PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Folsom Lake from the shore

MOBBIN
05-17-2016, 01:25 AM
Hello Sniffers,

I live in El Dorado Hills and Folsom Lake is easily accessible (Salmon Falls Bridge.) My kids and I are going to start fishing regularly and want to know what you are guys are using off the shores of Folsom. Anyone can share some tips on catching Trout, Catfish or Bass? Greatly appreciative.

Glad to be a member

Must Fish
05-17-2016, 02:06 PM
Hello Sniffers,

I live in El Dorado Hills and Folsom Lake is easily accessible (Salmon Falls Bridge.) My kids and I are going to start fishing regularly and want to know what you are guys are using off the shores of Folsom. Anyone can share some tips on catching Trout, Catfish or Bass? Greatly appreciative.

Glad to be a member

Live Bait: Nightcrawlers and Minnows can catch all 3. Crawdads good for Bass and even Catfish. Other stinky baits for Catfish.

Artificial: Senkos, plastic worms, spinner baits, crank baits all good for Bass. Try different colors and sizes and see what works. It is different day to day and throughout the year.

MOBBIN
05-17-2016, 10:50 PM
Live Bait: Nightcrawlers and Minnows can catch all 3. Crawdads good for Bass and even Catfish. Other stinky baits for Catfish.

Artificial: Senkos, plastic worms, spinner baits, crank baits all good for Bass. Try different colors and sizes and see what works. It is different day to day and throughout the year.

Thank you for this info, going to give it a shot.

MOBBIN
05-23-2016, 10:22 PM

Went Sunday. My son caught a bluegill and my daughter landed 2 catfish. We used night crawlers. First time for them catching anything on a pole and we are hooked. Thanks for the advice. Were going to try Bass fishing on lures soon.

Owlman2
05-24-2016, 10:35 AM
Went Sunday. My son caught a bluegill and my daughter landed 2 catfish. We used night crawlers. First time for them catching anything on a pole and we are hooked. Thanks for the advice. Were going to try Bass fishing on lures soon.

I used to do very well from the bank in the early spring when the water was high....just tossing plastic worms among the flooded trees and vegetation....

MOBBIN
05-24-2016, 09:43 PM
I used to do very well from the bank in the early spring when the water was high....just tossing plastic worms among the flooded trees and vegetation....

The water is high right now and see plenty of submerged trees and bushes. Plan on going this weekend and will post a pic if I land something. You guys know what is the preferred plastic color out here? I will be fishing 7AM-Noon

nayr
05-26-2016, 05:50 PM
I used to walk from the parking lot there near salmon falls bridge and just try to sight fish any bass i could spot. If the fish would spook I would move on and try it again on my walk back to the car. Same routine from the dam side. Good stuff getting your kids into some fish.

As for colors, i liked red or purple plastic worms with a chartreuse tipped tail. Fished weightless or with 1 or 2 splitshotts when necessary.

Taribor
06-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Hello Sniffers,

Glad to be a member

From Brown's ravine boat dock I see guys all the time shore fishing for bass right near the dock there are some huge fish swimming around the docks, but not sure what they are. My kids have a blast seeing them though.

How old are your kids? I used to kayak from salmon falls bridge up river and catch rainbows all morning on a rappala (rainbow and brown trout pattern), you can hike it as well along the rocks, but not a good hike for small kids due to the huge rocks. I used to catch 'bows, bass, and squaw fish every trip out. Be VERY careful though, there is a little sand bar a few hundred yards up and back when I thought I was smarter than everyone else, I waded out to it (again that part is not for kids due to the current) and had a great time.......until I realized they released water from the damn up river for the boat guides and I damn near had to call 911.

NORCAL6
06-09-2016, 12:08 PM
I used to walk the shoreline casting a Blue & Silver Ratl Trap. One evening I caught 2 nice trout and 3 bass. Fun stuff.

GotSick
06-27-2016, 02:53 PM
I just went to Folsom yesterday and got access through the RattleSnake Bar area and Granite Bay entrance. When you fish from salmon falls do you need to pay for parking or are you able to just pull up on park and hike down?

Thanks in advance, if I get a reply soon enough I might try that out this evening.

MOBBIN
06-29-2016, 10:24 PM
I just went to Folsom yesterday and got access through the RattleSnake Bar area and Granite Bay entrance. When you fish from salmon falls do you need to pay for parking or are you able to just pull up on park and hike down?

Thanks in advance, if I get a reply soon enough I might try that out this evening.

Yes, there is self pay station at both parking on both sides of the bridge. If you want to park in front of the gate like most mountain bikers, you can take a short hike down to the launch. I spoke to the ranger there multiple of times and they said they really don't enforce the parking fees late in the day. Each to their own tho.

bigfin
07-01-2016, 05:37 PM
From Brown's ravine boat dock I see guys all the time shore fishing for bass right near the dock there are some huge fish swimming around the docks, but not sure what they are. My kids have a blast seeing them though.

How old are your kids? I used to kayak from salmon falls bridge up river and catch rainbows all morning on a rappala (rainbow and brown trout pattern), you can hike it as well along the rocks, but not a good hike for small kids due to the huge rocks. I used to catch 'bows, bass, and squaw fish every trip out. Be VERY careful though, there is a little sand bar a few hundred yards up and back when I thought I was smarter than everyone else, I waded out to it (again that part is not for kids due to the current) and had a great time.......until I realized they released water from the damn up river for the boat guides and I damn near had to call 911.

LOL you walked out to that!!! Its quite the hike first time I ever went there the guy I was with kept saying stay up high on the rocks its easier , hell too when you fall and I did its along ways down hurt like hell !!! ,after that I found my own way as low as possible , that little sandbar has lots of action if they are there!!!! Tightlines BF :starrolling5ez:

bigfin
07-01-2016, 05:47 PM
Yes, there is self pay station at both parking on both sides of the bridge. If you want to park in front of the gate like most mountain bikers, you can take a short hike down to the launch. I spoke to the ranger there multiple of times and they said they really don't enforce the parking fees late in the day. Each to their own tho.

Mobbin - you can take the kids down to Falcon Crest its a one lane road going in , then just stay to the left fish the area where the main body meets the sweet water channel theres usually some bouys (mph) around there. Spring & Winter are usually pretty good there and its not too far for the kids its a flat walk Powerbait , Crawlers , kastmasters Tightlines BF

GotSick
07-05-2016, 08:36 PM
Mobbin - you can take the kids down to Falcon Crest its a one lane road going in , then just stay to the left fish the area where the main body meets the sweet water channel theres usually some bouys (mph) around there. Spring & Winter are usually pretty good there and its not too far for the kids its a flat walk Powerbait , Crawlers , kastmasters Tightlines BF

I will have to try this out one of these days. Bring the family over there.

I didn't know I could drive out there. I saw the road on google maps but I was afraid to try the road out, I thought it was private property or something.

MOBBIN
07-06-2016, 01:54 AM

Thanks for this tip. I actually got a chance to park in front of what I believe is Sweet water Trail. Stayed on the left side and found a small channel. This was actually my 2nd time there and the water started to get low. We hiked the banks and Tried senkos and robos. Nothing, used crappie jigs and landed numerous of small blue gill. My son had a blast just catching something. Damn Sacramento heat was getting the best of us.

I will have to check out Falcon Crest. I live in Serrano BTW. If you have any suggestions with any other fishing holes in my area. I would greatly appreciate it. We recently got a GoPro..... Were HOOKED!!!

MOBBIN
07-06-2016, 01:58 AM

My kids are 6 and 9 and very brave. Heartache makers for sure! Brown Ravine? Damn fees always stir me away from the place. But I think I will give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.

bigfin
07-06-2016, 10:40 AM

Yeah it looks like a private road cause there are driveways off it but it is not , its posted 5mph and at the bottom it goes into a fork with the parking lot(dirt) on the right . Its pay as you go but like someone else said they don't enforce it that much at least not yet I cringe everytime they up the fees at folsom . Tightines BF