PDA

View Full Version : Delta Crabs??

MyBad
05-18-2016, 06:20 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this, so mods please relocate this, to the appropriate category.

We have our boat at a marina right at the Antioch bridge. I keep a small fish holding tank in the water to keep bait fish.

Today we pulled the box up, and had a hitchhiker on the trap rope. A tiny quarter size crab.

salmonid
05-18-2016, 06:35 PM
Took you up on the offer to move it, so moved to general freshwater Discussion.

I wonder if it's a Chinese Mitten crab? If so looks like you are encouraged to report it to CDFW as it's an invasive species. https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Invasives/Species/Mitten-Crab

I am working on a crab project with a UCD researcher and will inquire about it with him.

Thanks for posting,

MyBad
05-18-2016, 07:14 PM
Took you up on the offer to move it, so moved to general freshwater Discussion.

I wonder if it's a Chinese Mitten crab? If so looks like you are encouraged to report it to CDFW as it's an invasive species. https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Invasives/Species/Mitten-Crab

I am working on a crab project with a UCD researcher and will inquire about it with him.

Thanks for posting,

Thank you very much...reported as soon we pulled it up.

BIG_ONE
05-18-2016, 07:56 PM
Looks like the infamous mitten crab! Holy cow...haven't seen one around in ages!

CDK
05-19-2016, 05:08 AM
It is not a mitten crab. I will bet on it being a member of the shore crab family. Those little buggers you see skittering on the rocks.

TexWalker
05-19-2016, 08:55 AM
CDK is correct, it isnt a mitten crab. No fuzz on its claws. Looks like one of the half dozen or so different types of crabs you see on the rocks

BIG_ONE
05-22-2016, 02:07 AM
Mitten crab do not have hair on their claws all the time. Based on the white tip of the pincers and the dark muddy coloration, I'm calling it a mitten crab. Mitten crab can be either round or oval in body shape as well. However, it can also belong to one of those tiny shore crab, but the looks on that crab is pretty much identical to a juvenile mitten crab from my memory. Source - personal experience.