PDA

View Full Version : Hi Viz Yellow or Green Line for Trout?

MtnFisher
03-28-2016, 02:44 PM
Do Hi Viz fluorescent colored fishing lines in green or yellow spook trout?

I've always chosen moss green or clear fishing lines in either monofilament or copolymer with a fluorocarbon leader loaded on my spinning gear for trout.

This year I want to try some PLine CXX in 4lb as my main line with a fluorocarbon leader for stream fishing, and was thinking the Hi Viz green colored line might help with keeping an eye on the drift?

What do the Fishsniffer boyz and girlz say? Stick with moss green or choose Hi Viz fluorescent green?

LineStretcher
03-28-2016, 02:55 PM
Clear water use aqua blue, green water use aqua green, dirty water use brown or moss green. This is what I think I read on the Shimano/Power Pro sight. You should double check it because I'm old and my memory does not serve me as well as it used to. It's in a PDF on the site.

CAL.NDN
03-28-2016, 03:26 PM
I use clear in lakes and streams and never seems to bother them. I let the cheap clear stuff attract the fish and let all that high dollar colored stuff attract the fishermen.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

LineStretcher
03-28-2016, 04:01 PM
Ha, see I am getting old. I thought he was talking about braid. I agree clear is clear no matter what the water color is.

panther
03-28-2016, 04:25 PM
I use the Stren original Clear Blue Fluorescent. I can see the line and detect light bites, but the fish seem unable to see the 4lb. line under the water.

Captain Compassion
03-28-2016, 04:35 PM
Always green. Use CXX 4 or 6# for rivers and lakes. No leader. For the bigger fish such as Pyramid I use 12# Green Triline XL. P-Line beyond 6# is a little stiff.

CC

MtnFisher
03-28-2016, 04:36 PM
I use clear in lakes and streams and never seems to bother them. I let the cheap clear stuff attract the fish and let all that high dollar colored stuff attract the fishermen.

You obviously misunderstood the crux of my question.

I've caught trout using a willow branch and cheap line but that's not my preference when there are better tools available.

And I never stated clear line bothers them.

CAL.NDN
03-28-2016, 04:55 PM
You asked what sniffers use, I told you what I use. If you don't like the way I said it I can definitely stay off your thread and not join in. Sorry if I offended you in anyway. That was not my intention. I was just saying what I use and how I see it.

CAL.NDN
03-28-2016, 05:02 PM
Green is good line and good choice. I use high viz orange for my center pin rod because green or clear is way to hard for me to see mending my line. Other than that in my opinion clear or green are the best there are. Just my .02 cents.

hooks
03-28-2016, 06:25 PM
Do Hi Viz fluorescent colored fishing lines in green or yellow spook trout?

I've always chosen moss green or clear fishing lines in either monofilament or copolymer with a fluorocarbon leader loaded on my spinning gear for trout.

This year I want to try some PLine CXX in 4lb as my main line with a fluorocarbon leader for stream fishing, and was thinking the Hi Viz green colored line might help with keeping an eye on the drift?

What do the Fishsniffer boyz and girlz say? Stick with moss green or choose Hi Viz fluorescent green?

Sounds like you want to experiment? Maybe you could do a side by side comparison? Use moss green one time and hi-viz the next time or switch them out every hour? See which is more successful and easier to use? etc. Maybe share your findings with us later on?

:smiley:

LURKER916
03-28-2016, 06:27 PM
Been using hi vis for years.
Never have had a trout, Shad, or salmon care about my hi vis line.

MtnFisher
03-28-2016, 07:45 PM
CAL.NDN,

No problem, thank you for your input.

Yes, I'm going to try some Hi-Vis I think.

I fish for trout in certain spots that have lots of white water nearby and my eyes are not what they used to be! :sulkiness:

redneckpunk
03-28-2016, 07:59 PM
I've got high vis orange on a couple of my trout rods that we use for trolling and soaking bait. We use clear leaders, but for main line I have noticed no difference in catch ratios. At one time I also ran high vis yellow on my striper reels. The high vis does help seeing the line, especially as we get older. However, I have found the high vis lines have more memory than the clear or green lines and on my spinning gear I'm changing it more often

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CAL.NDN
03-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Yea if you need to see the line it definitely helps. Like RNP said were getting older

LineStretcher
03-28-2016, 08:20 PM
Just reading and thinking. You might have a look at that PDF I mentioned earlier. I think you can still use it to get an idea. It's pretty detailed.

stefanoflo
03-28-2016, 11:52 PM
Maxima Ivory is a good vis line that looks good on top and disappears in the water/ Match that with a Maxima UG your good to go.
6LBS is good and it a very strong line .or add a 8 lBS floro leader .

LineStretcher
03-29-2016, 06:52 AM
After reading all these posts I'd have to conclude that your answer is that you can use what you want for your main line. It's really the leader that the fish might (or not ) care about.

Thinking back, I've used high vis floating pink while throwing rags into rapids chasing steelhead. That was on a bait caster and I caught fish.

Jfitalia
03-30-2016, 03:11 AM
Clear water use aqua blue, green water use aqua green, dirty water use brown or moss green. This is what I think I read on the Shimano/Power Pro sight. You should double check it because I'm old and my memory does not serve me as well as it used to. It's in a PDF on the site.

I feel you're over thinking it. P line flouro clear works in every application I've ever used. From crystal clear to muddy water

LineStretcher
03-30-2016, 08:39 AM
I feel you're over thinking it. P line flouro clear works in every application I've ever used. From crystal clear to muddy water
That post was before I realized he was not talking about braid and just needed a high vis mainline in order to see it better. P line is good stuff I've used it some but I tend to buy Suffix for my mainline and Seguar hybrid for my leader material. Just my preference, they will all catch fish.

hooks
03-30-2016, 10:51 AM
That post was before I realized he was not talking about braid and just needed a high vis mainline in order to see it better. P line is good stuff I've used it some but I tend to buy Suffix for my mainline and Seguar hybrid for my leader material. Just my preference, they will all catch fish.
I use that cheap line from Walmart. It's 1.29 for 1000yards I think. I like the way it coils on top of the water....easy to see. LOL

Just kidding guys just kidding.:rotfl2:

okie
03-30-2016, 11:00 AM
I use that cheap line from Walmart. It's 1.29 for 1000yards I think. I like the way it coils on top of the water....easy to see. LOL

Just kidding guys just kidding.:rotfl2:

maybe thats why i dont catch fish, i use that walmart line, i figured if i cant see it, it wont
bother the fish. guess i'll have to go buy new line, if it aint one thing its something else.
be safe

hooks
03-30-2016, 11:14 AM
maybe thats why i dont catch fish, i use that walmart line, i figured if i cant see it, it wont
bother the fish. guess i'll have to go buy new line, if it aint one thing its something else.
be safe

I don't know Bill, the way you have been catching fish lately I wouldn't be to quick to change.

stefanoflo
03-30-2016, 11:43 AM
be safe

see if Walmart sells Dynamite
heard that stuff always worked

okie
03-30-2016, 11:59 AM
see if Walmart sells Dynamite
heard that stuff always worked

back in ok in the 50's m80's did a wonderful job, so i've been told, dynamite tore them up
too much, also one of the old military field radios worked too, crank that and the fish would
come up on top of the water, lay on their side and head for the bank.
instead of digging for worms, take an extension cord, hook the 'hot' wire to a big nail,
drive it in the ground and them plug it to power, worms come up out of the ground
and all you have to do is pick them up.

be safe

MtnFisher
03-30-2016, 01:39 PM
I'm going to pack an extra spool for my favorite trout spinning reel.

One spool will have 4lb Pline Floroclear for slow clear conditions with little obstructions found in some lakes or small creeks. Visibility is usually not an issue in these situations.

The second spool will be spooled with Pline CXX extra strong in 4lb in Hi-Vis green. This spool will be for fishing rocky rivers or situations where abrasion resistance is needed. One inlet I know of is usually clogged with huge logjams during the spring. It usually helps if one can see their line in when fishing near white water or obstructions. This is when the Hi-Vis would be helpful.

A big plus is I can switch spools if something bad happens to my main line, easier to switch spools than have to re-spool in the field.

Been using florocarbon leaders, usually Vanish or Seaguar but am going to buy 200yds of Sunline Sniper FC just for leaders. Been reading too many good things about it.

LineStretcher
03-31-2016, 07:03 AM
That sounds like a solid plan.