PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Silver Lake this year?

Lifted
06-05-2015, 09:02 AM
As the title implies, I'm curious about Silver Lake. I'll be up there next Sun-Tues fishing from a boat. I've fished Caples a few times over the years and it's been productive for big trees and rainbows, but this will be my first time at Silver. Any recent reports or advice on lure selection/colors and parts of the lake to target? We'll be there long enough that hopefully we'll figure it out. Plan to put the downriggers to use for macks as well.

G-Loomy
06-05-2015, 10:13 AM
Some sniffers have been to Silver this year. It was planted, by the dam, a few weeks ago. Sniffers fished with power bait, worms and kast masters near dam and caught some trout. My understanding is that Silver has been planted again within the last 7 days. If you are trolling, you should know that there is a river channel that runs on the north eastern/eastern side of the lake. If you have a fish finder, you will find it…most of the lake is fairly shallow, and then you’ll see it will get deep when you are over the trench (30-60 ft deep)…. Try to troll deep in the trench with large stick baits like rapalas if you want macks.

For trout? NORTH EAST/EAST SIDE OF LAKE Dodger and worm combo is tough to beat. However, I usually do best trolling near or in the trench, at about 15-25 feet deep with a doger and a green GULP worm or mice tail. (troll no faster than 1.4 MPH)….That seems to usually work for me. You will see creeks entering the lake on the east side of the lake…trout will feed there. Good bait fishing from boat at the creek inlets (bait or troll---Bobbers with worms underneath also work at creek inlets). Don’t forget to bait fish near the dam…they’ll be some stockers there (although it usually doesn’t take long for the stockers to spread out via the river channel. Good luck.

TroutLife
06-05-2015, 11:32 AM
I've fished bear a few times. It has produced macs 2-18lbs and browns to 6lbs and alot of small planters. Everything I caught on hard baits. Good luck, I've never fished silver, always bear and caples

Lifted
06-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys. Looking at Google maps, the first thing I noticed was how apparent the river channel was coming in from the south, so we'll definitely be targeting that. We've got a wide variety of Rapalas/cranks, so it sounds like they'll be getting a workout. The fish finder will definitely be coming in handy.

In regards to the worm/dodger or worm/flasher setup, I try it fairly regularly because it comes so well recommended, but out of all the fish I've caught trolling over the years none have been on that setup. Even when using a worm threader, after a while it always ends up in a clump down by the hook. Are you only supposed to use half a crawler? Any tips? I've heard the tactic recommended so often that I must be doing something wrong to have it fail me so many times. Then again flashers in general are something else that come highly recommended yet have only produced 3-4 fish for me over the past few years, so I hardly use them (plus it's a lot less fun fighting the fish when you have to reel all that hardware in). For the record I always fish with my buddy when on the boat & we use 2 riggers at different depths, 1 topliner & 1 leadcore so there's plenty of room to switch things up.

G-Loomy
06-07-2015, 08:38 AM
The Clump of worm is a problem. using 1/2 of worm helps...
I rarely use flashers, i mostly use a single slingblade doger...Worm 10-12 inches below
always troll this setup at around 1mph-1.3mph..that helps with clump (which means you cant have a rapala on the "other line" becasue Rapalas need a faster speed)
I usualy thread the worm and put a small salmon egg, or 1/2 of a power egg on the curve of the hook (at the end of the worm) and that usually acts as a "peg" that prevents the worm from slipping down.

FYI: 80% of the time I am trolling this setup...im not using a live worm...ive switched over to berkly power worms, GULP worms...the small ones and I use a "tru turn blood red panfish hook" that really goes well with those small plastic worms...That GULP stuff usually outfishes the live worm in my opinion, but not always.

my number one setup for planted trout at silver is a green sling blade, green GULP worm on red tru turn hook about 12 inches below slingblade....1-1.3 mph... one rod top line...the other rod is lead core or fluro with a 1/4 ounce bullet sinker above slingblad.
Good luck.

ajaxfishing
06-11-2015, 07:36 AM
I'll be heading up to Silver on Friday. I appreciate the posts from you all, and I'll give a report too. In the past, I've done well trolling with flashers and crawlers, but sometimes I'll just slide back into a little cove, and fish Power Bait in about 15-20 feet of water. We'll see now it goes. I'm very fortunate because I only live about 30 miles from this beautiful lake. Good luck to all.

outdoordude
06-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Don't forget the gold kastmaster, when I was there last there is a rock formation off the island out from kit carson by the island, med to large kastmasters vertical jigged, give that a try, can be fast and fun.

Lifted
06-11-2015, 09:07 AM
Don't forget the gold kastmaster, when I was there last there is a rock formation off the island out from kit carson by the island, med to large kastmasters vertical jigged, give that a try, can be fast and fun.

Thanks for the tip. Whenever anyone poses the question "If you could only use one lure for the rest of your life what would it be?" My answer is usually a gold Kastmaster. I love those things, so I definitely have some I can use. Besides trout I used them in Minnesota to catch sunfish, bass, walleye and pike, so it's definitely a versatile lure!

Keith2010
06-11-2015, 09:48 PM
I'll be heading up to Silver on Friday. I appreciate the posts from you all, and I'll give a report too. In the past, I've done well trolling with flashers and crawlers, but sometimes I'll just slide back into a little cove, and fish Power Bait in about 15-20 feet of water. We'll see now it goes. I'm very fortunate because I only live about 30 miles from this beautiful lake. Good luck to all.

Yes, please let me know how it goes. I was hoping to be up there today, but I will be up there for sure next Thurs., have reservations & getting pretty darn excited to get away....good luck to ya, ajaxfishing...