PDA

View Full Version : Union Valley Reservoir?

elpollodaro
10-20-2016, 03:41 AM
Any reports from up here would be greatly appreciated.

fishwrong2
10-20-2016, 04:27 PM
Nothing recent. I did hear the locked the gate to the Sunset Ramp, but the dam ramp is always open. I haven't seen it for myself, so don't take it as gospel, but it might save a half hour detour.

Good luck if you go.

elpollodaro
10-21-2016, 05:05 PM
Thanks for all the info. Ended up going to Englebright it's a lot closer for me. Managed to feed the fishes a bunch of worms but didn't land anything.

kightboy
11-08-2016, 09:30 PM
UVR
I keep going back up there because I keep catching fish.
5 trips since about Sept 15th and caught 2 to 5 each time - all were 14" to 18" Lassen (cutbow?) trout each time.
Two of them were peculiar looking humpbacks that tasted just as good as the others. All 5 trips were into the arms on the east side of the lake where it begins to get narrow and fishing from the bank in fairly deep drop-offs.
Since the recent rains the creeks are now flowing into the lake and the very last Bow I caught was stuffed with earthworms - probably 40 in it's stomach. I guess that the worms were being washed into the lake from the river as I was fishing only 300 yards into the lake next to an inflowing creek. You can see in the photos that the water is still pretty low. Looks like 25 feet below high water mark.
This was the last trip which was last saturday the 5th and caught two = 13" and 17". one on chartreuse powerbait and the other on the garlic flavored trout "eggs" that are half yellow and half clear with half of a a little white plastic (berkeley)trout worm tipping the hook.
I think, after cleaning that last fish that was stuffed with worms, if I'd brought worms I'd likely have done even better. On the 4 previous trips myself and my son-in-law caught: 3 each,2 limits, 2 limits and then 3 each.
30% on inflated mini crawlers or regular red worms and 70% on powerbait. Note that it's getting cold up there at dawn. About 18 degrees when I arrived at dawn and still only about 38 when I left at 10:30. Next storm it'll probably snow and then I'll be done until next year. Might get up there once more though, before it gets nasty.
I find that, once the sun gets on the water, the liddle fishies go hide so I go home to put my gear away, put the fish in the freezer and take a nap.
A few pics from last Sat. - mist on the water at about 9am. 29556humpback trout29557enjoying the morning and watching the rods2955829559This (son-in-law) biggest one we caught mid-october - about 2 1/2 lb.29560

fishwrong2
11-09-2016, 05:14 AM
Great news. Those Lassen fish sure are nice. Glad to see you've got a nice pattern dialed in.

Thanks for the report.

kightboy
11-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Latest report. The shoreline that I've been fishing at UVR has finally slowed down.
Went up there last Saturday and two of us caught one-each. Now that beats the heck out of being skunked so I'm not complaining but the steady action that we say in September and October has now stopped at this area. Completely different conditions now that there's been some rain and cold.
We saw a couple of Kokanee carcasses from spawners in early November.
I'll want to try with the downriggers for Kokanee at UVR next summer for sure.
Winter has arrived and there'll be a dump of snow up there this weekend.
Chris

Maxumfishin
11-21-2016, 01:01 PM
I went on the 15th and Sunset was open. Three Rainbows and two macks. Unknown on the amount of snow up there recently though.