PDA

View Full Version : Top shot question

Grncrestliner
03-01-2016, 05:35 AM
I use Suffix 832 on most of my spinning reels and have for a few years. I go back and forth between using a mono like CXX or Maxima for my top shots but I have also tried 3 different brands of fluorocarbon. A lot of my buddies think I am nuts for using mono at all but honestly in some applications I don't notice any difference in sensitivity. I think the mono holds up a little better when dart heading or on shakey heads when dragging in the rocky foothill lakes. I am currently using Sunline Sniper on my dropshot set ups but I am not 100% convinced it is much better than CXX. I use 8 pound line the most for top shots but do use 6 or 10 on occasion. Most of my dart head rods are Shimano Crucials and my favorite drop shot rod is a medium action Cumara . Just looking for your opinion and if any one else uses mono as a top shot material very often. By the way I have recently been experimenting with a blood knot and have gotten away from the improved Albright for now. So far I really like the blood knot.
I think I am watching too many Matt Allen videos. LOL

alucardbear
03-01-2016, 08:53 AM
Try the fg knot. It's super slim and knot strength is one of the best. Kinda hard to tie at first. I don't think it matters much with such a small length of leader. Only reason I use florocarbon. Is it better abrasion resistance.

hooks
03-01-2016, 11:41 AM
Times 2 on the FG knot

<span style="font-family:comic sans ms;"><font size="4"><span style="color:#006400;"><strong>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk

hooks
03-01-2016, 11:58 AM
This one also

<span style="font-family:comic sans ms;"><font size="4"><strong><span style="color:#000080;">
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMLa0vHZzMs

Grncrestliner
03-01-2016, 02:00 PM
Interesting knot. I really don't need to change my connection knot I just have been trying the blood knot and so far have been happy. Not any real issues with the Improved Albright either but hey if someone has a better idea I am willing to try it at least once. When I retie at home any knot is doable but on the water in the wind I tie what is easier.
As far as Fluorocarbon being more abrasion resistant that has not been my experience at all. CXX or Maxima hold up better at Oroville, Collins or Bullard's for me and that is why I use them. Right now the 8 pound Sniper is doing OK but I still think the 8 pound CXX is tougher in the rocks if I am dragging something on the bottom. I know the CXX is larger in diameter than the Sniper but I still get a lot of fish on it.

Hamachi_Kama
03-01-2016, 02:38 PM
I concur with the FG knot - it's the strongest, thinnest knot and I've used them all. a real fun one to tie, once you lock the technique, in which there are several variant of this knot. I know you said you're not interested in learning a new connection knot, but this is the ONE, no question.

I run a leader on my striper plug rigs - flouro or mono depending. Mostly for lining fish when they get close and quick and easy knot tying. It's hard to get away from once you start. I do run topshots on my offshore gear which is a neccessity.

Tony
03-02-2016, 06:06 AM
+1 on the FG knot

Grncrestliner
03-03-2016, 01:25 PM
Well I am doing a little boat cleanup today and brought my #1 darthead rod inside to watch the FG knot video and tie a new top shot on that rod with 8 pound fluoro. The main line is 10 lb. 832 that is 3 years old +-. After 3 attempts and having the leader pull free every time I went back to a knot I could tie. Not saying I am done trying the FG knot but I am done with that combination of lines. Maybe a stiffer braid or different leader material would work better. I did keep the braid as tight as possible with the rod over a chair and the other end in my mouth. Obviously there is something I am not getting but I don't think I could ever tie this knot on a boat. I can successfully tie the blood knot or one of the versions of the improved Albright without issues.

Hey some of us are just knot challenged but I can say that when on the boat I typically retie for others because they are having difficulty with the braid to fluorocarbon knots.

Grncrestliner
03-05-2016, 05:19 AM
Before I went out yesterday I tied an FG knot with 40 lb. Power Pro using a 15 lb. mono leader without an issue. The PP has no problem biting into the mono leader without slipping. Still cannot get the 832 to cinch down on Sniper fluorocarbon. It just pulls right off. I wonder if by using Ardent line conditioner frequently on my 832 if that just makes it so slick I cannot get to bite into the fluorocarbon?

The knot on the Power Pro is a nice slim knot. Goes through the guides a little smoother than my typical knots.