PDA

View Full Version : Who do you call

lund16
08-04-2016, 05:35 PM
Your on the Sac river near Sacramento and your boat breaks down, you throw an anchor, grab your phone. Who do you call to get towed in???

redneckpunk
08-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Depends on what friends or fellow sniffers are out there. But in reality, your best bet is to flag down another boater and ask for a tow. May cost you a few $$$ depending on the persons character. You may be able to get vessel assist from Coast Guard Auxiliary if they have a boat on the water locally but can't count on it. I do not believe Tow Boat U.S. Has Anything from Sac out to the bay anymore. That's why it's good to have something(s) you can wave to attract attention of other boaters

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

salmonid
08-04-2016, 06:03 PM
Kicker motor oars (if you go upstream).

lund16
08-04-2016, 06:08 PM
I searched for 2 hrs and found nothing in sac, the nearest is in the delta and their limited. I've only had my boat a short time but already towed 2 boats in after watching them get ignored by bigger boats. Can we start our own list for the valley?

lund16
08-04-2016, 06:11 PM
Kicker motor oars (if you go upstream).

Brand new 55lb minn kota already, at my age the oars are for looks.

salmonid
08-04-2016, 06:13 PM
I think you can call the Sheriff and they will come get you.

AnglingWes
08-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Call rnp.

Waterdog
08-04-2016, 06:27 PM
In addition to trolling that is why I have a kicker. It may take awhile but I always know i can get back to where I launched or some place I could have someone meet me.
Actually your best bet if you don't have a kicker is to flag someone down. Most boaters are good about assisting their fellow boaters. I have never passed by someone without stopping who needed assistance.
The problem is certain times of the year like winter December you ain't going to see anyone to tow you. My motor wouldnt start one time in Dec.as it was getting dark in the delta. There was no one else out there. My kicker got me back otherwise it would have been a miserable rainy night in the delta.
Another time also in December at dark I came across 2 guys in a 14' alum boat who were lost, wet and cold. I towed them about 5 miles to their launch point. Driving back in the dark a light fog rolled in. Thankfully I had gps and got back safe.
Get a kicker, you will be happy you did.

LineStretcher
08-04-2016, 06:50 PM
The first thing you do is join Boat US. If you break down, you call the number they give you and they'll find someone to tow you in. I've been a member for several years now.

redneckpunk
08-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Call rnp.

Like I said, will cost you $$$$.....or expensive fishing gear

CAL.NDN
08-04-2016, 07:10 PM
Like I said, will cost you $$$$.....or expensive fishing gear
Your all talk I know you would do it for free.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

AnglingWes
08-04-2016, 08:01 PM
Your all talk I know you would do it for free.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

He might, but sporty is a different story.

sportygirl
08-04-2016, 09:15 PM
He might, but sporty is a different story.

Beer!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sportygirl
08-04-2016, 09:19 PM
After sitting on a holiday weekend kicker and big motor dying on us...(And no beer [emoji30]) had about 9 boats go by just looking at us. Having harbor master at the closest marina on speed dial and she was looking for us as well ... Some very nice ppl stopped and towed us in ... I think having a thread or fellow sniffers phone numbers handy is an excellent idea ... RNP is s big ol teddy bear and i think anyone here would tow someone in if they could Most boaters are like bikers and just trying to help someone out ... Cause in the end if it hasnt happened yet... It will

crawdaddundee
08-05-2016, 02:31 AM
[QUOTE=sportygirl;1100864]After sitting on a holiday weekend kicker and big motor dying on us...(And no beer [emoji30]) had about 9 boats go by just looking at us. Having harbor master at the closest marina on speed dial and she was looking for us as well ... Some very nice ppl stopped and towed us in ... I think having a thread or fellow sniffers phone numbers handy is an excellent idea ... RNP is s big ol teddy bear and i think anyone here would tow someone in if they could Most boaters are like bikers and just trying to help someone out ... Cause in the end if it hasnt happened yet... It will

So next time you break down instead of waving your hands to get another boaters attention and getting all frustrated when they don;t respond, just flip the guy off and i assure you he will come right over to lend you a hand. Moral of the story...Don;t take junk boats out on the river.

Seon
08-05-2016, 05:20 AM
I've towed several boats in at no charge.

Years ago, while trolling for Salmon at Ft Bragg in nasty weather my downringger wire wrapped around my prop. Fortunately I just mount a new Yamaha T8 kicker that brought us in. It took a while but we made it back on our own.

As mentioned above, have kicker...they are worth their weight in gold when one is dead in the water.

sportygirl
08-05-2016, 06:18 AM
So next time you break down instead of waving your hands to get another boaters attention and getting all frustrated when they don;t respond, just flip the guy off and i assure you he will come right over to lend you a hand. Moral of the story...Don;t take junk boats out on the river.[/

You always a jerk??? Or just here ??? Flip me off and I guarantee I'm not stopping ....and can't wait till your boat dies on you ...

lund16
08-05-2016, 06:56 AM
Nearest boatus tow service is based at bethal island, there web site says 50 miles which covers the delta. Here's the thing a small kicker say 3.5hp weighs in at 43lbs dry. My 16.9 tinny with a 25hp yama and my big butt is already aft heavy. I've already moved both batteries to inside the front seat and the fuel tank to the middle. The 25hp idles down to 1.5 mph which works fine for trolling. The minn kota is a 55lb which is about .70 hp which is fine on a lake but not upriver. If I put a gas powered kicker on it would only be used if my main is broken. Thats a 1000 bucks that would have only one purpose. I'm planning on a new 40hp next year so the extra weight with a kicker would put me in the cartoon category. I could fill the bow area with beer to counterbalance everything:goodidea4gq:

Rockit73
08-05-2016, 07:25 AM
I think you can call the Sheriff and they will come get you.
Not normally.
Only if they're on duty, close and available. They won't launch and respond unless there is a safety issue.
At least Sac Sheriff.

redneckpunk
08-05-2016, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE=sportygirl;1100864]Moral of the story...Don;t take junk boats out on the river.

"Junk boat"? My "junk boat" in the last three years has towed more boats off of lakes and rivers than you have probably ever thought of doing. But, despite the generosity, I now know of one boat that would never have the privilege. You can wave and flip me off to your hearts content but you'd receive nothing more than a single finger salute in return

~RNP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LONO100
08-05-2016, 10:18 AM
a kicker motor and/or a trusty trolling motor on it's own battery is always a good play. the last trip i took with my old boat was on a freezing morning and i managed to get rope wrapped around my prop and there was no way i was getting it untangled unless i got in the water which wasnt an option b/c of the freezing temps. we limped back to the launch on the trolling motor and it wasn't the only time. so even if you're in a solid, brand new, spiffy boat, things can happen on the water that will stop you in your tracks.

a good policy is always to pay it forward. not just b/c it's the right thing to do, but b/c it's good karma! my wife and i go off road into the mountains a lot to hike, and camp, i have pulled quite a few people out of jams, and have been pulled out by just as many good folks out there. ive also needed a tow on the water once, and if i ever see someone in need on the water and my boat can do it, i will be pitching in what i can. pay it forward, you will feel good about doing something good, and karma will reward you!

another thing to have on the boat is a radio. you can send out a distress call if worse comes to worse.

lund16
08-05-2016, 12:07 PM
In my family the finger means I love you, so I'm feeling the love here.

crawdaddundee
08-06-2016, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=sportygirl;1100878]So next time you break down instead of waving your hands to get another boaters attention and getting all frustrated when they don;t respond, just flip the guy off and i assure you he will come right over to lend you a hand. Moral of the story...Don;t take junk boats out on the river.[/

You always a jerk??? Or just here ??? Flip me off and I guarantee I'm not stopping ....and can't wait till your boat dies on you ...

Chill out. If you can"t take a little humor then try another venue

sportygirl
08-06-2016, 05:17 PM
My sense of humor is reserved for those who are actually funny. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160807/308c018a8a78c387c8d889c39c55d712.jpg