PDA

View Full Version : Collins lake status Jan 2016

Grncrestliner
01-15-2016, 02:00 PM
I just drove up to Collins to look around and of course the water is muddy. The main ramp is back in use and the water is 47.5 feet down. I talked to a couple of guys throwing spinners and spoons on one of the rocky points down near the dam and they had a couple of trout and said they had a few hits that they did not land. Not as much debris floating around as I thought there might be and I think I will have to try a trip soon.

Grncrestliner
01-18-2016, 12:27 PM
As of noon today (1-18) the water level is at 38 feet. The west side is really muddy but the east side looks OK. There is one guy out in a boat and it looks like he is bass fishing. As a point of reference for those of you that used the ramp at the dam in the fall the water is well up onto the poured concrete portion now. There is no dock there right now since the main ramp is open again. We had over 3 inches of rain in the last 24 hours and there is still a tremendous amount of run off so the lake will continue to fill.

salmonid
01-18-2016, 04:39 PM
Good.

What does that dirty water do to the trout bite?

Brickinthewall98
01-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Hoping for a good spring this year. Last. Year the fishing was iffy for ke

Grncrestliner
01-18-2016, 07:33 PM
For me if the water is really muddy I don't do well on fishing for much of anything. I will try to target the cleaner water on the east side later this week and most likely I will be looking for bass. I would think some trout have got to be holding near incoming water if it is not too bad. The catfish fishermen tell me they do really well if they can get to flowing water. Maybe some day I should just go up the river channel and throw out some chicken livers or big gobs of night crawlers since I understand some really big cats get caught that way every year at Collins. One duck hunter tells me he does well targeting muddy water cats on duck livers and gizzards.

Grncrestliner
01-21-2016, 07:57 AM
Launched the Crestliner yesterday just because I had not been fishing in weeks. We targeted bass and only had a couple of decent hits on jigs but we did not put a fish in the boat. Tried to fish a couple of locations where the incoming water was a little cleaner with no luck. The only hits came from a rocky point by dragging a 1/2 oz. jig down the point. I located a lot of fish (according to the Lowrance) in 25-35 feet of water but could not get any of those fish to hit anything. Tried the drop shot rigs as well as other soft plastics but no go. Last week the east side was a lot cleaner than the west bank but yesterday the lake was the same color everywhere. It was really tough to see my trolling motor in the water and it is about 18" below the surface so I would say visibility is less than 2'. Water temps were from 49-52 degrees and not as much floating debris as I have seen in the past but some larger tree limbs here and there. Lake level was 34 feet from full and launching is now easy again with a relatively short walk to the parking lot.

Fishbucket
01-21-2016, 10:03 AM
it's amazing how fast Collins can fill-up.