PDA

View Full Version : Natomas Backwater Channels

Mr.Fletcher
07-04-2016, 01:03 AM
hey all!

was wondering if anyone here has some experience fishing the channels that run off lake natomas, near the dam on the north side? went a couple times, once at night for cats- nada, and once in a float tube during the morning- 1 strike on a spinnerbait, but again nada. there are a lot of splashes at night, particularly in one pool I came across, but I couldn't get a lick so I assume they were carp.

any guidance you might share would be appreciated! it looks so fishy, it's killin me!

thanks all, good luck out there!

J_W
07-05-2016, 08:20 AM
I grew up in that area and use to fish there...20 years ago now. Like you were thinking, lots of carp this time of year. We did catch bass and pan fish in the Spring time but not this time of year.

J W

Mr.Fletcher
07-05-2016, 09:27 AM
I grew up in that area and use to fish there...20 years ago now. Like you were thinking, lots of carp this time of year. We did catch bass and pan fish in the Spring time but not this time of year.

J W

thanks jw. as cold as the main lake is, I was hoping the area might be a sweet little feeding zone for largemouth. there certainly is an abundance of cover. I spoke with a fella who stated his dad caught a big cat outta there- maybe 10lbs- but as in your case, that was 20 years ago. (sigh) it's worth a few more attempts, I guess.

thanks again.

kromebrite
07-05-2016, 02:15 PM
I too grew up just above the lake. I was more of a trout fisherman as they used to stock it regularly.
There are bass. There used to be a ton of bluegill but I don't see many anymore. Growing up, the access was far more difficult. There was not a bike trail( the trails were all dirt and fairly rugged) or the population so the pressure was minimal. Of course, the carp are there. I went on a hike recently, and I had a visual on a good number of small and medium size bass. May be worth a shot, but I bet they are picky. My buddies used to catch big cats at night, but that was, oh, 35 years ago, LOL.

Mr.Fletcher
07-05-2016, 05:34 PM
thank you krome.
every little tidbit helps. it sure seems that everyone ive spoken with about it has the same disclaimer: "........but that was a long time ago".
haha! well, now the challenge has been issued. it looks like I need to dedicate a bit of effort into providing some current info on the place.

I agree that any fish of size are most likely easily spooked. it's fairly shallow and gin clear, but I haven't seen a lot of evidence it's being fished much. so far, I've been the only person practicing his casting out there. heh, well.... it beats the hell outta golf!

thanks again. i'll post after any trip i make.

kromebrite
07-19-2016, 11:10 AM
Anything?

Jay_R
07-26-2016, 01:17 PM
There are some big LMB in Natoma and they will move back in those channels in the spring for the spawn. Some will also be back in there even this time of year, although a most tend to move more into the main body/deeper water post spawn.
On the main body fish the weed lines for LMB and a few Crappie now and then. Paddle board and a flipping stick...
What you are seeing splashing are carp and sucker. Tons of both in there.

The water fluctuates by feet daily depending on power gen. needs from Folsom so it can be tough to find the bite, almost like trying to time the Delta tides.
MONSTER rainbows in there too, that are in various parts of the main body of the lake depending on the time of year.
Not a lot of fish, but there is some good quality in there.

thunderouslovely42
09-28-2016, 07:31 AM
Really I couldn't find anything there like