PDA

View Full Version : Deer Preference Points Question

kyleb
03-15-2016, 07:29 PM
If you apply for a premium zone hunt as your second choice will you still receive a preference point? or do you have to put a premium zone as your first choice in order to receive a point? I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere. Thank you in advance!

Grncrestliner
03-15-2016, 07:44 PM
Are you going to put "point only" as your first choice or some other choice? I guess I do not understand what you are asking. To my knowledge putting a premium tag (X zone) as your second choice is basically waste since they all fill with first choice applicants. Why not put a premium zone as your fist choice?

kyleb
03-15-2016, 08:51 PM
Are you going to put "point only" as your first choice or some other choice? I guess I do not understand what you are asking. To my knowledge putting a premium tag (X zone) as your second choice is basically waste since they all fill with first choice applicants. Why not put a premium zone as your fist choice?

My plan was to put an easy to draw d zone as my first choice (so i at least get a tag), and then a premium zone as my second choice (just for the preference point). But i was unsure if you can still get the preference point without a premium zone as your first choice.

BigUnInDaBoat
03-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Do your premium choice as your first, and the d zone as your second. That is the way you want to do it. Hoping for an X-12 draw this year. If not I'll tag out again in D6

BigUnInDaBoat
03-15-2016, 08:57 PM
My plan was to put an easy to draw d zone as my first choice (so i at least get a tag), and then a premium zone as my second choice (just for the preference point). But i was unsure if you can still get the preference point without a premium zone as your first choice.

You can buy a D zone over the counter, you'd be mistaken to take a d zone as a first choice.

Grncrestliner
03-16-2016, 04:34 AM
If you get your first choice in the drawing you will NOT get a preference point and you will burn any points you may have. Occasionally we decide to not try for an X zone but still want a point. We apply for a hunt that we have no chance of drawing for our first tag. We get a point and whatever our second tag choice is. If we get that 1 in a million random tag of course we would go but so far we have never drawn a late premium hunt by doing this and I am sure we never will. Always put an X tag as your first choice (unless you go point only) otherwise if you get that D tag and it is your first choice your points are all gone. Never waste points on an over the counter tag.

kyleb
03-16-2016, 07:55 AM
Got it, thank you for all the info!