PDA

View Full Version : Securing Salmon Roe To Hook?

sturgeon_general
12-18-2015, 03:57 PM
Is there any other way to secure roe to your hook than cheese cloth or gauze?I hate the mess and hassle every time I use it.Is there a way to make it tougher so it is not so gooey ?It is a pain in the neck and to time consuming and messy for me.Fish don't like to bite when wrapped in cheese cloth, more action when gooped on hook raw with a few wraps of sewing thread from my experience which is one time per fishing trip is all I can stand.Any suggestions?

MyPhoenix2301
12-18-2015, 05:14 PM
In Alaska they use hooks tied with an egg-loop that you place the roe in and pull the leader tag end tight to hold the roe.

dsa2780
12-18-2015, 07:32 PM
We talking single zombie eggs or good skein roe? When I did it with roe I always used the eggloop knot or wrapped it up with magic thread around the hook. My roe was really good quality though. What do I know, I never caught anything on it other than catfish lol.

One of my old timer friends said he would fish with a dude who never sat more than 20 minutes in a spot before leaving to find active fish, they caught lots of fish with this dude, said the guy would sit his roe out on the back of the boat all day long allowing it to kind of toughen up, said it was a lot easier to work with when it was sun dried to a degree.

BassJack
12-20-2015, 06:45 PM
First I run it through the loop in my egg loop knot. Then I wrap with magic thread with medium tension. Semi-tight so it stays put, but doesn't mash up the roe too bad.

FlyWright
12-21-2015, 09:16 AM
I prefer to start with the roe frozen but if that's not possible, as cold as I can keep it. It stays in a dedicated Tupperware to contain the inevitable mess. I cut off a golf ball size chunk and, if frozen, cut a shallow slice into it for the line. I wrap it onto my line above the hook with lots of stretchy magic thread. Then I slide it onto my hook with the hook protruding out the bottom.

Jimmy_M
12-28-2015, 10:11 AM
I like to butterfly the roe and let it air dry on a screen to allow for airflow for about 30 minutes, then add salt and sugar. Continue to let it air dry for a couple good hours. This will firm up the outside of the skeins and eggs enough to keep it on the hook but still milk out and be soft on the inside. Egg loop knot and some miracle thread will do the trick. The only downside is the salt will dry up your hands, not fun when it's cold out.

GoodToGoGuy
01-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Roe balls in cheese cloth, hook through the knot on the netting and secured to the hook by sliding a bait button on last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

froggie
01-08-2016, 09:18 AM
We made a small pouch using pantyhose...worked quite well!!

ecarleton
01-10-2016, 03:35 PM
We made a small pouch using panthose...worked quite well!!

Works well. Same with disposable socks. Cut in half and tie one end off. You can secure the sack right above the hook. Then eel on the hook.