PDA

View Full Version : The Stan past Clark's fork

sarahpee
07-12-2016, 11:54 AM
After the 4th of July, spent a few days fishing the Stan. Of course took the time to go to the lake (pinecrest) which was nearly full and as crowded as Santa Cruz.....literally packed elbow to elbow. Temps were into the mid 80's, lows 50's. Stopped & checked out donnells overlook, I understand from some locals that somebody got into donnells & destroyed a lot of the boats that peeps hav chained to trees etc., and apparently forest service put more boulders on the upper access road further limiting access from what little there was.....anyway donnells looked nice & full, but not looking as deep blue as it usually does, I guess from all the runoff flowing into the lake.

So on to the river, higher than normal flows, but still fishable. Clarity was abt half of normal. I'm not a big fan of planter trout, but fish were scatterd at best. I used lures not to hook the trout too deeply cause I was gonna release them, and I absolutely hate hooking a young native trout deeply in the throat, for surely it's going to die. Final totals caught 2 Pan size planters abt 12-13 inches....and 8 7-9inch native fish, all released to fight another day, so nothing of size, but it seems the river is getting more resident fish, as 3/4 of the small ones I caught were browns. Fished near the campgrounds, and up river from the bridge at Clark's fork. I've never done well on Clark's fork itself, so didn't even try it, but it seemed to have the regular contingent of fishermen up & down every inch of the banks.

I'm sure the river was pounded with the normal holiday fishers, but I tried anyway, even though I knew the fish had everything including the kitchen sink tossed at them over the previous holiday weekend...did Better than I thought I would.

MtnFisher
07-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Thank you for the report! The Stanislaus does have some huge well educated browns. They are in those deep holes in the gorge and other difficult to access areas. Best time to target the larger browns would be in the fall when they wander the river for spawning. A friend hooked a huge one last year but it broke off as it surfaced and rolled in typical huge brown fashion. He got a good look at the fish and he stated it was a big brown.

stefanoflo
07-18-2016, 09:44 PM
Thank you for the report! The Stanislaus does have some huge well educated browns. They are in those deep holes in the gorge and other difficult to access areas. Best time to target the larger browns would be in the fall when they wander the river for spawning. A friend hooked a huge one last year but it broke off as it surfaced and rolled in typical huge brown fashion. He got a good look at the fish and he stated it was a big brown.

and they follow Kokanee when they come up river to spawn as well. they eat the eggs laid and might even down a kokanee if tempted.

BigUnInDaBoat
07-19-2016, 10:04 AM
and they follow Kokanee when they come up river to spawn as well. they eat the eggs laid and might even down a kokanee if tempted.

Kokes can't get above Camp 9 on Melones.

stefanoflo
07-19-2016, 12:32 PM
Kokes can't get above Camp 9 on Melones.

really??
i`ve seen then in Camp nine and slightly over the green bridge there, out side that the falls are to large for them.