PDA

View Full Version : gonna start posting video of boat launches, need suggestions

LONO100
05-26-2016, 07:43 AM
Hi all, I work for a company that is working on the self driving car for the three german automakers and we just designed a module that needs 80+ hours of on the road testing before it can reach our next test phase. the driving can be anywhere, but mostly freeway/highway, and i will be leaving each morning from the Berkeley area. since i am always asking forum members for info about various boat launches i havent been to on the dock's conditions, parking lot, shady factor, machine, or cash envelope drop off etc, i have decided to use this 80 hours of random driving i have to do and plan routes to various boat launches i have not yet visited as well as some that i have.

here's is where i hope some fellow sniffers can help me along: i plan to bring my gopro camera along for every ride, shoot some quick video of each boat launch, the type of payment system that is set up, the parking lot, and other quick shots of the each launch, and then post them on youtube so that anybody who was wondering about visiting a new boat launch can view the video and judge for themselves whether it is a launch they want to use.

this probably wont be very helpful to some of the more experienced boaters on the forum, but i myself having only been a boat owner for less than 4 years am always wondering about new boat launches, the conditions of the dock, the payment systems, the parking, and the sketchiness of the area. i hope that the videos can give other boaters a better picture of a boat launch that might be a long haul for them, so they can see if it it a place might think is worth visiting.

so if anyone out there has any suggestions for a launch they would like to see some video of, let me know and i will see if i can shoot it.

here are the first few i plan to shoot:

berkeley marina
richmond marina
beldens landing
suisun marina
brannan island
hogback
new hope
marintez marina

let me know of any you want to see video of, and i will see if i can fit it in. i know some of the ones that i frequent may be unknown to others and vice versa, so any launch suggestion will help. thanks everyone.

Skypig
05-26-2016, 07:59 AM
Awesome idea! That would be a great service to help folks out. You already have a bunch there that I don't frequent since I live northeast of Sacramento. I go to places like Verona, Elk Horn, Miller, Stan's Yolo Marina, Garcia, and Arrowhead Harbor (in order from upstream to downstream). There is another one 15-20 minutes south of Brannon (cannot remember the name), since you mentioned Brannon.
There is also B&W on the Moke. Heck, there are scads of them. I hope you can get all of them.

Rockit73
05-26-2016, 08:25 AM
B&W, Korths and Eddo's

AnglingWes
05-26-2016, 10:25 AM
Korth's Pirates. Best F'd up launch on the North side of D. You could do your 80 hours and then some just on the delta loop. Cool idea!!!

LONO100
05-26-2016, 01:39 PM
ill let this thread fill up with a few more suggestions, and since i cant get to them all, the ones that get the most mentions will be the ones i plan with priority. i will start tomorrow with the ones nearby my shop at work which is the berkeley and richmond marinas, and then head east to the martinez marina. from there i could do suisun, beldens landing and then get into the east delta.

i am already excited, in just the few responses, there are a couple that i have never even heard of, so im itching to look it up and put it on my route.

hopefully more people throw out suggestions tonight and tomorrow. thanks again everyone.

RiverRon
05-26-2016, 05:11 PM
If you haven't already seen this, here is a link to a downloadable Delta map that lists most launches in that area:

http://www.dbw.ca.gov/PDF/CleanGreen/DeltaMap-Boating.pdf

LONO100
05-26-2016, 06:10 PM
thanks riverron, the link is broken, but i think i know the map you are talking about. i would like to get some input from forum members on the boat ramps they would like to see most. i hope to at least get 10-12 ramps during my trek.

salmonid
05-26-2016, 06:43 PM
Good idea, LONO!

Can you check out Arrowhead marina on Miner slough? Heard some rumors about it being a little bit sketchy.

Sounds like you have a cool job!

nayr
05-26-2016, 07:50 PM
Cool idea
Glad your going to the richmond launch. It is a really nice ramp.

salmonid
05-26-2016, 07:52 PM
Cool idea
Glad your going to the richmond launch. It is a really nice ramp.

Richmond is a great place to launch from, the area surrounding it seems depressed, but once you are there it's all good.

LONO100
05-26-2016, 07:56 PM
i will add arrowhead to the list! and yes, my job is pretty cool. im a blessed guy.

steph281086
05-27-2016, 05:31 AM
If you haven't already seen this, here is a link to a downloadable Delta map that lists most launches in that area:

http://www.dbw.ca.gov/PDF/CleanGreen/DeltaMap-Boating.pdf

Wow that's pretty cool. never seen this... Thanks RiverRon.

Here is the "fixed" link: DeltaMap-Boating (http://www.dbw.ca.gov/PDF/CleanGreen/DeltaMap-Boating.pdf)

EDIT: Actually, why the heck is the Brannan island boat launch not on there?!?!? I guess it's not a "marina".

fishwrong2
05-27-2016, 08:21 AM
If you're looking to get a little farther way, there are some interesting ones heading up the coast.

Ramp in Sausalito at the Coast Guard station is a place I've never been to, but read about. Miller Boat Launch and Lawson's landing (beach launch from the sand) in Tomales Bay are cool and interesting. Two launches in Bodega Bay. There is supposed to be a beach launch at Timber Cove, but haven't been there myself. There is a cool hoist your boat off the pier set up at Point Arena.

Speaking of unusual launches, Grimes on the Sacramento river between Knights Landing and Colusa has a sling and gin-pole setup that's unique, and Lovey's near Meridian has a sling hoist, rail mounted trolley launch. It don't think it's been in use in years, but it was still there a few years back.

Those may not be what you're looking for, but they're interesting and not your usual ramps.

fishwrong2
05-27-2016, 08:31 AM
Another couple of unusual boating operations. One is the lock on Montezuma Slough. It's nothing overly exciting, but a unique experience if you've never done it. Also a heck of a long way away, but interesting is the beach launch by tractor at Shelter Cove and Rail Launch at Trinidad. Again, probably not what you're looking for, but I think they're interesting places for people who are in to boating.

nayr
05-27-2016, 10:55 AM
If you're looking to get a little farther way, there are some interesting ones heading up the coast.

Ramp in Sausalito at the Coast Guard station is a place I've never been to, but read about

That ramp has been roped off the last few times i fished the jetty. For the longest it was always open to use at your own risk. No ramp at low tide and no dock. I have only seen kayaks putting in there. A nice little spot for that though.

LONO100
05-27-2016, 11:26 AM

Ramp in Sausalito at the Coast Guard station is a place I've never been to, but read about. Miller Boat Launch and Lawson's landing (beach launch from the sand) in Tomales Bay are cool and interesting. Two launches in Bodega Bay. There is supposed to be a beach launch at Timber Cove, but haven't been there myself. There is a cool hoist your boat off the pier set up at Point Arena.

Speaking of unusual launches, Grimes on the Sacramento river between Knights Landing and Colusa has a sling and gin-pole setup that's unique, and Lovey's near Meridian has a sling hoist, rail mounted trolley launch. It don't think it's been in use in years, but it was still there a few years back.

Those may not be what you're looking for, but they're interesting and not your usual ramps.

thanks for the suggestions, i will definitely look into these ramps, and if i can fit them into my routes, i will get some footage.

LONO100
05-27-2016, 11:29 AM
early this morning was my first attempt at catching some footage. i didnt want to venture too far since im trying to leave work early for the weekend, but i did manage to shoot film at berkeley, martinez and benicia public marina. i will throw up links as soon as i get them uploaded to youtube.

LONO100
05-27-2016, 05:44 PM
here's the first video! berkeley marina public boat launch. i put some details in the video description on pricing and other stuff. should i start a separate thread for all of these videos?

berkeley marina public boat launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ_31m68gcc&feature=youtu.be

JB14
05-27-2016, 05:49 PM
Do not buy bait @ K dock. Make the trip to SF.

LONO100
05-27-2016, 06:50 PM
Do not buy bait @ K dock. Make the trip to SF.

yup! pretty much.

salmonid
05-27-2016, 06:57 PM
should i start a separate thread for all of these videos?

I think that's a good idea, LONO. Thanks for doing this,

LONO100
05-27-2016, 07:04 PM
here's martinez marina and public boat launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VwV8ebrUoc

LONO100
05-27-2016, 09:14 PM
Just created a thread that I will post all of the video links. Please keep the suggestions coming, name anything you would like to see and hopefully I can get some video of it. I just realized I may be doing a little more driving than 80 hours in the next few months so hopefully I can get a lot of footage.

mrmike130s
05-28-2016, 09:18 PM
thanks for the suggestions, i will definitely look into these ramps, and if i can fit them into my routes, i will get some footage.
Yes, rails at Trinidad,Ca. Humbolt area is beautiful.

Tracy Oasis at Tracy Blvd. On Grantline, has elevator to launch.

Haven't been for 20 years. Back to water skiing days. But Orwood had bleachers at the ramp to watch the ramp antics.

Rockit73
05-29-2016, 06:36 AM
There's also an elevator at the Boat House Marina in Locke (Walnut Grove)
He will do boats to about 21'-22'
http://www.boathouse-marina.com/

Magnetwheel
06-01-2016, 03:30 PM
I am always looking on the west side of the bay. Since they closed the launch at Sausalito the only other choice I am aware of is Tiburon. The launch at Fort Mason works and is open but as mentioned earlier no dock and DO NOT attempt a low tide retrieval. The concrete ramp falls off about three feet if you let your trailer roll back too far, but its free.

LONO100
06-06-2016, 01:55 PM
today i was able to test drive and i made it out to the isleton/walnut grove area. i was able to film vierra's and hogback island. i will post links of the videos as soon as i can get them uploaded to youtube.

on wednesday i plan to head back to loch lomond, and head down to sausalito to get some footage of the launches there.

herculesboat
07-13-2016, 07:38 AM
I am always looking on the west side of the bay. Since they closed the launch at Sausalito the only other choice I am aware of is Tiburon. The launch at Fort Mason works and is open but as mentioned earlier no dock and DO NOT attempt a low tide retrieval. The concrete ramp falls off about three feet if you let your trailer roll back too far, but its free.
you have nice story, I wish as you doing