PDA

View Full Version : Hey Everyone. I need some help with how to use a scotty down rigger snap

jeff1259
03-06-2016, 05:01 AM
hhttp://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1084/5068/products/35529_large.gif?v=1449957128I know this is going to be a stupid question, but am at my wits end trying to figure this out. Can someone that uses these please tell me how to connect this snap( the silver snap, not black line release) to my down rigger ball. I have googled it, and cant find out how to attach it. It does not seem to be secure by just pinching it and putting it on the weight. It seems like it will just pull of the down rigger ball the first time a fish hits the lure. I am used to using cannon releases with the more self explanatory snaps.

Thanks so much for the help, and once again, sorry for a stupid question:tears_of_joy:

okie
03-06-2016, 05:30 AM
hhttp://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1084/5068/products/35529_large.gif?v=1449957128I know this is going to be a stupid question, but am at my wits end trying to figure this out. Can someone that uses these please tell me how to connect this snap( the silver snap, not black line release) to my down rigger ball. I have googled it, and cant find out how to attach it. It does not seem to be secure by just pinching it and putting it on the weight. It seems like it will just pull of the down rigger ball the first time a fish hits the lure. I am used to using cannon releases with the more self explanatory snaps.

Thanks so much for the help, and once again, sorry for a stupid question:tears_of_joy:

that silver clip hooks on to the dr wire not the ball. imho you should let your ball down about 10 ft
then clip the release on the line, that way you can put your ball to what depth you are fishing and
your will be above it. thats how we use them on pyramid, the ball is lowered to just above the bottom
and then our lures run about 5 ft off the bottom.

you may want to get a shuttlehawk to hook your line to the dr. with one of them you dont have to bring your
dr all the way back up, the hawk will return to the surface when a fish hits the bait or you pop it loose.

be safe

Grncrestliner
03-06-2016, 05:49 AM
The release in the photo is typically called a stacker. Like Okie said it is for clipping directly to the cable and not to the eye on the ball. The releases that clip to the ball have a really large snap swivel that goes on the ball eye. You can clip the stacker clip any where you want on the downrigger cable. If that is the only clip release you have you might think about clipping it close to the ball if you want to be at about the same depth as the ball. You can also clip multiple stackers at various depths on the same cable. Like Okie said some guys like to clip a few feet above the ball but if I am using a stacker clip for local trout I tend to just clip 1-2 feet above the ball. When changing lures or reconnecting the ball will stay in the water and not be swinging all over the place as you reach out to re-clip.

MKE
03-06-2016, 07:20 AM
I use stacker clips a lot of the time with a short set back and run cannon ball flashers off the ball when they are not spooked from the ball. If they're not committed then I'll go with a long set back

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

jeff1259
03-06-2016, 08:04 AM
AH! That makes sense. You should have seen me out on the lake trying to figure this out. It was a pretty funny sight. A few cuss words and back to the cannon releases I went.

It sounds like these are actually pretty neat. Now that I know how to use them, they will be even neater!

Thanks so much for the help!!!:wink:

okie
03-06-2016, 09:13 AM
AH! That makes sense. You should have seen me out on the lake trying to figure this out. It was a pretty funny sight. A few cuss words and back to the cannon releases I went.

It sounds like these are actually pretty neat. Now that I know how to use them, they will be even neater!

Thanks so much for the help!!!:wink:

shuttlehawks saves a lot of wear on the dr too.
be safe

Waterdog
03-06-2016, 10:06 AM
What everyone said is correct, that is a stacker clip. I am old school and attach my clip to the ball and use a stacker for additional lines. I can't tell from the pic how big that clip is but if it came with the dr it is probably too big for trout fishing. The ones that come with a new Scotty dr are usually large and are for salmon or saltwater. May want to look for smaller clips
where ever you attach the clip you should get a weight retriever. They make retrieving the weight way easy and you won't bang the side of the boat with the weight.
Sounds like you are new to dr fishing. One small piece of advice. Be sure your lure is slightly above the depth of the fish. If below the fish they can't see it and your success will be nada. Good luck with the downriggers.

TahoeLund
03-06-2016, 10:25 AM
From my experience with downrigging on Tahoe those clips suck. I will only use clips that have a felt like pad no rubber. I used these style clips before and if someone stuffs the line too deep you will break the line with a hard pull release. I love the stackinig clips but I cut off the clips and put other clips on them.

okie
03-06-2016, 12:50 PM
when i got dr's for my boat, i used those kind of clips until just before i sold it, never had any problems using them at pyramid or frenchmans fishing for trout, or for salmon out of moss landing. i would think those would be ok, just dont put the line all the way back in the clip.
i learned of the shuttlehawks after i sold my boat.

be safe

lund16
03-06-2016, 01:03 PM
Last year was my first time learning to troll and those clips gave me so many problems. If the fish was big enough they work, or the line would come free on the way down. My favorite was towing trout, yes it happens when the trout hits lightly and the release doesnt release. After buying every make and model on the market I found chamberlain releases and it worked the first time out and everytime since.
http://dev.downriggerrelease.com/