PDA

View Full Version : goldman sachs,basspro converging to buy Cabelas

stefanoflo
07-21-2016, 04:32 PM
can this hurt the fishing and hunting lovers???

http://fishingtackleretailer.com/goldman-sachs-bass-pro-converging-buy-cabelas

whose going to compete and keep prices low???
or can this be a new Walmart type store
to keep prices low???

redneckpunk
07-21-2016, 11:07 PM
I don't like it. I want to go to a tackle shop that prides itself in carrying a wide variety of manufacturers and not being so focused on their own brand. It's becoming harder and harder to find anything at their stores that isn't BPS. And when you do, they have limited quantity, limited sizes, limited colors, limited everything. While Cabelas has their name brand they never seemed to push it as much while alienating others.

Add to this, my disappointment in the Rocklin store that seems nothing more than a small advertisement for the brand. Small, wasted space, nothing impressive and a true letdown

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stefanoflo
07-22-2016, 08:47 AM
i feel the same . When i need fishing anything. I google it and maybe look at Gander Mountain or Sportco and Fish USA, seems you can find deals as well beside the 2 big shots , Granted Cabelas carries things I can`t find at the other stores I mentioned. They will be missed.. Good Old days are gone and only the memories live on

Tifoso
07-22-2016, 09:23 AM
Dang it. :(

Really like Cabela's. The others not so much.:thumbdown:

TexWalker
07-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Do what I do and buy online.

Plug-n-Jug
07-22-2016, 02:26 PM
That sucks big time! I would rather drive up to Boarder Town than go to Rocklin!

Waterdog
07-23-2016, 07:08 AM
This has been in the works for awhile. No one knows how this will affect the merchandise or the prices. Whether Cabelas and BPS or will stay separate entities or, combine into one super store, again no one knows.
I have been been a huge fan of Cabelas for over 25 years. I have a half a garage full of hunting and camping stuff and I'd estimate 90% I got from Cabelas. My fishing stuff probably 50% is from Cabelas. I have one closet stuffed with cameo hunting clothes and almost 100% is from Cabelas.
When a large financial Corp. takes over another company it's all about the bottom line, it's about maximum profits. That in itself is not a bad thing. I worked in the corporate world 40 years and understand that well. When these take overs or mergers happen the company often changes over time to something completely different. So for example over time this new company may morph to for example a store that mostly sells sports equipment like golf equipment, soccer stuff, basketballs' sports apparel etc. and not so much outdoor hunting, fishing etc. no one knows but I personally do not have a good feeling about this.

Owlman2
07-23-2016, 09:04 AM
I have been unimpressed with the Rocklin BPS as well....

For actual fishing supplies I find Fisherman's Warehouse to be by far the best place in the area....at least for the types of things I buy.

Kaban12
07-23-2016, 09:52 AM
I have been unimpressed with the Rocklin BPS as well....

For actual fishing supplies I find Fisherman's Warehouse to be by far the best place in the area....at least for the types of things I buy.

+1

bass pro shops or sportsmans warehouse never has what I need.
Dont they know what the target audience is? Who actually buys **** from there?

fishermans warehouse and even wild sports has the stuff I need
and when not. Then I order stuff from cabelas. All my rods and reels, waders, camping stuff is from cabelas.

dsa2780
07-23-2016, 11:28 AM
Agree, BPS doesn't provide a lot for the fisheries in this area. And their name brand stuff does outnumber everything else.

Dicks Sporting Goods actually has a pretty good selection of bass/striper stuff, but I've only been into the one in stockton. They had a lot of Savage Gear, Okuma and Megabass products which I thought was pretty cool.

Everything else, I shop at the local Freeport baitshops, preferably Romeo's, they have a great selection of gear not to mention all of the local knowledge you get.

Swimbaitcity or tacklewarehouse meet all of my other needs.

CRABBY
07-23-2016, 01:11 PM
Cabelas an BPS usually price most things at full retail,house brand stuff is usually sale priced.BPS in rocklin has an OK gun an acc's section,never been anywhere else in the store so it works for me,an keeps me out of crapamento !!! :eek:

stefanoflo
07-24-2016, 08:30 AM
im sure there will have to be a Name change correct / maybe like
Cabasses or even Basselas
I already don`t like it!!!

stefanoflo
07-26-2016, 10:25 PM
Agree, BPS doesn't provide a lot for the fisheries in this area. And their name brand stuff does outnumber everything else.

Dicks Sporting Goods actually has a pretty good selection of bass/striper stuff, but I've only been into the one in stockton. They had a lot of Savage Gear, Okuma and Megabass products which I thought was pretty cool.

Everything else, I shop at the local Freeport baitshops, preferably Romeo's, they have a great selection of gear not to mention all of the local knowledge you get.

Swimbaitcity or tacklewarehouse meet all of my other needs.

and lets not forget the small business owner types like fisherman's warehouse that I like in Manteca and Sacramento. when you ask any person that works at a Bass pro shop any type of question . they give you that look as if your English language sounded strange.they have no idea what you said or even try to say . give me a fisherman's IQ with knowledge of product and sales than a worker with no knowledge of anything about fishing .