PDA

View Full Version : Melones 2-3-16 (THEY DO EXIST!)

BigUnInDaBoat
02-03-2016, 02:06 PM
Finally found some trout, main river channel on shore with powerbait. Also lost two and missed some bites, when the sun hit the water they shut off. I found a very shallow flat, full of submerged oaks..somehow the trout were up in that shallow stuff. So there are still trout in 'Lones. Pic was taken on my deck back home, hence the snow.

CAL.NDN
02-03-2016, 02:16 PM
Good job. Have you been fishing deep and far out Bigun? From my experience on lakes in the winter time " but I have never fished melones " the key has been closer to the bank and shallow. And usually with a longer leader like 48" or more. But hey sounds like you may figured it out good job. Must been frustrating having to re figure your home lake. Mine is sly park and I still trying to figure that one out I call sly park limit 2 fish lol. I'm stoked if I can more than that.

BigUnInDaBoat
02-03-2016, 02:22 PM
I've trolled it from surface to 60'. Fan casted lures. Not even any love on my go to jigs. This was an odd place to find trout for sure. It was shallow, out of the main current (but very clear water, even 50 yards away it was more stained) with lots of trees. Should of had more fish, but hey it's better than the skunks I've been getting!

CAL.NDN
02-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Yep that's a victory. The lakes are definitely a hard nut to Crack from the years of drought

Legalbeagle
02-03-2016, 03:52 PM
Nice! It's had to tell from the pic. Are they hold-overs?

BigUnInDaBoat
02-03-2016, 03:57 PM
Nice! It's had to tell from the pic. Are they hold-overs?

They had pretty full fins and tails, but I do think they are this years planters.

Legalbeagle
02-03-2016, 03:59 PM
Not to be a pain in the arse, but I have one more questions: Can I launch without 4X4?

BigUnInDaBoat
02-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Not to be a pain in the arse, but I have one more questions: Can I launch without 4X4? You should be able to, launch is decent. Call glory hole for the latest, the lake is rising 8-10" a day.

MtnFisher
02-03-2016, 07:26 PM
They had pretty full fins and tails, but I do think they are this years planters.

Where are the hold overs? That is the lingering question when New Melones comes to mind!

Nice fish btw.