. I got sun burned my skin while tried to catch fish for 4 hours, but not hold of one that I could have said a great catch. However, I caught some but all of those are little size fishes.