PDA

View Full Version : Rollins reservoir?

elpollodaro
02-12-2016, 06:37 PM
Anyone been up to Rollins lately? Thinking about heading up there tomorrow.

Owlman2
02-12-2016, 10:16 PM
I was there a week ago...

At that time water was EXTREMELY cloudy....like 6" visibility.

I got nothing.

redneckpunk
02-13-2016, 11:00 AM
Rollins is going to be tough. They have not been planted since early July of last year. The lake does still hold some nice Browns but unless you're familiar with targeting them it's a tough nut to crack. I haven't been up there recently but I'm sure water temps are fairly cold as well turning off the bass bite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

elpollodaro
02-13-2016, 01:29 PM
Was up there today and not even a bite. Trolled everything from worms to lures at several different depths and nothing but it was a very nice day on the lake. There was quite a lot of boats on the water, feels like spring is here.

shakintip
02-13-2016, 06:15 PM
Was up there today and not even a bite. Trolled everything from worms to lures at several different depths and nothing but it was a very nice day on the lake. There was quite a lot of boats on the water, feels like spring is here.

How was the water clarity? I was there 4 days ago and it was murky.

Owlman2
02-13-2016, 09:15 PM
Rollins is going to be tough. They have not been planted since early July of last year. The lake does still hold some nice Browns but unless you're familiar with targeting them it's a tough nut to crack. I haven't been up there recently but I'm sure water temps are fairly cold as well turning off the bass bite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I was there a bit over a week ago water temps were in the mid-40s.

elpollodaro
02-13-2016, 09:26 PM
The water was very murky and there was a fair amount of debrie.

Owlman2
02-13-2016, 09:31 PM
I am tempted to just put trout fishing on hold for a month or so....

Everyone of my favorite haunts has been very murky....with between 6" and 24" visibility. I don't know how much trout feed in those conditions....but I never catch any in cloudy water.

kightboy
12-06-2016, 08:57 PM
After reading the Dec 9 to 23 Fish Sniffer I'm tempted to try Rollins.
Problem is, I can't figure out how to get access to anything. I was up there in November of last year when it was really low and the only access point I could find was the dam. Fish Sniffer told of fishing at the Long Ravine Launch ramp and then trying Freeloaders cove. I see the Long Ravine Campground and can find that.
I searched for a map for about an hour and can't find out where Freeloaders cove is. Can anyone direct me? Is it within the Long Ravine Campground area?
For lake access to the shore is it mandatory to visit one of the campgrounds and pay a fee? I don't mind doing so if I can find a nice spot to soak some worms and dough.
Thanks.
Chris

redneckpunk
12-06-2016, 09:03 PM
Freeloaders Cove is accessible from the road going into Long Ravine. Before you get to the shack to pay, at the horseshoe in the road, go straight on the dirt road. That takes you down to the water. You do not have to pay at this location.

redneckpunk
12-06-2016, 09:09 PM
On this map, you cannot see the dirt road to the water but at the green dot marking the campground (marked wrong, campground is up road a bit further) is where the dirt road or fire road turn off is. The red marker is the end of the road and is Freeloaders Cove
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161207/34368472b79f1220d5f64bdb9e6d9ed1.png

Owlman2
12-06-2016, 09:09 PM
I was there for 5 or 6 hours about a week ago, on one of our recent rainy days, trolling for browns. Trolled the entire perimeter of the lake...both arms...twice. I was the only boat on the lake.

I got nothing....not even a bump. Normally when targeting browns I at least hook up a rainbow or smallmouth or something....but I went the entire day without a hit.

kightboy
12-08-2016, 08:02 AM
On this map, you cannot see the dirt road to the water but at the green dot marking the campground (marked wrong, campground is up road a bit further) is where the dirt road or fire road turn off is. The red marker is the end of the road and is Freeloaders Cove

Hey, this is super-helpful and I appreciate it. I'll post a report after going up there with some worms and dough. I just want a morning on the water with quiet and lake wonderfulness. Catching something would be a bonus, right? I had gone up there about a year ago and, not knowing anything about the lake, I drove into the campground entrance (next to Freeloaders cove) and spoke with a guy that worked there. He told me that the entire lake is privately owned and there is absolutely no access to any part of it except by boat launch. The only exception was the dam so I fished at the dam. I realize now, of course, that he was sort-of "fudging" the truth. OR he was a lying dawg basterd. something like that.
Chris

Owlman2
12-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Hey, this is super-helpful and I appreciate it. I'll post a report after going up there with some worms and dough. I just want a morning on the water with quiet and lake wonderfulness. Catching something would be a bonus, right? I had gone up there about a year ago and, not knowing anything about the lake, I drove into the campground entrance (next to Freeloaders cove) and spoke with a guy that worked there. He told me that the entire lake is privately owned and there is absolutely no access to any part of it except by boat launch. The only exception was the dam so I fished at the dam. I realize now, of course, that he was sort-of "fudging" the truth. OR he was a lying dawg basterd. something like that.
Chris

Yeah...I accessed it a few years ago from the location mentioned above...once on the lake shoreline you can walk within the high water mark as far as you like.

Just keep in mind that depending on the water level the shoreline can be a bit steep/rocky/rugged. And above the high water line it is densely wooded and you could theoretically be "trespassing".

AnglingWes
12-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Rollins was planted last week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

kightboy
12-09-2016, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=AnglingWes;1110700]Rollins was planted last week.

Yeah! Well, that can't hurt! Any dumb planter trout will eat firebait, powerbait and good old fashioned wurms!
I'll submit a full report with photos after my excursion.
Chris

kightboy
12-11-2016, 07:22 PM
Okay, here's my report as promised. With a rain-free day, two of us drove in to Freeloaders cove at 8am, parked and walked about 150 yards on a trail in the edge of the woods to a point that looked pretty good.
Only problem - nary a fish was seen.
Four rods and we tried different colors of powerbait and firebait on sliding sinker at distances from 10 feet to 50 feet from shore.
We tried nightcrawlers suspended from bobbers and inflated nightcrawlers on sliding sinkers.
Fished for 3 hours and, at the end, even tried various spinners and rattletraps for awhile. Nada. Not a single nibble.
Very calm water and we only saw one fish jump in three hours too. Was a lovely quiet day on the lake - only thing better would have been catching.
Clarity wasn't bad after all that rain- about 36" to 48".
After all this rain recently, the reservoir is completely full and it just could be that the fishes haven't adapted to the new water levels, or they were stuffed with all the food that has been washed into the lake, or they just weren't where we were, or..... (hell, i could make a list of possible reasons forever)
It was REALLY nice to see the reservoir full to the branches of the trees after all the dry years. Some photos...

kightboy
12-26-2016, 11:38 AM
Well, having a couple of hours free on Christmas Eve, my fishing buddy (son-in-law) and I tried Rollins at both Freeloaders Cove and near the Boat Ramp at Orchard Springs Campground. The Campground and all facilities are, of course closed, but you can put $8 in an envelope (honor system) and have access to the shore and the boat ramp all winter.
After all the heavy rain, it's a total mud-puddle.
We messed around with some worms and spinners but didn't really expect to hook-up-no surprise there..
You couldn't see more than about 10 inched in the water, it was super muddy. It is completely full though and should be a lot of fun in the Spring. It's a very pretty lake when it's full.
I guess that the silt will all settle out in 4 or 5 days but rain is scheduled for all next week.
Chris