PDA

View Full Version : blank selection

Nick145
06-14-2016, 06:03 PM
howdy my fellow sniffers.

i am taking on a new project and i would like some advice. i already have a plan b and c if plan a does not work out.

i need a pair of rod blanks that i can have a buddy of mine build for me.

i need a 5'6" L or ML action rod with a Slow or Parabolic bend. probably somewhere in the 4-10 line class probably 1/8-3/8 or 1/2 oz lure wt.

i know thats odly specific but i know what i want. i have spent a lot of time looking for this rod and i come up short every time so i figured i would just have one built.

i really love my okuma sst kokanee rods so id like a blank that was similar if at all possible. if you guys know a manufactuer that makes oldschool solid fiberglass blanks i would be all over that.

i emailed okuma and they said they wouldnt sell me a blank however they would bring it up to another department for future ideas. they also recommended i buy two spinning rods from them and do what i planned to do. (go figure a company wants me to give them my money)

plan b is to buy two spinning rods that match what im looking for and strip them down rotate the blank until it is in the spline is in the proper position to be a casting rod and rebuild it. because lets face it there are tons of options when it comes to spinning rods like what im looking for.

i really dont want to spend too much on the blanks but if i have to to get what i want i will.

thanks in advanced,
Nick145

LineStretcher
06-15-2016, 07:48 AM
howdy my fellow sniffers.

i am taking on a new project and i would like some advice. i already have a plan b and c if plan a does not work out.

i need a pair of rod blanks that i can have a buddy of mine build for me.

i need a 5'6" L or ML action rod with a Slow or Parabolic bend. probably somewhere in the 4-10 line class probably 1/8-3/8 or 1/2 oz lure wt.

i know thats odly specific but i know what i want. i have spent a lot of time looking for this rod and i come up short every time so i figured i would just have one built.

i really love my okuma sst kokanee rods so id like a blank that was similar if at all possible. if you guys know a manufactuer that makes oldschool solid fiberglass blanks i would be all over that.

i emailed okuma and they said they wouldnt sell me a blank however they would bring it up to another department for future ideas. they also recommended i buy two spinning rods from them and do what i planned to do. (go figure a company wants me to give them my money)

plan b is to buy two spinning rods that match what im looking for and strip them down rotate the blank until it is in the spline is in the proper position to be a casting rod and rebuild it. because lets face it there are tons of options when it comes to spinning rods like what im looking for.

i really dont want to spend too much on the blanks but if i have to to get what i want i will.

thanks in advanced,
Nick145

I think I know what and why you're looking for a rod like this but it's 180 out from what you're going to find. The true master of this is Gary Loomis. He is open to questions so I'd shoot him an email at info@northforkcomposites.com. He's doing some exciting new work with Linens and may be able to assist you in your quest.

Grncrestliner
06-15-2016, 08:04 AM
I built my trolling rods on fly rod blanks. Some of the big name builders do the same thing like my Jarrod Johnson kokanee rods are built on 3 weight fly rod blanks. My reasons were different than yours I was looking for really long rods to troll with and you are looking for shorter rods. It is not uncommon to purchase a blank and modify it by cutting the butt end or the tip. To keep it light I would shorten the butt end but that depends on the action you want. I have also changed the guides and grips on spinning rods to make them baitcasters and I found that the cheaper factory rods might not have the correct spine orientation any way so turning one of them over then made the spine correct. Just something to think about because if you can find something really close I think you could modify it.

Nick145
06-15-2016, 08:51 AM
I think I know what and why you're looking for a rod like this but it's 180 out from what you're going to find. The true master of this is Gary Loomis. He is open to questions so I'd shoot him an email at info@northforkcomposites.com. He's doing some exciting new work with Linens and may be able to assist you in your quest.

thanks ill do that.

I built my trolling rods on fly rod blanks. Some of the big name builders do the same thing like my Jarrod Johnson kokanee rods are built on 3 weight fly rod blanks. My reasons were different than yours I was looking for really long rods to troll with and you are looking for shorter rods. It is not uncommon to purchase a blank and modify it by cutting the butt end or the tip. To keep it light I would shorten the butt end but that depends on the action you want. I have also changed the guides and grips on spinning rods to make them baitcasters and I found that the cheaper factory rods might not have the correct spine orientation any way so turning one of them over then made the spine correct. Just something to think about because if you can find something really close I think you could modify it.

i actually own a few okuma sst kokanee rods. i love them. theyre sensitive enough to detect the light bite of a 10" trout and sturdy enough to handle a 6.10lb trout, and im sure it could even handle bigger fish.

i honetsly like them better than my st croix rods.

thats plan b. id prefer not to have to strip down two spinning rods and convert them, but as time goes on it seems more and more likely what i am going to have to do.

Line Stretcher
06-15-2016, 01:06 PM
If you don't get a response at the previous address try garyloomis.com

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ghostfish_slayer
06-25-2016, 04:44 PM
maybe SP661-2 rx6 rod from batson.. or even a
SB720

ghostfish_slayer
06-25-2016, 05:05 PM
the rx6 is very parabolic,,,moderate. 33 million modulus... i would say very close to those old school usa graphite rods,, kind of like those old boron rods in the way they bend/feel.. pretty close to a glass rod feel but lighter more sensitive..except for they are made in china... the rx6 is one of my very favorite rods to fish hardware for steelhead i can feel the thump of a spoon or f-7 flatfish way down deep and when a fish stops it... i feel it instantly.. not like the buzzing vibrations i feel with the newer higher modulus rods... it has tremendous bend and absorbs violent head shakes like no tomorrow..