Cone head or bead head???
WHATS THE DIFFERENCE???beside shape???

hooks
01-31-2016, 05:00 AM
looking at a few Crystal wooly buggers
question is

Cone head or bead head???
WHATS THE DIFFERENCE???beside shape???

In general, made from the same material, the cone head weighs more than a bead head.

Cone head is bigger than a bead head and would put off more flash.

Cone heads have a slightly different action than bead heads.

Cone heads cost more than bead heads when you purchase for fly tying.

And...

Some fly fishermen consider cone heads or bead heads to be jigs.

Depending on how you are going to fish the bugger, you may not want either.

With which one would you have the most confidence?

MKE
01-31-2016, 06:29 AM
It all depends on how your going to fish it. I tie both and prefer no bead heads unless the water is moving and the bugger is not sinking. I mostly use my fly rod with a sink tip or sinking line to fish a bugger. But If I'm on my boat trolling I'll use a cone head behind Dodgers. If your fishing it under a bobber you might want the cone head. With or without bead or cone heads the Crystal bugger catches fish all over.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

hooks
01-31-2016, 06:51 AM
Also ... fishing with a bobber you may want to use a balanced fly.

http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t530/dubbinglooper1/Balanced%20Leech/BalancedLeech-1-4_zps62530f98.jpg

stefanoflo
01-31-2016, 02:45 PM
Plan on drift fishing it for steelhead . might go with a tandem rig. first fly will be a yarn-ball or bead and then add the bugger making it look as if something is chasing the egg. like a leach or somethng. cone head might be the fit . either or should work I`m guessing

CAL.NDN
01-31-2016, 03:27 PM
That is a,great set up if fished properly and in the right spots and right times. Your on to something now just experiment. Good luck.

stefanoflo
01-31-2016, 07:55 PM
That is a,great set up if fished properly and in the right spots and right times. Your on to something now just experiment. Good luck.

you got me wondering..... "right spots and right times"" ,means what in English???
to me, if it`s in the water , it`s the right time an the right place. whats your science on it???

stefanoflo
01-31-2016, 08:00 PM
Another thought had was to use a bead less or cone less bugger and just slide a bead over the eye of the hook making it look like a blood sucking leach bugger.you might need to make the hole a tad bigger with a hot needle of sorts to fit the eye, but you can change out the bead color to find the combo that matches.. might do the same with the bugger , bead mix combo .

CAL.NDN
01-31-2016, 08:51 PM
OK I've had best luck let's just say like under trees that hang over where mabey bugs fall from and run off water that leads into the main body of water where mabey a bug might get washed in from. like low light situation. Need I say more that's just some things to consider. That may work in your favor when presenting little fake bugs on the end of a line there fished more than just on a fly rod. Being on the water is always the right time. But learning when and where to present your offering in the water at the right time may just may lead to more fish. Good luck hopefully this helps you out

And to add my biggest trout out of a river was caught in places like I mentioned on olive bugger and split shot close to the bank in low light. 33 1/2 inch 13 1/2 pound rainbow that had eluded Many people's including me for many years. So you get what I'm saying right spot right time presenting your offerings in the right way.

stefanoflo
01-31-2016, 10:07 PM
OK I've had best luck let's just say like under trees that hang over where mabey bugs fall from and run off water that leads into the main body of water where mabey a bug might get washed in from. like low light situation. Need I say more that's just some things to consider. That may work in your favor when presenting little fake bugs on the end of a line there fished more than just on a fly rod. Being on the water is always the right time. But learning when and where to present your offering in the water at the right time may just may lead to more fish. Good luck hopefully this helps you out

And to add my biggest trout out of a river was caught in places like I mentioned on olive bugger and split shot close to the bank in low light. 33 1/2 inch 13 1/2 pound rainbow that had eluded Many people's including me for many years. So you get what I'm saying right spot right time presenting your offerings in the right way.

for sure i will try that out. I have had followers , but no takes in the past. will try and be more forgiving and switch things up for 2016.
lets hope for better fishing and fish.
thanks SF