PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Orange??

Grncrestliner
09-22-2016, 04:44 AM
With the general rifle season opening this weekend for a lot of us I thought I would ask your opinion on wearing hunter orange or any easily seen bright clothing while deer or bear hunting during gun season. I started wearing red or orange when I was in my teens and that was at least a few years ago. I actually do have some success and probably 80-90% of my successful hunts have been while wearing something bright as my outer garment. I currently hunt with a bird vest by Cabela's that is 50% Orange. I wear an orange hat also depending on circumstances. I think The only times I have taken a big game animal in the last 30 years without orange (or red) is when it was raining and my raingear was over my orange. I do have an orange Goretex hat that is my normal rain hat but occasionally I have worn something warmer. Most of my hunting buddies wear at least an orange hat and some wear a hunting vest that is orange similar to mine. I want the other guys to know I am not a bear or some other animal. I have talked to some hunters who think I am nuts but I do not think the orange has changed my success rate. Did I wear orange on my archery hunt? No I did not but that is different from gun hunting. The other nice thing about being visible is it is way easier to keep track of your hunting buddies when you separate and generally speaking when I see another hunter a long ways off I can easily tell if it is a member of our group by the orange hat or vest.
This is a photo of what I typically wear. Did this buck know I was there? Yes he did but I was still able to make the shot.

BigUnInDaBoat
09-22-2016, 11:24 AM
I personally do not. Filled a tag every year since 2013 (when i started hunting) but it helps living 10 mins from the national Forest.

muledeer12
10-07-2016, 06:36 AM
I have worn at least a hat and usually a vest every year for the past 40 years, CA, NV, ID, CO, MT and UT...taken deer in each state and never had an issue. Agree that it much easier to identify hunter a long way off or even when walking thru the brush / trees. Don't believe it has any bearing on success.

dthome
10-18-2016, 05:52 PM
I wear it during rifle season only.